TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Super snake price finally released for 2013!!!

svt13

Ah, now I see. Sounds very scientific!

Duh I am a engineer obviously lol. But seriously the radiator and heat exchanger they use are Van's. The new stuff is even larger and more efficient. I think Van may be working on improving his in the future

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most have paid over $60K + $29K for base package + what everyone really wants more power and you are well north of $100K

You got that right. I am appalled at the thought of them charging $30K for badging. You know there will be people that go out and waste that kind of money on one of these. I am sorry but I don't care what kind of legendary name Shelby is, you are getting 1/3 of your value for that $30K. I could give Revan or VMP $30K, they could burn $15K of it with a match, use the other $15K to upgrade my car and it would be better than the $90K SS. How cares it would not have a CSM and all the gaudy badging.

Sure that but I was thinking more like now you are in the Porsche range and a far superior automobile.

Lastly, yes this is American and to each his own. This is just one man and one man's only opinion. Yes it is only my opinion. Carry on :P

I agree that is Porsche C4S territory or slightly used Turbo. Nothing against the ZR1, but if I pay $100K I want a nice interior, Porsche has this down. I am convinced my next car will be another P-Car, but I will keep my Shelby as well. By the way that $15K you give Revan would include some Horsepower, this $30K does not.

To each their own, but for me 2 plus 2 does not equal based on what your getting.

Well, looks like I will forget about a SS, it seems there is no way for me to order the GT500 base vehicle and have much hope of getting that before late spring, if ever. But at least the dealer didn't try to gouge with dealer premiums to jump the line.....

What you can't get the $54k base vehicle as stated? What a surprise. So your SS would really be like $90k+ with zero HP gains.

You are not missing anything.

They are using the same radiator and Heat exchanger from Van. The new stuff is better than that stuff. Hence downgrade.

My question to you is

Where did you find any information about the Shelby America SS radiator and heat exchanger being a downgrade from the factory 2013 Ford GT500 components?

I can tell you from my experience with my 2013 GT500 on a dyno that the factory heat exchanger on a hot day causes power loses very quickly. We did three back to back dyno runs with roughly a 3 to 4 minute break between each run. By the third run the engine lost 32 Hp to the tires due to heat soaking of the H/E. We had a fan in front of the car ramming air strictly into the lower grill opening/heat exchanger while testing. This told me the factory heat exchanger needs to be upgraded if you are going to be serious about Hp improvements to the car.

I know Ford upgraded the H/E over the 2012 model GT500 in the 2013 cars, but how do you know the Shelby H/E isn't better than the 2013 GT500 H/E? How do you know the 2013 GT500 radiator is better than the Shelby Radiator?

Where did you find this information?

I'm not trying to bust on you...........I want to know this information for myself, because I plan on stepping on the power and I don't want to buy an inferior product to keep things cool. Who builds the best Radiator and Heat Exchanger for a GT500? I was actually thinking of the Shelby H/E from a S1000 would be the best product, because it is larger than the standard H/E in a GT500SS from everything I've read to date

My question to you is

Where did you find any information about the Shelby America SS radiator and heat exchanger being a downgrade from the factory 2013 Ford GT500 components?

I can tell you from my experience with my 2013 GT500 on a dyno that the factory heat exchanger on a hot day causes power loses very quickly. We did three back to back dyno runs with roughly a 3 to 4 minute break between each run. By the third run the engine lost 32 Hp to the tires due to heat soaking of the H/E. We had a fan in front of the car ramming air strictly into the lower grill opening/heat exchanger while testing. This told me the factory heat exchanger needs to be upgraded if you are going to be serious about Hp improvements to the car.

I know Ford upgraded the H/E over the 2012 model GT500 in the 2013 cars, but how do you know the Shelby H/E isn't better than the 2013 GT500 H/E? How do you know the 2013 GT500 radiator is better than the Shelby Radiator?

Where did you find this information?

