TEAM SHELBY FORUM

To sell or not to sell.

MY500SS

I've been kicking around the idea of selling CSX7076 in order to get a Ford GT. I really like the little Cobra but it's a bit high maintenance for my liking and I need to sell something to get the wifes blessing for the GT. I had my SS sold for a very good price but backed out of the deal as I became attached to the car after SRE 2012.

Two questions......what do you think the Cobra is worth and would you make the switch.

Thanks for your thoughts.

"I need to sell something to get the wifes blessing for the GT." (sic) This kind of post sickens me. Who earns the money? Do you sit to pee?

It's a team effort in our house.................can't help if that sickens you Rev.

Wow that's a tough decision.

The Cobra is such an iconic car and would be devastating to lose. But on the other hand you have the incredible FGT that could easily ease that pain of losing the Cobra. If your really itching for a Ford GT I would say go for it. That is such an awesome car. To me, if had an opportunity to own either a Ford GT or a Cobra I would have to go with the GT.

And if it sickens people that you need to get your wife's permission, that's a single man's thinking. But for people who are married and respect their wives and big decisions are joint decisions, I definitely respect that. It's good to see guys that care what their wives think about what they do. For me, I'm more than happy being single so I don't have someone telling what I can and can't do. Though if I had a family it would definitely be a lot different.

"I need to sell something to get the wifes blessing for the GT." (sic) This kind of post sickens me. Who earns the money? Do you sit to pee?

wow Dennis... this kind of post upsets me...

Wow that's a tough decision.

The Cobra is such an iconic car and would be devastating to lose. But on the other hand you have the incredible FGT that could easily ease that pain of losing the Cobra. If your really itching for a Ford GT I would say go for it. That is such an awesome car. To me, if had an opportunity to own either a Ford GT or a Cobra I would have to go with the GT.

And if it sickens people that you need to get your wife's permission, that's a single man's thinking. But for people who are married and respect their wives and big decisions are joint decisions, I definitely respect that. It's good to see guys that care what their wives think about what they do. For me, I'm more than happy being single so I don't have someone telling what I can and can't do. Though if I had a family it would definitely be a lot different.

good post and well stated... this one I like!

LOL, so says the guy with the least expensive vehicle one can buy and be in the Shelby club.

In reference to the guy who respects his wife, his family and the potential purchase of a $200 NON INVESTMENT toy as one to make WITH his significant other.

That's priceless.

MY500SS.. Tough call..If I had to make such a choice, ... Have ta say, I'd sell CSX7076 .. That car can be built again (or one like it), or purchased later pretty easy..unless that specific car has some personal meaning or history.

The GT is a dream car most will never know the pleasure of. No way I could ever turn down the chance to have one.... but alas... The Army is not paying senior enlisted folks that well....LOL

LOL, so says the guy with the least expensive vehicle one can buy and be in the Shelby club.

In reference to the guy who respects his wife, his family and the potential purchase of a $200 NON INVESTMENT toy as one to make WITH his significant other.

That's priceless.

MY500SS.. Tough call..If I had to make such a choice, ... Have ta say, I'd sell CSX7076 .. That car can be built again (or one like it), or purchased later pretty easy..unless that specific car has some personal meaning or history.

The GT is a dream car most will never know the pleasure of. No way I could ever turn down the chance to have one.... but alas... The Army is not paying senior enlisted folks that well....LOL

I would not call the Shelby GT/SC the least expensive way to get into the Shelby Family, he certainly could have gotten a GT500 and had money left over. That said I do agree my wife and I talk about most big purchases together.

Either car should hold value well, I guess it comes down to which one does it for you. Personally for me it would be the Ford GT.

Here is the best part, you can not go wrong either way!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go for the GT. I have had the opportunity to drive one and attend two of the GT rallys. A friend of mine has both a cobra and a heritage GT. The GT has it all over the cobra. I will most likly never be able to have one of mine own but at least I get to drive one from time to time.

"I would not call the Shelby GT/SC the least expensive way to get into the Shelby Family, he certainly could have gotten a GT500 and had money left over. That said I do agree my wife and I talk about most big purchases together."

Maybe he had a GT500 also. Maybe he saw the light.

I discuss larger purchases with my wife when they involve her. Like houses. If it is my toy I buy it. She has a job and buys her toys also.

