TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Cancelling AAA roadside assistance membership today

My wife had a blowout on her horse trailer coming home from state fair yesterday on the highway. My 9 yo daughter was with her. They were off to the side of a very busy interstate hiway. No horses in the trailer, just some sheep. I called AAA. I have had AAA for over 20 years and never needed it. The first gal I talked to said there is nothing they can do since they no longer will touch any kind of trailer. I sayed all she needed was somebody to help loosen the lug nuts on a simple trailer tire. Sorry can't do anything, but let me check for sure since she is in an unsafe place. Over 1/2 hour on hold and then she drops me. Luckily, I have already started the 1 1/2 hour treck to where she is. I call back and get somebody else. No record that I called the first time. So she starts over. I get the same shpeal. However because she is in a dangerous position, she goes and checks. 20 minutes on hold again. She comes back and says sorry, against thier policy, offer no assistance at all. Then she see's that I've only got the basic $75 year membership (which went up $30 this year). I would personally have to be there even if they could help. Every additional family member now is an additional $37 a year over basic membership. So now they want $107 a year for two people who are already insured by them. If you don't use that service in two years, you have any 4 mile tow bill or locksmith already covered. I'm completely finished with AAA. 12 hours later and I'm still fuming!!!!

Sucks that they don't do trailers. However, you should always read your agreement regarding how coverage works so you don't get pissed off when it's not how you want. I pay for membership for me, my wife and son. I also have extended tow coverage (which has come in handy twice over the 18 years I've had it). BTW, I've never had a AAA tow truck arrive any quicker than an hour and a half after I called. The only reason I keep the service is because I have their Visa Card that has a low rate (less than 8%) and I get 5% off my gas. The gas rebate alone more than pays for my annual AAA fee.

I have them also with the PLUS coverage and coverage on my RV. Wifey is on policy also. It is a ripoff for the spouse's coverage but we have been a customer for 15 yrs. The discount on hotel rates makes up for it also. Traveling for the shows gets expensive.

We had a flat on the RV last year, AAA came out to change it. Guy grumbled about it, but changed it. It sucks when you dont have it.

I also agree, to get service it takes 1.5 hrs....not sure why. :shrug:

I have no love of insurance companies but the roadside AAA has been great for me. My wife, myself and my kids have used it numerous times over the years and have never had a problem. 1 1/2 hours for service? I'd quit that too. Here in California the tow truck drivers are affiliated with AAA, they don't work for them. So generally you get service from the closest drivers. I've never done the trailer thing though, that blows.

Went through my entire policy this morning. I have it readily available since I just paid it two weeks ago. No mention of trailers what so ever. Talks about everything they will do, but nothing about exclusions. I've paid in over $900 just in membership fees over the years and never needed it until now, so that doesn't make sense to me at all. Make sure and look over your policy for the changes they have made this year. Last year towing was unlimited to get you somewhere that can help, this year it's only 4 miles max on the basic plan that went up $30. A 4 mile tow will cost you an average of $100 on a standard car/truck. I just can't make sense of that for me. My wife was terrified last night on the hiway where they were. AAA didn't even offer to get a service there that we could pay for.

I have no love of insurance companies but the roadside AAA has been great for me. My wife, myself and my kids have used it numerous times over the years and have never had a problem. 1 1/2 hours for service? I'd quit that too. Here in California the tow truck drivers are affiliated with AAA, they don't work for them. So generally you get service from the closest drivers. I've never done the trailer thing though, that blows.

Torch,

Do you have separate memberships for your family? Great if it works for you, but if they have had to have a tow or assistance under your membership, that is no longer valid, you have to pay for them as associate members. This is new this year at least here in CO. Just maybe something to check if you haven't used it for a while.

I have them also with the PLUS coverage and coverage on my RV. Wifey is on policy also. It is a ripoff for the spouse's coverage but we have been a customer for 15 yrs. The discount on hotel rates makes up for it also. Traveling for the shows gets expensive.