I'm not trying to bust on you...........I want to know this information for myself, because I plan on stepping on the power and I don't want to buy an inferior product to keep things cool. Who builds the best Radiator and Heat Exchanger for a GT500? I was actually thinking of the Shelby H/E from a S1000 would be the best product, because it is larger than the standard H/E in a GT500SS from everything I've read to date

Van builds the H/E and radiator shelby sells. Though he is no longer affilated with them. I asked him if it would be an upgrade to swap. He said no. Steeda tried too but that didn't work either. The 13 heat exchanger is so large that the aftermarket companies all have to make new ones. Remember shelby doesn't make any parts for themselves. The same stuff is on the shelby 1000.

The shelby 1000 is essentially like every SPP part you can put on a car.

What R&D? Give me a break. They are putting on a bunch or already proven bolt-on's that ANYONE could go out and buy for far less money. You are buying the name and sorry gone or not this kind of mark up is a flat out joke. Scary where Shelby is headed pricing things like this. You are right people will pay, but far less people will pay. Soon they will become non-relevant.

DID YOU NOT SEE THE TEASE PICTURES THAT WERE POSTED? That was one part of R&D the body pieces. Even though there are a lot of bolts and such they still have to be tested and tuned. They didn't just piece a car together. Again. I will not get the SS Package, it isn't worth it to me. I honestly think that they will do just fine on those that actually want this. This is an age-old argument. Oh that is too much money, but someone comes along and pays it. That's how things go man. Your response seems poutty instead of well thought out. I can't afford this package, so I won't buy it, that doesn't mean this doesn't make business sense, nor that they won't sell Super Snakes...Quite the contrary my friend and you will see that.

....Remember shelby doesn't make any parts for themselves.....

Depending on your definition, that is not a true statement.

Shelby has, and is, designing an developing their own parts. Shelby then works with a supplier to produce those parts. There just are not a significant number of parts realitive to those sourced directly from a vendor.

The transmission scoop is just one example.

DID YOU NOT SEE THE TEASE PICTURES THAT WERE POSTED? That was one part of R&D the body pieces. Even though there are a lot of bolts and such they still have to be tested and tuned. They didn't just piece a car together. Again. I will not get the SS Package, it isn't worth it to me. I honestly think that they will do just fine on those that actually want this. This is an age-old argument. Oh that is too much money, but someone comes along and pays it. That's how things go man. Your response seems poutty instead of well thought out. I can't afford this package, so I won't buy it, that doesn't mean this doesn't make business sense, nor that they won't sell Super Snakes...Quite the contrary my friend and you will see that.

I hear you. I guess your definition of R&D and mine are quite different and that is ok that is what a forum is for. Not really sure my reply was "poutty" but yes I can afford the kit and maybe even 2 but that does not mean I am going to "waste" my money on $29K worth of bolt on pieces and some CS signature stuff that is probably worth half that. Also I thought SS were supposed to be better than the car they are modifying... no HP gains or HP improvements for the first $29K? Huh sounds like what Roush does. Put a bunch of bolt on's and some badging and then gouge the customer.

Lastly you are right, people will waste their money on this car, Shelby will sell some. Eventually they will get so greedy and continue to ask these prices and less and less people will buy them. Ask how that worked for Saleen.

To each is own. That is why there is a forum to express thoughts, comments and concerns. Didn't figure you and everyone else would agree with me nor would I want you to.

Depending on your definition, that is not a true statement.

Shelby has, and is, designing an developing their own parts. Shelby then works with a supplier to produce those parts. There just are not a significant number of parts realitive to those sourced directly from a vendor.

The transmission scoop is just one example.

Where is Phill?? He can explain this to you better than I. Shelby does not make parts.

Van builds the H/E and radiator shelby sells. Though he is no longer affilated with them. I asked him if it would be an upgrade to swap. He said no. Steeda tried too but that didn't work either. The 13 heat exchanger is so large that the aftermarket companies all have to make new ones. Remember shelby doesn't make any parts for themselves. The same stuff is on the shelby 1000.

