TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2013 Shelby GT350 Prototype #1 Build

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No offense, but you guys should let the formally-trained designers at Ford handle the aesthetics. These cars are looking worse and worse by the day. The retro badge is cool as a novelty, but doesn't belong with this design. Maybe an updated version of the retro badge would make more sense. Generally speaking, I believe you would add more credibility to the Shelby brand as a whole if you spent time developing a package that enhances the existing Mustang lineup and is more in line with Ford's marketing strategy. It makes no sense to offer a GT350 with 650hp that competes with a GT500. The value of all Shelby Mustangs are diluted every day as you shift the focus to customized, post-title packages and endless special editions.

Love the grille badging... Love the color. The pics don't give a good representation of the GHG. They look too light...

Here's a pic I have from the NYC Auto Show. My son posing with his SAI shirt! :happy feet:

Has a little of a gold glow to it.

GreenBoss.jpg

No offense, but you guys should let the formally-trained designers at Ford handle the aesthetics. These cars are looking worse and worse by the day. The retro badge is cool as a novelty, but doesn't belong with this design. Maybe an updated version of the retro badge would make more sense. Generally speaking, I believe you would add more credibility to the Shelby brand as a whole if you spent time developing a package that enhances the existing Mustang lineup and is more in line with Ford's marketing strategy. It makes no sense to offer a GT350 with 650hp that competes with a GT500. The value of all Shelby Mustangs are diluted every day as you shift the focus to customized, post-title packages and endless special editions.

Why would anyone take offense to that post? :headscratch:

Generally speaking, I believe you would add more credibility to the Shelby brand as a whole if you spent time developing a package that enhances the existing Mustang lineup and is more in line with Ford's marketing strategy. It makes no sense to offer a GT350 with 650hp that competes with a GT500. The value of all Shelby (FORD) Mustangs are diluted every day as you shift the focus to customized, post-title packages and endless special editions.

Although I agree that this car looks like a design school dropout finalized it I disagree with you regarding their diluting the "Shelby" value. The GT-350 is not designed to compete with the GT500, first and foremost the 350 is a SHELBY although it's a post title, it's redesignated at SAI as a SHELBY, the GT500 has Shelby badging on it, but other than Carroll signing off on the plans, it's never touched by SAI, it doesn't have a CSM#, and will never carry the true cachet of a SHELBY assembled into such at the SAI factory.

As for the Post-title packages, they'll continue, that's the only way that you can make a Shelby (Ford) into a SHELBY. Unless Ford and SAI get back into bed together and build and sell Pre-title cars again, like the GT and GT-H, of course that's not going to happen since "the man" God rest his soul, is no longer with us...

Yeah, I figured that argument would creep into the discussion..about my GT500 not being a 'real' Shelby because it wasn't modified by the folks in Vegas. That's BS. My car is a Shelby, period. It can be added to the Shelby registry by VIN alone. The man himself was involved in both name and spirit in the development of the GT500. 100% of the engineering for all of these Mustangs was done by Ford anyway. Without Ford's help there would be no Shelby Mustang to even argue about. To be perfectly honest, Shelby American has done very little to create their 'authentic' versions beyond adding aftermarket performance parts available to anyone (including many of those parts being sourced from Ford Racing). Dolling the cars up with inferior stripe kits and badges and selling them at a huge premium doesn't make sense to me. And like it or not, the GT350 does compete with the GT500, as they appeal to the same buyer, sport similar horsepower numbers, and cost as much or more as a GT500. That looks like a money grab to me, not a well thought out collaboration.

Yeah, I figured that argument would creep into the discussion..about my GT500 not being a 'real' Shelby because it wasn't modified by the folks in Vegas. That's BS. My car is a Shelby, period. It can be added to the Shelby registry by VIN alone. The man himself was involved in both name and spirit in the development of the GT500. 100% of the engineering for all of these Mustangs was done by Ford anyway. Without Ford's help there would be no Shelby Mustang to even argue about. To be perfectly honest, Shelby American has done very little to create their 'authentic' versions beyond adding aftermarket performance parts available to anyone (including many of those parts being sourced from Ford Racing). Dolling the cars up with inferior stripe kits and badges and selling them at a huge premium doesn't make sense to me. And like it or not, the GT350 does compete with the GT500, as they appeal to the same buyer, sport similar horsepower numbers, and cost as much or more as a GT500. That looks like a money grab to me, not a well thought out collaboration.

