TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rocket Boys and Six Degrees of Separation

I've read the book Rocket Boys and watched the movie October Sky (an anagram) many times, whenever it shows up on TV. It is the story of Homer Hickam, Jr, who was a real "rocket guy" in a little town named Coalwood in West Virgina.

Well tonight I'm sitting in the local watering hole talking with the locals and this guy who lives down the street from there (as I do, in the other direction) tells the story that his grandmother went to the same school, and they still have family reunions in the area. He's been to the flat top where they launched the rockets and a couple of years ago took his grandmother to their high school (where Homer went too, but earlier). A picture of her was hanging on the wall.

How is that for cool?

P.S. Rocket Boys was a really good book (with lots of personal details left out of the movie) but Homer's book The Coalwood Way - about their town - is personal and a great read about growing up in a small town.

Is that the movie, where dad wants the son to be a coal miner and his dream is to build rockets? In the movie, dad gets hurt, the boy ends up in the mine, quits and goes to the High School science fair and wins?

That's the one...

Homer did build rockets. Big ones. He worked for NASA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homer_Hickam

He seems to be a full time writer now.

• 3 months later...

Archived