The shelby 1000 is essentially like every SPP part you can put on a car.

Shelby has two different H/E for sale. The first one is what I believe is being used on the earlier SS cars with the cooling upgrade option. The second cooler was built for the 2012 S1000 as a competition H/E. Now I've seen in some of Roger's posts from SAI that he claims that the 2013 GT500 SS package use a different radiator and H/E package than the earlier SS packages. I've tried getting technical information in the past from Shelby about anything used on a SS with little success, so what is being installed on the cars at the present time is pure speculation. Roger seemed to get angry when the cooling capacity was brought up in questioning of the prototype build of the 2013 SS, instead of stating the facts of what was being done. Like I said, it seems Shelby doesn't want to enlighten the customer or prospective customers of what the actual parts and specifications used to complete a car are, let alone telling you what actual part they are using from which vendors. It would be nice to know if the Shelby/C & R/Revan Racing competition H/E is better than a stock 2013 H/E, but I doubt anybody will answer that one

http://www.shelbysto...s5m-6k775-u.htm

http://www.shelbysto...s7m-6k775-c.htm

Where is Phill?? He can explain this to you better than I. Shelby does not make parts.

Phill does not need to explain anything.

I was pretty clear. Depending on your definition, claiming Shelby does not make their own parts is not a correct statement. Shelby does rebrand many parts but they have also developed several parts in house which are then produced by a supplier to Shelby's specs. There are very few aftermarket automotive performance shops who produce their parts in house. Roush is one of the few with this capability and even they do not produce everything they offer in house.

Van does not 'make' the Rads for Shelby. C&R produces them to what I assume are Van's specs.

Tossing out a statement that Shelby does not make anything is the same as claiming Ford doesn't make anything. The cars Ford sells are made up of thousands of parts made by hundreds of suppliers to Ford's specifications. Ford 'makes' very few parts relative to sum total of parts used.

I don't think Phil needs to explain...........EL SHELBY is 100% correct. "Shelby has, and is, designing and developing their own parts. Shelby then works with a supplier to produce those parts. There just are not a significant number of parts realitive to those sourced directly from a vendor".

I don't think Phil needs to explain...........EL SHELBY is 100% correct. "Shelby has, and is, designing and developing their own parts. Shelby then works with a supplier to produce those parts. There just are not a significant number of parts realitive to those sourced directly from a vendor".

Well he is the one always saying shelby doesn't make parts. I remember he gave me some explanation as to why but I don't remember thats why I said it would be better if he chimed in, thats all.

Shelby has two different H/E for sale. The first one is what I believe is being used on the earlier SS cars with the cooling upgrade option. The second cooler was built for the 2012 S1000 as a competition H/E. Now I've seen in some of Roger's posts from SAI that he claims that the 2013 GT500 SS package use a different radiator and H/E package than the earlier SS packages. I've tried getting technical information in the past from Shelby about anything used on a SS with little success, so what is being installed on the cars at the present time is pure speculation. Roger seemed to get angry when the cooling capacity was brought up in questioning of the prototype build of the 2013 SS, instead of stating the facts of what was being done. Like I said, it seems Shelby doesn't want to enlighten the customer or prospective customers of what the actual parts and specifications used to complete a car are, let alone telling you what actual part they are using from which vendors. It would be nice to know if the Shelby/C & R/Revan Racing competition H/E is better than a stock 2013 H/E, but I doubt anybody will answer that one

http://www.shelbysto...s5m-6k775-u.htm

http://www.shelbysto...s7m-6k775-c.htm

Is the 2nd one on the shelby 1000?

Phill does not need to explain anything.

I was pretty clear. Depending on your definition, claiming Shelby does not make their own parts is not a correct statement. Shelby does rebrand many parts but they have also developed several parts in house which are then produced by a supplier to Shelby's specs. There are very few aftermarket automotive performance shops who produce their parts in house. Roush is one of the few with this capability and even they do not produce everything they offer in house.