We had a flat on the RV last year, AAA came out to change it. Guy grumbled about it, but changed it. It sucks when you dont have it.

I also agree, to get service it takes 1.5 hrs....not sure why. :shrug:

Just FYI, plus coverage or RV coverage will not cover trailers. They do not have any plan that will cover trailers, I asked when I cancelled this morning to verify as that is what one of the gals told me last night on the phone. That may be fine for some, but if we're on the hiway, we have a trailer behind us pretty much year around. Either car, or animals. This is the only reason I've kept the AAA over the years, just in case.

JeffJ,

Never thought about the trailer before. I am usually hauling my Shelby or Bronco on one of the two trailers all the time also. But, every time I have had a flat on the trailer, I have always just changed it as I carry everything with me.

As far as the flat on the RV last year, I had forgot about AAA. Wife said we pay for it, let them change it. I was on vacation, my response was, Good Idea...

Thanks Wayne, I will have to look into that...I wonder if it would cover the RV also? especially if it is towing Shelby. Do you have to be a hagerty customer for service?

Jim, You do have to be covered by them. It doesn't appear that RVs are covered with the flat bed service (I think they are eligable for other parts - but you would need to get clarification on that).

Went through my entire policy this morning. I have it readily available since I just paid it two weeks ago. No mention of trailers what so ever. Talks about everything they will do, but nothing about exclusions. I've paid in over $900 just in membership fees over the years and never needed it until now, so that doesn't make sense to me at all. Make sure and look over your policy for the changes they have made this year. Last year towing was unlimited to get you somewhere that can help, this year it's only 4 miles max on the basic plan that went up $30. A 4 mile tow will cost you an average of $100 on a standard car/truck. I just can't make sense of that for me. My wife was terrified last night on the hiway where they were. AAA didn't even offer to get a service there that we could pay for.

We are AAA Plus also....spouses are added free......we get the first 80 miles free......I know, I got towed home from Englishtown when my motor grenaded.

Have used them many many times over the years.......too many to remember unfortunately.....

other than always waiting a long time, sometimes far longer than 1.5 hours.....they have always rescued me (eventually).

sorry to hear they became some hosebags in your State.

We are AAA Plus also....spouses are added free......we get the first 80 miles free......I know, I got towed home from Englishtown when my motor grenaded.

Have used them many many times over the years.......too many to remember unfortunately.....

other than always waiting a long time, sometimes far longer than 1.5 hours.....they have always rescued me (eventually).

sorry to hear they became some hosebags in your State.

I'm glad you have had good experiences with them, but I challenge that your spouse is free when you renew this year. Later today I talked to my insurance agent (AAA) and told him what was going on, as my car, home, etc. insurance is still through him. He told me he's been hearing this alot this year. The new associate fees are country wide now he told me. They have been rolling it out for many years. The fees are different in multiple regions, but they are there. He's been getting constant complaint calls when his members are getting their renewals. It's quite a discussion amongst the agents he told me. Many unhappy people who have like me, been members for many, many years receiving 50-100% increases in membership fees this year. No, it's not a huge amount of money, but if you do not utilize it over time, $100-150 a year can pay for those services directly to the people doing it. That's just how I'm looking at it. What they put my wife and daughter through last night was just unacceptable and incomprehensible to me. All I asked was just to send a guy who can break lose the lug nuts. Carrie could have done the rest. Or even just go to keep them safe along side the highway in the dark until I could get there. All was refused.

Anyway, I'm glad that others are having good experiences, AAA has been around since cars have been around. I was absolutely shocked at the lack of compassion and customer service by a company with such a history.

Torch,

Do you have separate memberships for your family? Great if it works for you, but if they have had to have a tow or assistance under your membership, that is no longer valid, you have to pay for them as associate members. This is new this year at least here in CO. Just maybe something to check if you haven't used it for a while.