Any car that that helps to increase the prestige and hertitage of the Shelby name deserves to be called a Shelby .... where it is built is not important but the passion of the owner is what matters.

Just my .02

But I do like what SA has shown to this point and I look forward to more pictures.

Your post made me, and many others I'm sure, chuckle just a little! So, what has changed from 1965 compared to today? It sounds to me like Shelby American is doing the same thing they have always done when it comes to modifying and "re-engineering" Mustangs. Maybe you need a history lesson on Shelby American. You are correct though - the GT 500 was engineered and made by Ford with Mr. Shelby's blessing. The Shelby GT, GT/SC, GTS, Super Snake, GT 350 and some other Shelby models were re-engineered Ford Mustangs by Shelby American and modified by Shelby American - not Ford - just like they were back during the 1960's. Many of the Shelbys from the 1960's too, used off-the-shelf Ford parts for their modifications; to include brakes, export braces, wheels, suspension upgrades etc.

Many here, aren't interested in a GT 500. We grew up on vintage Shelbys and when the time came again to relive the days gone by, we jumped at the chance to purchase a Shelby American car again. I've owned two 1960's GT 350's and believe me, nothing will put a smile on your face like a genuine, Shelby-engineered, supercharged beast that they manufacture today. After-all, these Mustangs are a Shelby - engineered and modified by Shelby American (Carroll Shelby's company) !!!

Too bad you weren't around back then to enjoy the Shelby experience. It was a blast then as it is now. Enjoy your GT 500 as it is also a great car from a great legend to us all - Mr. Carroll Shelby. There are many models of Mustangs to choose from today, just like during the 1960's thru the early 1970's. What was once old is now new again and I for one am thankful that there are alternatives to some of Ford's offerings. After all, there are many more GT 500's being produced than Shelby American cars. For some of us here, we like that option more than a factory purchased "hot rod."

jP

can we see a rearend shot

Yes. At this point though, we have not completed that part yet.

Won't that car be around $100K when finished?

No where near that amount.

If Ford handled the aesthetics, they would not have had to copy the 2011-2012 Shelby GT350 rear taillight panel and implement it on their 2013 Mustang line.

The 2013 GT350's logos are purposeful for this product as it closely follows the footsteps of the 1967 (3rd year of GT350 production). As is the case with Porsche, BMW, Ferrari, etc., the Shelby logo is one of the most widely recognized ones in the world, so we're not going to abandon the logo and loose that brand recognition "just because."

Factually speaking, Shelby has developed the hottest packages for the Ford Mustang since 1965 and that's what we still do today. Shelby isn't owned, controlled or operated by Ford, however, we do cooperate with Ford and are delighted to be partners - but we have our own marketing strategy that works in concert with Ford.

Are you stating that because the 2013 GT500 offers 650+ horsepower and the 2013 GT350 offers 624 that they compete merely on horsepower alone? If that's what you're stating, than you are incorrect. The GT350 and GT500 serve different purposes, cater to different customers and offers different driving characteristics.

As for the Post-title packages, they'll continue, that's the only way that you can make a Shelby (Ford) into a SHELBY. Unless Ford and SAI get back into bed together and build and sell Pre-title cars again, like the GT and GT-H, of course that's not going to happen since "the man" God rest his soul, is no longer with us...

We're not going to comment on future products, but neither party has stated that there will not be pre-title cars again or some sort of joint effort. Maybe you'll get a hint of something really soon.

I certainly consider the 2007-2013 Shelby GT500s produced in "Dearborn" to be the real deals. Of course, everyone has their own opinion be it the 1965-1967 vs. the 1968-1970 models or the Las Vegas vs. "Dearborn" built cars. As Mark Twain said, "It's the difference of opinion that makes horses race." We're proud that our name and our heritage is encompassed in all Shelby products - be it a 1965, 1970, Dearborn or Las Vegas vehicle.

Ford and Shelby American cooperate as a partnership. And just as Shelby itself relies on partners and suppliers, I can assure you that 100% of the engineering was not done by Ford and neither are all of the parts that appear on the GT500.

Love your Shelby and enjoy the ride. That's what makes us all happy. :)

Yes. At this point though, we have not completed that part yet.

No where near that amount.

If Ford handled the aesthetics, they would not have had to copy the 2011-2012 Shelby GT350 rear taillight panel and implement it on their 2013 Mustang line.

