TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SOFT TUNE

nojoke4true

Does anybody know why SA tuned our cars so soft? It seems as though they stayed on the safe side instead of applying a more aggressive tune. My buddy has an 06 mustang gt auto, cold air, larger trottle body, sct tune from bama, and stoct 331 gears. But when I drove it....it felt like it had way more hp than my sgt. I did beat him at the track before he did his tune but now i think it would be a different story now. So my question is this...Retune with no other upgrades or leave it be until she's has an supercharger sittin on top of her? So with that said, can I expect another soft tune f\rom SA if they do the S/C install? Is there a such thing as an aggressive safe tune? Just tryin to get the most bang for my buck.

And met 50 state emissions. I believe the tune is the same that comes with the GT CAI kit.

Go for it. I've heard of up to 20HP more. You could probably find more by going to the regular Mustang forums and searching for topics on the FRPP CAI kit to see what custom tunes get.

I have the FRPP "Bullitt" CAI on both my cars, with the C.A.R.B.-exempt 50-state tune. It turned the stock engine into a decent performer. I also have the Bama SCT tunes for each. They really make a difference, particularly in the automatic convertible.

When you use the SCT tuners they save whatever they find in the computer as the "stock" tune, so there is no danger of harming the Shelby GT tune when taking advantage of the added performance and driveability improvements.

Do you think a JLT intake or Airaid intake with the Bama SCT tune and the 62mm throttle body would show some decent gains for the roughly 1200 buck if I did the install myself? I know I've asked this type of question before, but just trying to decide if it is worth the money to spend to keep me out of the SC purchase for a while.

Andy.

After about 1 year of the OEM Tune, I switched to a BrenSpeed tune w/SCT Tuner...

Actually I got 3 tunes... 87 Octane for cruising long distances down the Highway... 92 Octane "Street" tune which was similar to the OEM Tune... And a 92 Octane "Track" tune that really made a difference in how the car performed...

Finally added the Brembos & 4.10 gears about a year before I traded-in for the BOSS...

One thing to keep in mind, is that NONE of these tunes will add that much HP... However, they do make the car more responsive and thereby more aggressive to drive out on the track...

Very similar to having the TracKey Software installed from FRPP on a 2012-2013 BOSS 302...

Does anybody know why SA tuned our cars so soft? It seems as though they stayed on the safe side instead of applying a more aggressive tune. My buddy has an 06 mustang gt auto, cold air, larger trottle body, sct tune from bama, and stoct 331 gears. But when I drove it....it felt like it had way more hp than my sgt. I did beat him at the track before he did his tune but now i think it would be a different story now. So my question is this...Retune with no other upgrades or leave it be until she's has an supercharger sittin on top of her? So with that said, can I expect another soft tune f\rom SA if they do the S/C install? Is there a such thing as an aggressive safe tune? Just tryin to get the most bang for my buck.

The tune that comes with the FR Whipple is perfect. Not sure if it is "soft", but my car is nasty now...

After about 1 year of the OEM Tune, I switched to a BrenSpeed tune w/SCT Tuner...

Actually I got 3 tunes... 87 Octane for cruising long distances down the Highway... 92 Octane "Street" tune which was similar to the OEM Tune... And a 92 Octane "Track" tune that really made a difference in how the car performed...

Finally added the Brembos & 4.10 gears about a year before I traded-in for the BOSS...

One thing to keep in mind, is that NONE of these tunes will add that much HP... However, they do make the car more responsive and thereby more aggressive to drive out on the track...

Very similar to having the TracKey Software installed from FRPP on a 2012-2013 BOSS 302...

I'm thinking of doing a retune to use 87 for my next road trip. How'd you retune? What did you use? And can you switch back and forth in the fly or is it a 90minute type tune? Any negative effects other than a couple less horses?

Thanks

I'm thinking of doing a retune to use 87 for my next road trip. How'd you retune? What did you use? And can you switch back and forth in the fly or is it a 90minute type tune? Any negative effects other than a couple less horses?

