TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Gt500 or not?

Craigswardmtb

I'm in the market and this car has me questioning if it's really a Shelby gt500. No plaque, no stripes or Shelby anywhere. And the price is pretty darn appealing.

http://www.cars.com/...onal&listType=3

The photos appears to be of a GT500. You'll need to aks the seller for the VIN number for confirmation. If its a Shelby GT500 the VIN sequence will have 88S in it.

Even if the VIN checks out I would proceed with caution as this ad is just too vague.

Steve

looks absolutely real. and that's a hell of a price for such a low-mileage car. snap it up and don't look back. the only things you will need to really watch for are clutch issues (there were service bulletins on that topic) and a harmonic balancer upgrade. on 2008+ models, ford put a new harmonic balancer that weighs about 1/2 that of the 2007 version. you can buy them new for $300.

also, this car has a custom john lund tune on it, but appears to only have a cold-air kit, so it would be easy to put back to stock if desired. make sure you get the hand-held tuner/programmer from the seller with the purchase so that you can revert to stock or do your own customizations down the road if you choose. when i bought my car, it already had a custom pulley and tune, but no programmer. i asked my dealer to re-flash the ecm back to stock and went and bought a programmer from VMP tuning for the mods that were already on the car. those programmers run $400.

looks absolutely real. and that's a hell of a price for such a low-mileage car. snap it up and don't look back.

If it sounds too good to be true......

I smell a scam. This is VERY typical of a scam. Offer a high dollar car at a low price. Suckers flock to them.

I'd be careful if I was the buyer.

Tread lightly,

Phill

No plaque, no stripes or Shelby anywhere.

It says SHELBY right across the rear trunk lid....

It's a Shelby GT500, no doubt about it. The engine gives it away.

See my previous post regarding scams though.

Phill

I ran in to the same issues, meaning curious if the cars I was looking at were indeed a Shelby. After seeing so many cars with the dash plaques I thought that is how they came, so if it wasn't mounted I was a sceptic. The price really isn't that great, its good though. I searched for more than 6 months last year and typical low mileage was around $31-$34k

Everyone who has posted has legitimate comments and concerns. Good looking ride, hope it works out well for you.

I had a beautiful Griggs Shelby on the market for 2 months last year at 36k - no sale. I took it off the market and decided I wanted to keep it anyway but if I were one wanting a quick sale right now - 29k would do it. Ask 33-35 and wait months....and maybe sell.

I am not sure why people seem to think this is so cheap there must be something wrong? What are real sale prices for 2007 GT500's with 15K mikes?

The price vs mileage is certainly in the ballpark. In fact it leans more towards a decent buy, so the question is why hasn't it sold?

No VIN number posted, no license plate shown, no CarFax report shown, no location specified, no seller contact info other than a name, all makes me suspicious of the ad. Again could be 100% legit but the one time when you don't step back and look at the big picture is usually when you get burned.

Steve

I paid 32,500 for mine this past Jan, 2012 and mine is a convertible.

The thing I would worry about like alot of others have stated is be careful of the scam.

I was looking at an explorer a few years ago and I suspect it was a scam. When I emailed the "owner" he asked for so many requirements, I just walked away.

Just be careful.

I paid 32,500 for mine this past Jan, 2012 and mine is a convertible.

The thing I would worry about like alot of others have stated is be careful of the scam.

I was looking at an explorer a few years ago and I suspect it was a scam. When I emailed the "owner" he asked for so many requirements, I just walked away.

Just be careful.

Usually; The car is somewhere else so the owner "can't get" requested pics, payment is to be sent to London England UK (or some other country not the USA).

Phill

My situation was a bit different.

Explorer was in a garage in Miami, owner in Ohio. He had to move there for work. He wanted me to deposit the money in an account and give access to view (not transact) so he could tell I had the money. THEN, he would book the flight to Miami. I told him I was bringing cash and wanted to look at it and if I wanted it I would pay cash.

His response was to deposit it into my account.....I said screw that...I am not giving you any access. And found something else.

My situation was a bit different.

Explorer was in a garage in Miami, owner in Ohio. He had to move there for work. He wanted me to deposit the money in an account and give access to view (not transact) so he could tell I had the money. THEN, he would book the flight to Miami. I told him I was bringing cash and wanted to look at it and if I wanted it I would pay cash.

His response was to deposit it into my account.....I said screw that...I am not giving you any access. And found something else.

YEP! Same thing. Car is in a different location than owner, can't get to it to see it before buying, etc.

THAT was a SCAM! I ran across one just like it on e-bay where a guy was selling a custom car for pennies on the dollar. I wanted to see it (I knew it was a scam) and he had every excuse why I couldn't other than to keep insisting that if I wanted it so badly, buy it (send him the money).

Hey, I was born in the DAY but I wasn't born YESTERDAY!

Phill

OK, so trim and stripe breakdown reads as follows:

Ebony coupes with black/black interiors - 434 of the 1,689 Ebony coupes

Ebony coupes with strip delete - 147 of the 1,689. So it's at most 147/1689 and depending on how that mixes with the interior colors, could be less! So a fairly rare car. Don't forget there were 8,152 coupes manufactured in 2007.

Personally, I would love to have this car, this way assuming it checks out. You can always add the stripes if you want. All black is awesome.

Let us know if it checks out or if it was a scam please!

Looks to be a scam. Photos hijacked from an ebay auction.

This GT500 is for sale in Iowa and the sellers name is NOT Patrick Stephens.

The VIN number is 1zvht88s775216517

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-Shelby-GT500-Black-Black-Stripe-Delete-Over-600hp-Pristine-/271025703314

Sometimes you have to just listen to your gut feelings.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

hey,

i just came across this! Did anyone find anything out? Back in 2010 when I was shopping ,I came across a 2007 w/2000 miles for $17500.00 i thought it was a misprint so I emailed. They told me it was a divorce settlement. They lived in Mich. ,but I had to send money to canada. I called my credit union and they said it could be a scam. I called Autotrader an they tried to phone the seller and got no response. They took it off the web site right away. I knew it was too good to be true. P.S. I emailed that person several times and they responed back each time. After I called autotrader I never heard back again. Ed

Archived