I have always loved the lines of the GT40/Ford GT. Ever since the 60's. It has always been my dream car.

"I would not call the Shelby GT/SC the least expensive way to get into the Shelby Family, he certainly could have gotten a GT500 and had money left over. That said I do agree my wife and I talk about most big purchases together."

Maybe he had a GT500 also. Maybe he saw the light.

I discuss larger purchases with my wife when they involve her. Like houses. If it is my toy I buy it. She has a job and buys her toys also.

I have always loved the lines of the GT40/Ford GT. Ever since the 60's. It has always been my dream car.

Funny I knew you had the GT500, I remember your post when you originally bought the Shelby GT. I think your post may have been interpreted different than the intent.

I've been kicking around the idea of selling CSX7076 in order to get a Ford GT. I really like the little Cobra but it's a bit high maintenance for my liking and I need to sell something to get the wifes blessing for the GT. I had my SS sold for a very good price but backed out of the deal as I became attached to the car after SRE 2012.

Two questions......what do you think the Cobra is worth and would you make the switch.

Dan while I think your FIA car is very cool, you know how I feel when it comes to the FGT...I'm all in!

Those who don't, usually make sure they spill ..... all over the place. :hysterical:

Is it that kind of thing that differentiate real men from the others? :hysterical:

When I have the Shelby meet and greet at my house...I now rent a porta potty because of what happened one year. It seems some guys can't hit the toilet when they stand up and they peed all over the rim and spattered urine all over our walls. My wife was not happy to have to clean it all up.

OK...Back to Dans topic.

Get the GT. If you want a fun little car to play around with and like tinkering the Cobra is your toy, and it is an uncivilized beast. if you want a civilized beast with A/C, a place to plug in an iPod, and don't want your passenger to burn her leg, the GT is the answer. But, everyone will hit their head on the door, and the width is not exactly friendly for a single-car garage door. Both have their ups and downs.

If you get a GT ditch the factory tires and get Bridgestones.

If you want more info on what I did PM me with your email address.

P.S. Heritage cars are way cool, but unless you find a very cooperative private seller you'll pay. I got mine for less than dealers wanted for a Tungsten, but I'd still pop for a Tungsten car. The silver/grey color is the best of them.

P.S. There are two really good Ford GT forums, and I participate in both.

The Ford GT forum is technically an owners forum. Exhibit the intent to buy, and they'll let you in, but produce or get cut. Limited posts (no junk, questions usually tolerated, but you are mostly expected to be an observer. Trust me, there is plenty to observe as the signal-to-noise ratio is very good. Sign on if you're serious and PM DBK (the owner) to let him know you're looking. It helps to become a paying member too. There is one forum sponsor, Elite Autos (Shelby Smith) who is a dealer, who has probably sold more GTs than exist, his prices are high but there is never a doubt about the car.

Link: http://www.fordgtfor...orums/forum.php

On this forum SEARCH is your friend. Believe me, every question about a GT has already been asked and answered.

The other place is a little more open, kind of the tone here, and visitors are welcome. Not as much high technical content, but the other place has been on line since day one. This is the Ford GT Alley:

http://fordgtalley.com/forum/forum.php

Guests are welcome, but there isn't as much high tech info about the cars.

I loved my Cobra, my wife hated it - it was too hot, too smelly, too windy, too noisy, burnt my leg on the pipe too often, no place to plug in the ipod and couldn't hear it anyway. Agree - it's a race car with a place for a passenger to sit. It is a driver's car, not a friendly car to take someone for a ride. The killer was when I explained about harnesses and why she couldn't have one on her side (no roll bar, and if you have shoulder harnesses without a roll bar you become the roll bar - that was the killer).

The GT has air conditioning, regular 3 point seat belts (although I have had harnesses on both sides, they are tucked behind the seats), doesn't have side pipes to burn your legs, and a place to plug in an ipod. It passes the wife's criteria and she enjoys going for a ride, contrary to the Cobra.

The Macintosh radio is awesome - I took mine for a spirited ride on Friday night and actually had the volume at max, and the subwoofer vibrated my lungs next to me - but the head unit is primitive.

Get a pulley and tune from the GT Guys and you'll have 650RWHP - approximately the same HP:weight ratio as a 427 Cobra. Enough wake up your adrenaline and make you breath hard at times if you aren't paying attention.