I need to check that out. Thanks

Hagery Premium or High-Octane Plans cover Collector Car type trailers - better plan and cheaper than AAA. Nice people to deal with also. Just my $.02 from a NJ Know It All. :burnout:

I agree 100% about the Hagerty premium plan.

Hagerty Plus best deal I have ever found. Flatbed service, all cars and members in household, no hassles, no BS.

I had AAA for 24 years, first time I needed them for a tow 50 miles cost me over $300. Read the small print on AAA and unless you have the Gold card the basic plan covers vertually nothing. Did'nt even know there was a Gold card after all those years with them.

You know for the price you pay for AAA, you would think getting help faster than 1.5 hrs.

Wick,

I had to add my wife for our AAA three yrs ago when she was in Oklahoma with my truck. Apparently, the glow plugs on the Excursion were not working and it hit 34* that morning. Truck would not start and she killed the battery. AAA charged us for her to be added. She has been on the policy since.

I guess different regions for different prices.

You know for the price you pay for AAA, you would think getting help faster than 1.5 hrs.

Wick,

I had to add my wife for our AAA three yrs ago when she was in Oklahoma with my truck. Apparently, the glow plugs on the Excursion were not working and it hit 34* that morning. Truck would not start and she killed the battery. AAA charged us for her to be added. She has been on the policy since.

I guess different regions for different prices.

yeah, strange that is different State to State.......but Dale just added me before we went to Europe.......and it was free...I asked her again last night and she confirmed....

she also reminded me that when I called them last Oct when the motor grenaded, I wasnt on the plan, she texted me the membership # and phone #,

the driver never even asked for the card.....he showed up, Loaded up my Shelby and drove me home!

Sorry you got such terrible service Jeff, I would be equally pissed. Wht if you had been out of town>? Stranding her like that for any customer especially a long timer like you is absolutely unacceptable.

They have a regional complaint manager, at least here they do.....it may be worth a call to him or her.....may not get you anywhere, but may be worth a try.

I am in NJ and have always had to pay extra to have my wife covered. We dropped AAA and went to Hagerty after our truck broke down in Bangor, Maine and we had TERRIBLE service and they didn't care. We had been with them almost 30 years too. Seems like they should be consistant with their rules and regulations. Just my $.02 from a NJ Know it all. :burnout:

I have never had AAA or really seen the benefit. I looked into AAA before the Europe trip as many people said there was some kind of mutual coverage. Turns out there is not. Also is is extra to cover my wife and more to cover my daughter.

I happen to know a few tow truck drivers here so I'd have to be towed 3 or 4 times a year to justify AAA and they only cover 3 tows a year anyway. Waiting 90 minutes or more is pretty much unacceptable.

Needed a locksmith a couple of years ago as my daughter locked her keys in the car. Got one for $40 and he was there and had the keys out in 15 minutes. I guess I just think I can handle any situation that they claim to be able to handle. And I think I can do it faster and cheaper than they can.

yeah, strange that is different State to State.......but Dale just added me before we went to Europe.......and it was free...I asked her again last night and she confirmed....

she also reminded me that when I called them last Oct when the motor grenaded, I wasnt on the plan, she texted me the membership # and phone #,

the driver never even asked for the card.....he showed up, Loaded up my Shelby and drove me home!

Sorry you got such terrible service Jeff, I would be equally pissed. Wht if you had been out of town>? Stranding her like that for any customer especially a long timer like you is absolutely unacceptable.

They have a regional complaint manager, at least here they do.....it may be worth a call to him or her.....may not get you anywhere, but may be worth a try.

That actually makes perfect sense that you were free then, since you were just added. If you go out to the website for your area, yep 1st year associate member is free. Next year will not be.

