TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2013 shelby or 2011 GTR

svt13

There might be something wrong with that GTR . The Audi people don't know anything about these cars. I would take it to a Nissan dealer and make sure it was never wrecked or abused. The thing maybe off warranty and only a Nissan dealer can tell you that or what has been done to it.. Buyer Beware !!!! People did not buy these hot cars to drive to church on sundays. ----DO NOT rely on a carfax for a car like this.---

Exactly. Though its 2011 how could it be out of warranty?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly. Though its 2011 how could it be out of warranty?

Cars that have been modified or show damage from some other reasons can be refused warranty work. Once that has been done the car is taged for future warranty work. All car companies can and do this. Just because a car is within the warranty period does not mean that it still is under full warranty. A car could have been wrecked and that can have some warranty issues. Just check with Nissan to make sure there are no issues. I never buy a used car with out the warranty start date and confirm coverage with the manufacturer. I would also have a Good body and paint guy go over the car. That Audi dealer seems very anxious to get that GTR off his lot !!

no just not a ford fan boy like you or obsessed. But if you want to make retarded assumptions thats fine. Just makes you look like an idiot.

So, what cars have I owned? All Fords? Please tell me more. What assumption are you talking about? I simply restated what you had said. Please walk me through it...I want to learn. Gee, for some reason it appears that I am not the only forum member that YOU seem to kind of rub the wrong way. Just saying...have a nice day!

I think the GTR is the best looking Japanese car ever made and is the only Japanese car I'd ever consider owning.

That said, it isn't even on the same level of looks at the GT500 unless you're with the ricer crowd.

I'm crossing my fingers....if SVT13 trades his GT500, maybe he'll plague the GTR forums with these questions every day instead of us (=

I have to agree with Ezareth on hoping that svt13 goes with the gtr. I still have not seen a pic of his car yet. All he ever do is gripe on how the GT500 is.

I have to agree with Ezareth on hoping that svt13 goes with the gtr. I still have not seen a pic of his car yet. All he ever do is gripe on how the GT500 is.

There are pics of my car in the photo gallery. Been there for a while. And I'm pretty sure I opened this thread with how amazed I was with how the shelby and GTR felt pretty identical on the street? But I mean maybe I'm going blind.

Then don't read them. Why the hell are you on a forum then when thats the whole purpose of it is to ask questions. What a moronic comment to make.

Same with saying the GTR is for the ricer crowd. So a more aerodynamic and exotic looking car is for ricers? I think you need to go check what ricer even means damn. Your 2 for 2 today on pointless comments.

The whole purpose of this forum isn't just to "ask questions". It is to communicate with like minded people, shared experiences and seek advice etc. I don't think anyone minds you asking questions but it is the nature in which you ask them as well as your answers that irritates people. Terrible grammar, throwing around juvenile insults ("Retarded?"), and the incessant LOL LOL you use isn't something people here like dealing with.

That said, the GTR IS the ricer dream car. It has Japanese styling and it has a giant red "R" emblazoned everywhere which the Ricer/Import crowd loves to emulate. It also is a Japanese car and thus deserving of the "ricer" misnomer. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate the technology found on the car (part of which is actually Ford patented tech) or it's performance.

The whole purpose of this forum isn't just to "ask questions". It is to communicate with like minded people, shared experiences and seek advice etc. I don't think anyone minds you asking questions but it is the nature in which you ask them as well as your answers that irritates people. Terrible grammar, throwing around juvenile insults ("Retarded?"), and the incessant LOL LOL you use isn't something people here like dealing with.

That said, the GTR IS the ricer dream car. It has Japanese styling and it has a giant red "R" emblazoned everywhere which the Ricer/Import crowd loves to emulate. It also is a Japanese car and thus deserving of the "ricer" misnomer. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate the technology found on the car (part of which is actually Ford patented tech) or it's performance.

When I type from my phone, I really couldn't care less about my grammar.