Down side: If you are tall, and want to track the car, you really won't fit in with a helmet for the track. I can't do it and will either buy a new seat and lower it (for tracking, to keep the original in case I ever sell it and want to return the Heritage to factory) or put in the Gurney bubble (the GT Guys will do it, but buying a second door is almost $20K when fully outfitted and painted).

Down side #2: The Cobra has enough space in the trunk to go on a trip. You can put a couple of suit cases there, and I've seen some put golf clubs. The GT has a trunk (in the front) that is about 1.5 cu ft. You can't even put a 6-pack ice cooler in there, trust me it won't fit. And you wouldn't want to put anything in there that will melt anyway because it will. Bottom line, is the GT is a "go for a day ride", but not really a touring car. We took the Mustang to Vegas on several occasions, but if we wanted to drive the GT we'd have to ship our stuff via UPS, or tow it...

From a driver's perspective, the Cobra is a "man's car - no power anything" - good for power to the wheels, no parasites, but if you wanna stop you gotta have good legs since there are no power brakes. Making a turn in the driveway with no power steering is a little fun (yeah right). The FGT has both.

FGT downside: The gauges are a nightmare, and fail at the drop of a hat. It's something like $3K for a replacement speedometer. Fortunately, SpeedHut has a complete gauge replacement set. I will likely swap mine as a preemptive move so I can, again, put it back.

FGT mods are pricey, 2-3x for the equivalent of a Shelby Mustang. I dropped $15K on mine after I bought it and will do another $10K over this winter. If you like it stock good, but if you want to change it you'll pay. Some parts are no longer available, and some (like the short throw shifter and FRPP/Borla exhaust) are either bought up by speculators or out of production and get premium prices.

If you want to drive it, don't do a dealer - they like to find low miles cars and get a premium for them - look for one with 10K miles and drive the snot out of it.

Finally, the Cobra is a tinkerer's car. There was never something that didn't need attention - getting it "sorted out" took over a year, and about $15K with tuners, shipping to Roush, and all that. Then the clutch hydraulics. Two sets of full electronic ignition systems (one on the eve of putting it on the transport to the new buyer). I fondly remember the 60's but don't miss that kind of stuff all that much.

The GT purrs.

Except....

Don't buy a low miles car!!! Really. They are little time bombs. Mine sat with a little over 1000 miles from 2006 to 2008 when it got the axle bolt recall (miles from the Oasis report), then only had a total of 1350 miles until I got it. The result was fluids didn't get circulated, and in the end, the supercharger started leaking fluid from the bearings at the snout. I pulled the S/C and sent it for repair. Low miles cars can have latent issues that would have been covered within the warranty period had they even been driven for 2K-3K miles.

Plus they are VERY WIDE!!! Watch your garage doors.

What a dilemma Dan...lol However, knowing you, I know you will make the correct decision.

In the end, you will do what you believe is right in your heart. Look what you did with the SS. You weren't 100% comfortable selling, so you did what felt right and kept it.

Those that know you, respect you, and they know in the end, whatever you choose, will be what you feel is best for you (and Marji). You are a smart man who makes smart decisions.

Best of luck!!

Dan

What a dilemma Dan...lol However, knowing you, I know you will make the correct decision.

In the end, you will do what you believe is right in your heart. Look what you did with the SS. You weren't 100% comfortable selling, so you did what felt right and kept it.

Those that know you, respect you, and they know in the end, whatever you choose, will be what you feel is best for you (and Marji). You are a smart man who makes smart decisions.

Best of luck!!

Dan

:beerchug:

Looks like you had a great Birthday weekend with the family Dan..........that's what it's all about :grouphug:

Best of luck!!

Dan

Dan.....we did spend some time discussing this topic over a few beers (several times) this summer.......Tony's posts certainly are eye openers to the realities of ownership.......

7076 is a great car.......but we both know how badly you want a FGT........Rick did solve the luggage dilemma but I bet that was very costly.......

like you and Marji, all major purchases in our house are a team decision.......luckily for me, Dale doesnt say no very often.......

clearly not an easy decision......but a good problem to have.......best of luck whatever you decide.

PS. Tom probably has several picked out for you already! :hysterical:

Archived