TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby/ Wilwood Front 6-Piston Big Brake Kit

robertlane

Z59-S5MK-2300-UF-2.jpg

When Shelby American wanted to try out some new brakes to use on the production line they were seriously impressed with the Wilwood Big Brake kit. They proved to stop faster, stay cooler, and last longer then anything on the market. We worked with them on making sure our needs were met and Shelby Performance Parts is proud to offer the same brakes that are available on the heavy hitter Shelby Super Snake, the corner carving GT350, and optional on the Shelby GTS.

Built with two piece 6 piston calipers they will allow you to brake later giving you every last second of speed while getting around your favorite course. They are available in either red, black, or nickel plated which is used exclusively on the Shelby GT350The rotors are massive directionally veined 14" two piece rotors that are cross drilled and slotted to assist with cooling as well as keep the pads clean. The kit comes with special compound pads that are perfectly matched to the rotors. All mounting hardware is included with the kit as well as brand new ungraded stainless steel braided brake hoses. To complete the look of having big brakes on all four corners look at the Shelby/ Wilwood Rear 4-Piston Big Brake Kit available here.

Z59-S5MK-2300-UF-3T.jpg

Z59-S5MK-2300-UF-4T.jpg

Z59-S5MK-2300-UF-5T.jpg

Click here to learn more about this product.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any chance they will match Brembo and offer a 15" front rotor? The Brembo's work great, seems to me that most people who are changing brakes are going for a matched front/rear set. I admit I am also interested in a matching set, but the 6 piston Brembo's from the '13's look really good as well.

Z59-S5MK-2300-UF-2.jpg

When Shelby American wanted to try out some new brakes to use on the production line they were seriously impressed with the Wilwood Big Brake kit. They proved to stop faster, stay cooler, and last longer then anything on the market. We worked with them on making sure our needs were met and Shelby Performance Parts is proud to offer the same brakes that are available on the heavy hitter Shelby Super Snake, the corner carving GT350, and optional on the Shelby GTS.

Built with two piece 6 piston calipers they will allow you to brake later giving you every last second of speed while getting around your favorite course. They are available in either red, black, or nickel plated which is used exclusively on the Shelby GT350The rotors are massive directionally veined 14" two piece rotors that are cross drilled and slotted to assist with cooling as well as keep the pads clean. The kit comes with special compound pads that are perfectly matched to the rotors. All mounting hardware is included with the kit as well as brand new ungraded stainless steel braided brake hoses. To complete the look of having big brakes on all four corners look at the Shelby/ Wilwood Rear 4-Piston Big Brake Kit available here.

Z59-S5MK-2300-UF-3T.jpg

Z59-S5MK-2300-UF-4T.jpg

Z59-S5MK-2300-UF-5T.jpg

Click here to learn more about this product.

Gonna have to disagree with you Robert... saying these Shelby/Wilwood are a better brake than the Shelby/Baer is not a factual statement. Put it to the test and I mean use the same car and same driver and actually do it or stop saying it because those of us who have used them know the facts. I waited to order a 2013 GT350 for my own reasons but now having to use the Wilwoods from Baer's I have on every car I got does not make me happy

Why are the Baer brakes still so much more than Wilwood brakes. If the Wilwood's stop better than the Baer's then don't you think the should at least be the same price?

They're only saying this because I know they are getting the Wilwood's 50 percent less cost than the Baer's and sorry but never skimp on the brakes!

It'd be one HELL of a lot easier if Brembo would simply make a Mustang-compatible rear set - or even if an aftermarket miller were to make compatible caliper mounting parts. At the end of the day, that's all that Baer, Wilwood, AP Racing and anybody else did.

It'd be one HELL of a lot easier if Brembo would simply make a Mustang-compatible rear set - or even if an aftermarket miller were to make compatible caliper mounting parts. At the end of the day, that's all that Baer, Wilwood, AP Racing and anybody else did.

That's a bit of an over simplification.....

That's a bit of an over simplification.....

Not by much. The principle and mechanics of applying a piston-driven clamping force to a rotating disc doesn't vary one hell of a lot from one vehicle to another be it a Beetle or Bugatti. The most significant variance from one to another is how it's stuck to the hunk of mass it's meant to stop.

Very few brake makers pull out a clean sheet of paper to make products for a new application. In fact, most strive to work from the most complete starting point possible.

Baers are known to leak.

Baers are known to be expensive.

Baers are still on inventory at Shelby.

Baers are not discounted by Shelby.

Wilwoods are said to be better brakes

I do not quite get it... :runaway:

Based on what your opinion? Show facts Mr. Brake Man

Not by much. The principle and mechanics of applying a piston-driven clamping force to a rotating disc doesn't vary one hell of a lot from one vehicle to another be it a Beetle or Bugatti. The most significant variance from one to another is how it's stuck to the hunk of mass it's meant to stop.

Very few brake makers pull out a clean sheet of paper to make products for a new application. In fact, most strive to work from the most complete starting point possible.

You are correct about the mechanics, but just slapping on a larger caliper in the rear is a good way to find you and your car in a mangled mess. All of the larger rear kits offered take into account brake balance or bias which is not a trivial concern, so yes, you have over simplified it. The brakes on the GT500 are excellent brakes and Brembo will never offer a rear caliper.

Based on what your opinion? Show facts Mr. Brake Man

It's not an opinion and I am not an expert, Mr. 39Mustang. You are 100% right!

Proof? I am asking the question, cause I do not get it :)

Leaks: You have numerous topics on that! Many on this TS forum... Be it the bleeder's leaks or the piston's seals.

Many topics about the subject on other websites. If you have Baers Extreme and have not had any issue you are lucky! (Do you?)

You think I speak about something I do not know about?

Think twice, I have had Baers Extreme front brakes on my GT500 and took them off. Replaced with the stock ones after ruining a set of painted rims with brake fluid.

I still have the Baer system in a box.

Expensive: Just compare the Wilwoods to the Baers and you have your answer.

Inventory: Just look at the online shop.

Discount: I asked the shop already.

Wilwood= better: I have been told that at the Shelby shop in LV two weeks ago while visiting.

So what have you to say to help me understand why a better brake system is half as expensive as a bad one that is still on the inventory?

You are correct about the mechanics, but just slapping on a larger caliper in the rear is a good way to find you and your car in a mangled mess. All of the larger rear kits offered take into account brake balance or bias which is not a trivial concern, so yes, you have over simplified it. The brakes on the GT500 are excellent brakes and Brembo will never offer a rear caliper.

I'm sure this has more to do with the way they are mounted on a typical straight axle like we have in the current S197 platform... But GM has been offering the 4-wheel Brembo Pkg on the SS Camaro with the IRS since 2010...

T6010-1.jpg

Personally, I am OK with having the Brembos only on the Fronts of my BOSS... Better pads, cooling ducts and Hi-Temp fluid and you can run all day long at the track...

However, from an Appearance point-of-view, I would prefer to have a matching set of Brembos on the Rear... At least on the BOSS/GT500, the OEM rear calipers are painted black so they tend to blend in a little better...

Archived