Hey SVT13 that's what makes the world go round. Don't worry what people think. Let us know about your trade and like I said buyer beware.LOL but this time it means ---LOTS OF LUCK---

So I went with my friend to this audi dealership near us for him to look at a car he wanted. They have a 2011 black GTR with 12000 miles and they saw my shelby. The sales guy offered a straight up trade no extra money for my car. They car is listed there at 76k. I would have bought a GTR now but I couldnt afford a new one so I was planning to sell this in 5 years maybe to get a lightly used one. But if I can do it now then I don't know.

What would you guys do?

Trade a $65K car straight across for a $77K car? That's damn near a no-brainer.

Because in the end, they are BOTH "just cars".

When I was in the process of buying my 2010 GT500 during the summer of 2009 I was in California and ran across a Silver 2010 GTR sitting on the dealer lot. I spoke to the salesman and he assured me that the dealership was willing to deal because it was the first GTR they had what wasn't pre-sold.

I was seriously contemplating the GTR over the GT500 because I had every intention of Super Snake-ing my car and the prices were apples to apples.

On the one hand (GTR) I had a High-tech "Euro Rod". On the other hand (GT500) I had a good ol' 'Mericun Muscle Car.

Performance wise they were pretty close to equal with the GTR having a slight edge (AWD aids in 0-60 & cornering). Even when I snaked the GT500, it wouldn't keep up to the GTR (remember, they were both 2010's).

The GTR is a *fine* car. It is bigger than I thought and looks even bigger sitting next to a Silver 370-Z. No back seat was a minus. Well, there IS a back seat but with the front seats in any kind of position to afford any leg room to the front passengers, there is NO rear leg room. And I do mean, NONE (frt. seats are back against the rear "seat").

The bottom line for ME was, I like to tinker. With the GTR, there was very little "tinker room". With the GT500, there was a TON of "tinker room" (see my sig for proof!).

If my car was still stock or very close to it, I'd trade for a newer GTR in a heartbeat. As it sits now, no way. I have way too much dough into it to justify trading down.

Buy/Trade if if *you* want to. After all, "To each his own".

If I was in your shoes, the deal would be done. After all, you can always buy another '13 GT500 and for a whole lot less than what you paid for it (wait a year and you'll see what I mean).

Phill

Trade a $65K car straight across for a $77K car? That's damn near a no-brainer.

Because in the end, they are BOTH "just cars".

When I was in the process of buying my 2010 GT500 during the summer of 2009 I was in California and ran across a Silver 2010 GTR sitting on the dealer lot. I spoke to the salesman and he assured me that the dealership was willing to deal because it was the first GTR they had what wasn't pre-sold.

I was seriously contemplating the GTR over the GT500 because I had every intention of Super Snake-ing my car and the prices were apples to apples.

On the one hand (GTR) I had a High-tech "Euro Rod". On the other hand (GT500) I had a good ol' 'Mericun Muscle Car.

Performance wise they were pretty close to equal with the GTR having a slight edge (AWD aids in 0-60 & cornering). Even when I snaked the GT500, it wouldn't keep up to the GTR (remember, they were both 2010's).

The GTR is a *fine* car. It is bigger than I thought and looks even bigger sitting next to a Silver 370-Z. No back seat was a minus. Well, there IS a back seat but with the front seats in any kind of position to afford any leg room to the front passengers, there is NO rear leg room. And I do mean, NONE (frt. seats are back against the rear "seat").

The bottom line for ME was, I like to tinker. With the GTR, there was very little "tinker room". With the GT500, there was a TON of "tinker room" (see my sig for proof!).

If my car was still stock or very close to it, I'd trade for a newer GTR in a heartbeat. As it sits now, no way. I have way too much dough into it to justify trading down.

Buy/Trade if if *you* want to. After all, "To each his own".

If I was in your shoes, the deal would be done. After all, you can always buy another '13 GT500 and for a whole lot less than what you paid for it (wait a year and you'll see what I mean).