Van does not 'make' the Rads for Shelby. C&R produces them to what I assume are Van's specs.

Tossing out a statement that Shelby does not make anything is the same as claiming Ford doesn't make anything. The cars Ford sells are made up of thousands of parts made by hundreds of suppliers to Ford's specifications. Ford 'makes' very few parts relative to sum total of parts used.

Van and C&R designed the heat exhcanger and radiator together. Shelby uses that same one.

Well he is the one always saying shelby doesn't make parts. I remember he gave me some explanation as to why but I don't remember thats why I said it would be better if he chimed in, thats all.

Got it.........I agree with you that Shelby does not manufacture production parts but they do manufacture R&D parts for what they use and sell.

On a side note, have you been able to get a set of the Alcoa wheels?

Got it.........I agree with you that Shelby does not manufacture production parts but they do manufacture R&D parts for what they use and sell.

On a side note, have you been able to get a set of the Alcoa wheels?

There are 2 sets on ebay now. One regular alcoa and one super snake. Paac on here is also selling a set of actual super snakes. I decided to wait and see if Jer comes through. If he doesn't I'll either wait for the next set and definitely get them or just get a set of HREs.

Leaning more towards the alcoas since super snake or not they are cheaper than the HREs and I'd be able to get my money back on them as oppose to the HREs

I hear you. I guess your definition of R&D and mine are quite different and that is ok that is what a forum is for. Not really sure my reply was "poutty" but yes I can afford the kit and maybe even 2 but that does not mean I am going to "waste" my money on $29K worth of bolt on pieces and some CS signature stuff that is probably worth half that. Also I thought SS were supposed to be better than the car they are modifying... no HP gains or HP improvements for the first $29K? Huh sounds like what Roush does. Put a bunch of bolt on's and some badging and then gouge the customer.

Lastly you are right, people will waste their money on this car, Shelby will sell some. Eventually they will get so greedy and continue to ask these prices and less and less people will buy them. Ask how that worked for Saleen.

To each is own. That is why there is a forum to express thoughts, comments and concerns. Didn't figure you and everyone else would agree with me nor would I want you to.

Yeah man, I am not buying that garbage either. You can do much better for less. I can't afford it really. I could probably stretch myself to afford it, but not worht it. Either way, it is sad that the value isn't there for me, but I don't see ANYTHING wrong with having a COMLETELY stock 2013 GT500, and that is what I am setting out to do.... Ok maybe the hood struts only.

Really interested to hear Shelby's response. I was at Shelby last week and saw the 13 SS there and it is a very impressive car. Not sure if it's 100k impressive but still impressive. Those Michelin tires would be about 2k alone. Kind of disappointed they are using Wilwood's on there. The Baer's are fantastic. But I know it could come down to money between the two brakes. Overall, I think Shelby could get away with charging MAYBE 15-16K Max. For the standard package. Those prices I would imagine would drive away a lot of potential customers. But then again, the SS is not intended to be something everyone can easily get.

And also about the wheels, honestly, they are not that bad in person. The machine finished wheels do look fairly hideous. But I really think polished like the durabright finish or black finish, those wheels would look pretty good.

And from my understanding, that 29k price is basically just appearance and suspension. Only 662HP. Upgraded is 40k for 850HP. MAN! I'm pretty much right on the same level as a SS and have only spent maybe 14k and am just one step, maybe 7k away from 850HP. So yeah, pretty much half the price you could build your own SS but you just don't get the badges and CSM.

Also did anyone catch the optional Shelby wide body kit conversion!? Very cool. Interested to see how much it would cost someone if they were to do every option available as well. Maybe upwards of 60k?

The Wilwood brakes are far superior to the Baer brakes, how many Nascar cars do you see with Baer brakes?

Archived