TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Route 66 tour being worked on now!

sportscars

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Working on it Pete - Just got home from Ponies on the Plains and I'm working on two other events that take place before Route 66 (R66 as it will be affectionately be called).

Patience grasshopper!

What about L50 coming up in December.......................... B)

• 1 month later...

Printed out the turn by turn directions - all 48 pages of them :drop: Very complex and difficult to map it out to stay true to the Route, plus it changed all the time as new roads were built so the possibilities are almost endless.

Working on the lodging and the daily stops (attractions) all this week. Should have some exciting news soon! :yahoo:

Printed out the turn by turn directions - all 48 pages of them :drop: Very complex and difficult to map it out to stay true to the Route, plus it changed all the time as new roads were built so the possibilities are almost endless.

Working on the lodging and the daily stops (attractions) all this week. Should have some exciting news soon! :yahoo:

Will I get the same information @ SMC site as in this forum?

Guest markham51

Awesome news that things are being worked on.

I had planned to do the route this Sept...and when i found out there was a group option...it was a no brainer.

I started by getting all the books and maps available. I soon realized the biggest challenge would be to plot the route. What sacrifices would i make to use the full route vs have a great time???

I had imagined that I would send a shout out to TS members along the way (for advice) on best places to stay...party...have breakfast..stops for scenic views, etc. They would know which sacifices for the sake of being true to the route would pay off...and which ones would be a waste of time. i would consider having those "advisors" lead the group for a while...kinda an honor guard.

In my humble opinion....i would not sacrifice the fun for extra miles...thats what going in a group is all about.

Thanks for taking on the organization responsibilitites...

Mark

I am in the know for L50! LOL...anyway, I know Ron is excited for route 66. I can not get off work for sure. Oh well. I am sure Ron will have fun without me...

We are going to miss you! I do understand how hard it is going to be for most people to get that amount of time off. Once you retire you'll be able to do ALL my events! :yahoo:

• 2 months later...

As so many people keep asking me to do this - I finally agreed and I am in the planning process for the tour now. Working out all the thousands of details is pretty time consuming, but I will keep you updated on the progress. I would imagine I will have a mostly completed event by the end of September.

The two most likely options at this point are:

1. Go from Chicago and end in Santa Monica around August 15th. Then run up to the Pebble Beach Concours D’Elegance via the Pacific Coast Highway (PCH) and spend the weekend there. Of course the second part would be optional. But if you skip the PCH then you may not be right in the head.....

2. Go from Santa Monica and end in Chicago around August 15th. Then cruise over to Dearborn for the Woodward Dream Cruise.

Both of these events happen on the 3rd weekend of August so it is one or the other. If TS is doing their Dearborn event in conjunction with Woodward that would make it a no-brainer!

Route 66 is about 2300 miles - one way! This is not a trip for the faint of heart (or those afraid to drive their Shelbys!).

I will keep you all updated on the progress. As always, thanks for your support!

Sean

Any update? is this event going to take place?

Colt, while Sean has 90% of the route planning ready to go, I believe his goal is to coincide this with this years Dearborn event as well, so it can be somewhat of a caravan gathering up Shelbys along the way to reach Dearborn. I will let him add his own comments here, but dates for Dearborn are awaiting Ford approval, and then we will get with Robert and Sharon to coordinate it all, and this will make for a seamless cant miss event. We may even be able to continue the coordination for attaching the Quebec and eastern run to make this closer to 2 1/2 weeks of constant events covering several thousand miles. (still more a wishlist at the moment) But I bring this up because one thing that should be measured is interest in doing that, and participation of something on such a grand scale. While it would be impractical for all but a small handful of us to do the entire route, it makes more sense that some may want to join the group as the event comes closest to where they might start, or on the flip side peel off as they pass close to home.

Any update? is this event going to take place?

We are still working on two big scheduling issues. Several of those who have already told me they are for sure going now have a non-Shelby scheduling issue although it is Ford related. I can't talk about it yet because it has not been announced to the general public and I have been sworn to secrecy. I am trying frantically to find a solution to this issue, but it looks like the only way around it would be to start the tour 4 days earlier.

The other issue is the Team Shelby Dearborn event which has not announced its dates yet.

So I am stuck trying to find a solution that will work for everyone.

It is still being worked on and hopefully I will have more information very soon. The tour will go on - either as originally planned or perhaps with an earlier start.

We are still working on two big scheduling issues. Several of those who have already told me they are for sure going now have a non-Shelby scheduling issue although it is Ford related. I can't talk about it yet because it has not been announced to the general public and I have been sworn to secrecy. I am trying frantically to find a solution to this issue, but it looks like the only way around it would be to start the tour 4 days earlier.

The other issue is the Team Shelby Dearborn event which has not announced its dates yet.

It is still being worked on and hopefully I will have more information very soon. The tour will go on - either as originally planned or perhaps with an earlier start.

Thanks for update, I just need to plan my vacation. Also, I'm looking to take Amtrak back from Chicago. They offer special route 66 schedule. See link below

http://www.amtrak.com/southwest-chief-train

http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/933/628/Amtrak-Southwest-Chief-Train-Route-Guide.pdf

Guest markham51

Thanks for the update. My wife and I will be going for sure.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, we are still working on this! Tentative dates (99% sure) will be July 31 through August 7. We will start with a group dinner in Santa Monica at Bubba Gump's on Tuesday July 30 and start driving on July 31st! Most days will be about 5 hours of driving but we will have two long driving days, the first and last day of the tour.

Still waiting for a few hotels and resturants to get back to me on group pricing.

Okay, we are still working on this! Tentative dates (99% sure) will be July 31 through August 7. We will start with a group dinner in Santa Monica at Bubba Gump's on Tuesday July 30 and start driving on July 31st! Most days will be about 5 hours of driving but we will have two long driving days, the first and last day of the tour.

Still waiting for a few hotels and resturants to get back to me on group pricing.

Recommendation for shipping car back to CA?

Being one of the VERY lucky few that did SRE 2012.........I know first hand the fantastic job Sean does with running events. The Route 66 participants are in for a wonderful time full of cool cars, fun people and great memories that will last a life time.

Archived