Phill

Yea i know what you mean by literally no backseat leg room. The only thing holding me back as what other people have pointed out is what was done to it in the past for those 12000 miles and will I be covered if something happens to the car? So when I talk to these people on Saturday we will see what they say.

The only thing holding me back as what other people have pointed out is what was done to it in the past for those 12000 miles....

It's got 12,000 miles on it? I didn't catch that part.

What year is it?

What's the book on it (nada.com or kbb.com)?

Phill

Svt13, my opinion is to support America and the Legacy of Carroll Shelby.Buy the Shelby. The most important thing is what ever you choose, enjoy your ride. Live life to the fullest no matter what you choose! I do joke around abound imports, Bugs, or even GM and Mopar. But the people that own them are just as much as a car guy like me.

It is a very personal choice, even though I am not an american, I am rather a South American, I would never swap mustang for a Japonese car. Unless it is a motorcycle, than NO QUESTION ABOUT IT, Japnanese RULES!

Don't do it! You will regret, the GTR does not have the same spirit! It is just another Nissan.

Take care and take your time before you make a decision.

Safe ride,

Braztang

I'll give the OP (SVT13) credit... He generates some spirited threads. :rockon:

That said... From my experience at shows the G-TR is most popular with the younger crowd that has ricers written all over them. Not to sterotype and I'm sure there are exceptions, but it's just what I've seen.

The comparison of a G-TR to a GT500 is apples and oranges. An all-wheel drive high performance import to a rear-wheel drive iconic American muscle car. That comparison video is junk and promotes street racing. Take it to the track... That's were performance comparisons belong. Not 2 knuckleheads on a cell or 2-way getting it on, risking the safety of the public.

You mention the G-TR as a daily driver and being easier to handle day to day and being able to take corners faster than with the 500. I can certainly understand the convienence of a auto over a manual, but again take it to the track if you are obtaining speeds of that magnitude.

And finally IMHO the G-TR's appearence doesn't hold a candle to the GT500. A nice way of saying the G-TR is ugly. :shrug: Sorry...

But in the end you have to follow your own heart. What is said here is nothing more than opinion. Don't take it so personal and call people names. It just fuels their fire.

:salute:

Svt13, my opinion is to support America and the Legacy of Carroll Shelby.Buy the Shelby. The most important thing is what ever you choose, enjoy your ride. Live life to the fullest no matter what you choose! I do joke around abound imports, Bugs, or even GM and Mopar. But the people that own them are just as much as a car guy like me.

Dennis...

I love the way you think! :rockon:

That said... From my experience at shows the G-TR is most popular with the younger crowd that has ricers written all over them. Not to sterotype and I'm sure there are exceptions, but it's just what I've seen.

The comparison of a G-TR to a GT500 is apples and oranges. An all-wheel drive high performance import to a rear-wheel drive iconic American muscle car. That comparison video is junk and promotes street racing. Take it to the track... That's were performance comparisons belong. Not 2 knuckleheads on a cell or 2-way getting it on, risking the safety of the public.

You mention the G-TR as a daily driver and being easier to handle day to day and being able to take corners faster than with the 500. I can certainly understand the convienence of a auto over a manual, but again take it to the track if you are obtaining speeds of that magnitude.

And finally IMHO the G-TR's appearence doesn't hold a candle to the GT500. A nice way of saying the G-TR is ugly. :shrug: Sorry...

But in the end you have to follow your own heart. What is said here is nothing more than opinion. Don't take it so personal and call people names. It just fuels their fire.

I could not agree more.

SVT13,

Look on the bright side, you are young enough to recover financially from any mistake you make concerning the purchase of a car. If you can afford it, get the car you really want. You are the only one who has to live with your decision.

Thanks for the math lesson. Just so you know, I do own a calculator. It was meant to be a statement of emphasis on how much I like the Shelby.

And mine was meant to be a statement of being facetious! It was joking too man! It was in a jovial manner.

I love my Shelby as much as you do, and if this guy wants to trade a GT-R, I really don't see a problem with it.

