TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Remote Start System?

Capt500

I was reading in the 2013 GT500 section that '13 models are coming with a remote start system as standard equipment. Does anyone know if this system is available for earlier models (2011 specifically)? What about an aftermarket system not made by Ford? I can see this option being rather convenient when getting into my black GT500 after it's been sitting in the Texas sun for hours during the summertime! A couple minutes of A/C pre-cooling would be a very nice option to have. :extinguish:

There is no remote start system that comes with the 13. I am the only one so far who put a viper remote start system in their car but I had to pull it out. It messed with the rev limiter. Since our cars are suppose to start at 6250 then go to 7000 the remote start made it go backwards. So it started at 7000 and went down to 6250. Plus the dealership said if anything goes wrong electronnically with the car and if its caused by the remote start I will get charged. Basically don't put it in your car. The dealersihp will be assholes and void your warranty.

Oh and it also makes the car not turn on after you stall. You have to wait 20 seconds to be able to turn it back on.

i have 2 cars that have factory remotes,both Caddys. The 2008 works on line of site, you have to be within 80 ft to start the car---then i takes 5 mi nutes or so to cool off--Ok if youre in your house, but doesnt help if youre at work,shopping etc--you might as well sit in the car and get going.The other,a 2011 EXT actually starts by using the Caddy web site----just use your droid to enter the site and you can start the car from anywhere,lock/unlock etc---now thats helpful.Being in Atl i use it when im parked at a restaurant, ill dial up and start the car 5 minutes before i leave--so really youre not missimg much

i have 2 cars that have factory remotes,both Caddys. The 2008 works on line of site, you have to be within 80 ft to start the car---

My 2011 F-150 King Ranch had the factory Ford remote start system in it.

My 2012 F-150 Raptor has the factory Ford remote start system in it.

My wife's 2011 Flex has a aftermarket remote start system in it.

All 3 will start the cars from anywhere within my house, without being in the line of sight. I've started my King Ranch and Raptor from the far end of the Bowling alley I bowl at, probably a good 150' from end to end.

The only "issue" I have with any of them is with my wife's Flex. To start the car you push the door lock button twice. Well, I always lock my cars with TWO pushes of the lock button to get the horn confirmation that the alarm is set (if the door isn't closed tight, the alarm will not set and horn will not sound). So EVERY FREAKIN' TIME I get out of her car I start the damn thing and it drives me NUTZ.

Other than that, I'm thrilled with the FORD systems (not so much the AM one).

Having said that, I would never put one on my GT500. Like someone else said, that's a recipie for stuffing your car into a wall or garage door. And I would NEVER think of leaving my car in neutral with just the parking brake to hold it. I have personally had a parking brake fail me and ended up with a truck in the side of a car parked across the street.

YMMV,

Phill

My 2011 F-150 King Ranch had the factory Ford remote start system in it.

My 2012 F-150 Raptor has the factory Ford remote start system in it.

My wife's 2011 Flex has a aftermarket remote start system in it.

All 3 will start the cars from anywhere within my house, without being in the line of sight. I've started my King Ranch and Raptor from the far end of the Bowling alley I bowl at, probably a good 150' from end to end.

The only "issue" I have with any of them is with my wife's Flex. To start the car you push the door lock button twice. Well, I always lock my cars with TWO pushes of the lock button to get the horn confirmation that the alarm is set (if the door isn't closed tight, the alarm will not set and horn will not sound). So EVERY FREAKIN' TIME I get out of her car I start the damn thing and it drives me NUTZ.

Other than that, I'm thrilled with the FORD systems (not so much the AM one).

Having said that, I would never put one on my GT500. Like someone else said, that's a recipie for stuffing your car into a wall or garage door. And I would NEVER think of leaving my car in neutral with just the parking brake to hold it. I have personally had a parking brake fail me and ended up with a truck in the side of a car parked across the street.

YMMV,

Phill

Maybe I should start leaving my car in gear then when I park it lol.

Maybe I should start leaving my car in gear then when I park it lol.

Maybe you should read the owners manual?

PARKING BRAKE WARNING:

WARNING:

Always set the parking brake fully and make sure that the transmission selector lever is securely latched in position P (automatic transmission) or in position 1 (manual transmission).

Archived