Thanks

As long as you are N/A and not planning to run it hard on the street, the 87 octane tune is just fine for the 4.6L in the SGT... Just make sure you run the tank as close to "E" before filling it up with 91+ and taking it back to the track... Using the SCT tuner you have to go thru the 10-min upload process to switch tunes... And yes, it is down a little in HP/TQ, but if you are just cruising down the highway for several hundred miles, then there is no reason to try and find 91-93 octane at every gas stop along the way...

That's great info, but how in the heck is anyone to know which tuner does it the 'correct' way without being an expert themselves?

It's my understanding that Ford does not permit access to all of the adjustable parameters within the S197's Spanish Oak OS with the exception of Steeda who I believe helped Ford develop the Ford Racing cold air system and tune used on the SGT. I assume most if not all tuners have found work arounds, but I have no idea what kind if any impact a work around may have.

Nice color combo on the BOSS and thanks for sharing your experience and knowlege on this matter.

That's great info, but how in the heck is anyone to know which tuner does it the 'correct' way without being an expert themselves?

Ask the tuner.

I know that the two "popular" tuners around the Team Shelby forums do NOT tune it the 'correct' way though. There is a long concise thread on this subject if you look for it.

Phill

Like it or not, there is a reason for the soft tune. It is engine longevity. Ford obviously found something between 2006 (the GT-H) and 2007 (the SGT) to detune the engine slightly. There must have been a reason. The GT-H was supposedly 325 and the SGT is supposedly 319. But again, yes you can increase power but where do you draw the line. Some engines are only like a hand grenade with the pin pulled and how long can you hold the spoon down. A conservative tune is less fun but will obviously last much longer. And we have to admit, Ford knows more about those engines that anyone else, including the after market tuners.

Same engine with the FRPP Whipple S/C initially came out at 500 HP... Auto version was rated at 475... Then a year or so later FRPP upped it to 550 with the 5-speed...

Wouldn't worry about "grenading" a 4.6L at 350 HP, unless you really, really mess up the tune...

EDIT = If I remember correctly, the 2007 SGT was supposed to be rated at 325 HP, but came back at 319 after the EPA Certification process... Which was also when the "Gas Guzzler" Tax got tacked on to every SGT...

I doudt Ford changed the tune. It's more likely that Ford had the engine certified by SAE. In '05 (I think) SAE introduced 'SAE Certified Power', which is completely voluntary for the OEMs. Several manufactures changed the ratings of their engines following the SAE Certified Power evaluations. Power ratings on some engines went up while other went down based simply on the evaluation by SAE as no changes to the engines were made.

• 2 weeks later...

My opinion any 2 cars within 20HP of each other is going to be a driver's race anyway. I wouldn't set yourself up for the disappointment. If you're dead set on it anyway, at least take it to the track to see what you are running now. That is the only way you'll know if the tune improved the car's performance.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to you guys and Brenspeed I fell back in love with my SGT all over again. Not that I ever fell out of love with her, its just that the new throttle response from the new tune is amazing. I am waiting for better weather to really see how much better this tune has made my car. I just hate it took me over 4yrs. to listen to you guys regarding tunes. Once again thanks for the input Team Shelby.

I just got the SCT-X3 from Steeda and had them build a tune for me using their upgraded Steeda Intake Elbow. Haven't had a chance to load it up yet, but waiting until I can get the emmissions updated first for the tag renewal, then change the tune....just to be safe!!

Andy.

Thanks to you guys and Brenspeed I fell back in love with my SGT all over again. Not that I ever fell out of love with her, its just that the new throttle response from the new tune is amazing. I am waiting for better weather to really see how much better this tune has made my car. I just hate it took me over 4yrs. to listen to you guys regarding tunes. Once again thanks for the input Team Shelby.

If you think the tune was a great improvement then you need to try the 410 gears.I've got both and the 410's do more for the car than any other mod except the whipple, and i have that now.

If you think the tune was a great improvement then you need to try the 410 gears.I've got both and the 410's do more for the car than any other mod except the whipple, and i have that now.

I had my eye on those 410's of which you speak for a while now. I hope to be chating about how I love my 4:10's with you in the Spring if I pull the trigger. :rockon:

Archived