Well said.

I like to keep this place lively haha.

But anyways I'm really only going to take my car to the race track maybe once or twice a year. Mostly I want a car for how it handles on the street when I do my early morning spirited driving when no one is awake yet. Thats why I am saying its not really apple to oranges when you compare these cars on the street. They are extremely similar feeling which is what impressed me. But as far as my heart its very torn on this. I really don't want to trade in the shelby and the GTR gets a huge upgrade say next year then I'm like why the f*** did I do that? Since 2009 when it came out it hasn't really changed THAT much so it could at any year.

The other thing is I don't know how abused this car is. I mean 12,000 miles is a lot. These aren't honda civic miles. I found another 2011 GTR in my area grey with 10,000 miles and when I offered the same deal the sales guy was like HELL NO. If this car was in perfect condition like my shelby will be in when it hits 12,000 miles I would trade in a second. But like I said, this is a hard decision.

I will eventually have a GTR. Thats just the kind of car I like more, since it wasn't designed to make money. It was design to attract brand attention and just for fun. Same as the lexus LFA. Nissan and Lexus don't make much money on either really (maybe Nissan now since they uped it 7,000 for adding 10 hp and tweaking the suspension hardly worth it). Thats why both those cars are such great performers and comfortable daily drivers. They are every day supercars essentially. The shelby was designed to make lots of money hence why it has so many compromises with it which I hate but its still an amazing car and 662 hp for 55k is incredible.

It's got 12,000 miles on it? I didn't catch that part.

What year is it?

What's the book on it (nada.com or kbb.com)?

Phill

Phill its a 2011 with 12,000 miles. The owner apparently traded it in last week for a 911 turbo the dealer had. The KBB value for excellent is 78k and lowest value was 68k. I'm pretty sure they accepted a trade for 68k from this guy otherwise they wouldn't agree to this so easily. But the fact that this dealership was so willing to do it and the other wasn't for a car with 2000 less miles makes me nervous. Plus the other one said they don't mark up cars because I told them just sell the shelby for 80k there is an idiot who will buy it for that much. Elite autos has been dumping out their shelbys for 75-80k each and they are used. I can't believe this guy tried to convince me dealerships don't do mark ups. Their sister dealer is a Ford one literally right across the street with a shelby ADM of 20k.

SVT13,

Look on the bright side, you are young enough to recover financially from any mistake you make concerning the purchase of a car. If you can afford it, get the car you really want. You are the only one who has to live with your decision.

Well heres the thing on that. The shelby sticker is 65k the GTR is 98k or at least in 2011 was actualy 92k I believe. So now that 92k is down to 76k 2 years later. But the shelby will probably be low to mid 50s 2 years from now. Where as that same GTR will probably be in the 60s. Just speaking soley depreciation rates it may be worth it to do it just because when I sell it in 5 years or so it would be worth more because its starting at a higher number. Though I rather just never sell the shelby and turn it into an all out track car and then buy a GTR.

Hmmm interesting thread. The GT-R's are a beast of a car. Great performance, I actually like it's looks, and like our GT500's it does not take a lot to make them stupid fast. Hell, a stock GT-R, with a crappy driver, is running in the mids 11's. Easily. Now from a roll its a different story. (BTW Rolling aint RACING !) Just had to say that..........

You need to decide what you want out of your car. As you have said here, you do not track it. You want a smooth DD. Well it sounds to me as if you should just pick up the Nissan. Auto, with paddles when you want to shift, and the ride is not bad. I have seen and been thru those cars up close, talked with the owners candidly about the costs and maintenance on those cars, and truly its not much difference than the Shelby. If you can DYI its cheaper. If the dealer does it, its more. There were guys with a lot of miles at the PBIR on their GT-R's and the were running just fine. I think a lot of things get mis-spoken about these cars because of the price point of them. I spoke to a guy named HitMan that had a 2009, modded, and trust me, he was not a 1% guy. Just a young dude who works, save, and buy things when he can.