My wife had a blowout on her horse trailer coming home from state fair yesterday on the highway. My 9 yo daughter was with her. They were off to the side of a very busy interstate hiway. No horses in the trailer, just some sheep. I called AAA. I have had AAA for over 20 years and never needed it. The first gal I talked to said there is nothing they can do since they no longer will touch any kind of trailer. I sayed all she needed was somebody to help loosen the lug nuts on a simple trailer tire. Sorry can't do anything, but let me check for sure since she is in an unsafe place. Over 1/2 hour on hold and then she drops me. Luckily, I have already started the 1 1/2 hour treck to where she is. I call back and get somebody else. No record that I called the first time. So she starts over. I get the same shpeal. However because she is in a dangerous position, she goes and checks. 20 minutes on hold again. She comes back and says sorry, against thier policy, offer no assistance at all. Then she see's that I've only got the basic $75 year membership (which went up $30 this year). I would personally have to be there even if they could help. Every additional family member now is an additional $37 a year over basic membership. So now they want $107 a year for two people who are already insured by them. If you don't use that service in two years, you have any 4 mile tow bill or locksmith already covered. I'm completely finished with AAA. 12 hours later and I'm still fuming!!!!

I had a problem with AAA the first day I bought the Shelby on my drive home from Denver to So Cal, and I'm a 20+ year member too. It took a lot of work (phone calls and letters) to get reimbursed for all it cost me on the incident, but it finally happened.

Jeff, what happened with your wife and daughter is total BS. Their safety should have been a priority. They could have dispatched someone out there to do a "safety check" on them and while there, loosen the lug nuts at a minimum. I would not let this incident "fall to the side". Jeff you should write a letter to the Regional Manager, explaining the whole situation (and the fact you are a 20 year member) emphasizing the non caring attitude about the safety of your family and that is not acceptible. If you get no satisfactory answer, write directly to the Vice President of Membership. Keep pushing the matter until you get an answer that is to your satisfaction. That is the route I had to go.

Good luck and see you in Terlingua!!

Dan

Not wanting to piss in anybody's wheaties but I have a kit in my car to fix a flat on the side of the road without removing the tire. Kit includes a plug kit, a drill to drill out the hole (hate those reamers), pliers to pull out whatever is in the tire, a headlamp and a tarp.

I don't expect my wife to be able to do that when I'm not around so I threw a can of fix-a-flat in her vehicle to get her to safety. I consider my family's safety my responsibility. I try not to leave that up to strangers.

Not wanting to piss in anybody's wheaties but I have a kit in my car to fix a flat on the side of the road without removing the tire. Kit includes a plug kit, a drill to drill out the hole (hate those reamers), pliers to pull out whatever is in the tire, a headlamp and a tarp.

I don't expect my wife to be able to do that when I'm not around so I threw a can of fix-a-flat in her vehicle to get her to safety. I consider my family's safety my responsibility. I try not to leave that up to strangers.

While a great idea, that wasn't going to work in this case:

trailerflat.jpg

While a great idea, that wasn't going to work in this case:

trailerflat.jpg

My post was more in response to Blown Away. However, there are ways other than AAA to take care of the problem. First on the list should be a smart phone with something like yelp to find a towing service. If it's a safety concern maybe call the police.

BTW, what caused the tire to shred?

BTW, what caused the tire to shred?

Don't know, but that netting that you can see around the tire certainly doesn't belong there. I'm guessing there was some metal in there also which hooked under some of the rubber tread causing it to unravel. Probably something she ran over. That trailer is pretty small, so she didn't even know she had a flat until somebod flagged her down. Probably drove on it a couple miles like that causing the tire to do that.

I have Good Sam coverage. Got it to cover my RV. It covers the whole family, trailers, motorcycles. They have been good for me.

Tedj,

Funny you posted about GoodSam. Was watching TV the other night after this post started and seen a commercial for GoodSam. Thought to myself, "Self, you need to look back into that program". I was Good Sam member when I purchased RV 15 yrs ago and did not renew because we never used the benefits.

I will have to look at it again.

Archived