In the end its about preference. I wanted a Shelby. I was happy as happy could be when I got my 11. I still am. A lot of people say my car is very nice. Street guys actually fear it...(lol) Its a SHELBY. But the GT-R gets its own respect. It's a reason why they call it Godzilla. In the end, you need to get what truly makes YOU happy. Research the miles, find out if they were highway ect, then make a decision. Either way no matter what anyone says here, YOU have to live with the end decision.

let me get this straight you have owned a 2013 GT500 for a couple of months and now you want to trade. You really think you will keep the GTR for how many years ? What made you buy the GT500 ? It's not like they are dealing on these cars, so why? Hey look I can now trade my GTR on a used 2009 Lambo even steven. I don't think you know what you want or which end is up.

let me get this straight you have owned a 2013 GT500 for a couple of months and now you want to trade. You really think you will keep the GTR for how many years ? What made you buy the GT500 ? It's not like they are dealing on these cars, so why? Hey look I can now trade my GTR on a used 2009 Lambo even steven.

Its simple. The 13 GT500 has low miles, its a hot car, and they will probably flip for 70k+ to some guy who wants a AMERICAN Muscle car. Meanwhile they have offloaded a GT-R and have not lost a penny. Win Win for the dealer.

Hmmm interesting thread. The GT-R's are a beast of a car. Great performance, I actually like it's looks, and like our GT500's it does not take a lot to make them stupid fast. Hell, a stock GT-R, with a crappy driver, is running in the mids 11's. Easily. Now from a roll its a different story. (BTW Rolling aint RACING !) Just had to say that..........

You need to decide what you want out of your car. As you have said here, you do not track it. You want a smooth DD. Well it sounds to me as if you should just pick up the Nissan. Auto, with paddles when you want to shift, and the ride is not bad. I have seen and been thru those cars up close, talked with the owners candidly about the costs and maintenance on those cars, and truly its not much difference than the Shelby. If you can DYI its cheaper. If the dealer does it, its more. There were guys with a lot of miles at the PBIR on their GT-R's and the were running just fine. I think a lot of things get mis-spoken about these cars because of the price point of them. I spoke to a guy named HitMan that had a 2009, modded, and trust me, he was not a 1% guy. Just a young dude who works, save, and buy things when he can.

In the end its about preference. I wanted a Shelby. I was happy as happy could be when I got my 11. I still am. A lot of people say my car is very nice. Street guys actually fear it...(lol) Its a SHELBY. But the GT-R gets its own respect. It's a reason why they call it Godzilla. In the end, you need to get what truly makes YOU happy. Research the miles, find out if they were highway ect, then make a decision. Either way no matter what anyone says here, YOU have to live with the end decision.

Rolling may not be called racing but it sure shows the true power of a car over another...when you take the traction out of it on takeoff

all there's left is pure power and thats where the GT500 will beat the GTR..I like both cars but the GT500 is a way better looking car in my

books anyway..sounds like svt13 was going with a GTR down the road anyway so If I were him I'd go for it now.

Its simple. The 13 GT500 has low miles, its a hot car, and they will probably flip for 70k+ to some guy who wants a AMERICAN Muscle car. Meanwhile they have offloaded a GT-R and have not lost a penny. Win Win for the dealer.

mach 1 listen to this guy ^, he is exactly right. Which is what I said earlier.

let me get this straight you have owned a 2013 GT500 for a couple of months and now you want to trade. You really think you will keep the GTR for how many years ? What made you buy the GT500 ? It's not like they are dealing on these cars, so why? Hey look I can now trade my GTR on a used 2009 Lambo even steven. I don't think you know what you want or which end is up.

Well for your information I got my shelby at 1k above invoice. And I have every option except track pack and shaker. I got the shelby for a simple reason, its the best bang for buck out there below 70k. The GTR was simply above my price range hence why I do not have one. And i would not want a lambo for a daily driver. GTR is nice because its pretty much the best practical daily driver someone could own.

Archived