The 2013 GT350's logos are purposeful for this product as it closely follows the footsteps of the 1967 (3rd year of GT350 production). As is the case with Porsche, BMW, Ferrari, etc., the Shelby logo is one of the most widely recognized ones in the world, so we're not going to abandon the logo and loose that brand recognition "just because."

Factually speaking, Shelby has developed the hottest packages for the Ford Mustang since 1965 and that's what we still do today. Shelby isn't owned, controlled or operated by Ford, however, we do cooperate with Ford and are delighted to be partners - but we have our own marketing strategy that works in concert with Ford.

Are you stating that because the 2013 GT500 offers 650+ horsepower and the 2013 GT350 offers 624 that they compete merely on horsepower alone? If that's what you're stating, than you are incorrect. The GT350 and GT500 serve different purposes, cater to different customers and offers different driving characteristics.

We're not going to comment on future products, but neither party has stated that there will not be pre-title cars again or some sort of joint effort. Maybe you'll get a hint of something really soon.

I certainly consider the 2007-2013 Shelby GT500s produced in "Dearborn" to be the real deals. Of course, everyone has their own opinion be it the 1965-1967 vs. the 1968-1970 models or the Las Vegas vs. "Dearborn" built cars. As Mark Twain said, "It's the difference of opinion that makes horses race." We're proud that our name and our heritage is encompassed in all Shelby products - be it a 1965, 1970, Dearborn or Las Vegas vehicle.

Ford and Shelby American cooperate as a partnership. And just as Shelby itself relies on partners and suppliers, I can assure you that 100% of the engineering was not done by Ford and neither are all of the parts that appear on the GT500.

Love your Shelby and enjoy the ride. That's what makes us all happy. :)

You guys need to drop this real shelby crap. Mr Luft said it best a while back. Someone tell Carroll a GT500 is not a real Shelby :)

No offence guys but, it seems a tad bit arrogant to think yourself more of an expert on Shelby than the man himself

Great job on the GT350 SA!

Won't that car be around $100K when finished?

From what we can see from these pictures, polished blower (assume 624hp) and cooling package, this car is $69,589.00.

You can build one yourself here - http://shelbyautos.com/ and get the accurate cost.

Your post made me, and many others I'm sure, chuckle just a little! So, what has changed from 1965 compared to today? It sounds to me like Shelby American is doing the same thing they have always done when it comes to modifying and "re-engineering" Mustangs. Maybe you need a history lesson on Shelby American. You are correct though - the GT 500 was engineered and made by Ford with Mr. Shelby's blessing. The Shelby GT, GT/SC, GTS, Super Snake, GT 350 and some other Shelby models were re-engineered Ford Mustangs by Shelby American and modified by Shelby American - not Ford - just like they were back during the 1960's. Many of the Shelbys from the 1960's too, used off-the-shelf Ford parts for their modifications; to include brakes, export braces, wheels, suspension upgrades etc.

Many here, aren't interested in a GT 500. We grew up on vintage Shelbys and when the time came again to relive the days gone by, we jumped at the chance to purchase a Shelby American car again. I've owned two 1960's GT 350's and believe me, nothing will put a smile on your face like a genuine, Shelby-engineered, supercharged beast that they manufacture today. After-all, these Mustangs are a Shelby - engineered and modified by Shelby American (Carroll Shelby's company) !!!

Too bad you weren't around back then to enjoy the Shelby experience. It was a blast then as it is now. Enjoy your GT 500 as it is also a great car from a great legend to us all - Mr. Carroll Shelby. There are many models of Mustangs to choose from today, just like during the 1960's thru the early 1970's. What was once old is now new again and I for one am thankful that there are alternatives to some of Ford's offerings. After all, there are many more GT 500's being produced than Shelby American cars. For some of us here, we like that option more than a factory purchased "hot rod."

I can agree to disagree on this one. Nostalgia always views history through rose-colored glasses. Today's cars provide a FAR better performance than anything offered in the late 60's. I grew up with my father owning Camaros, Corvettes, Barricudas and while I have respect for what transpired at that time within the muscle car culture, my 'factory hot-rod' will run circles around any of those cars, including the old Shelbys. The fact of the matter is, Ford designed and engineered the vast majority of ALL Shelby Mustangs. Period. I admire Carroll Shelby and the work that is being done by Shelby American today, but the aftermarket parts are engineered by all manner of folks. The superchargers the post-title packages utilize are sourced from Ford Racing and Kenne Belle...NOT Shelby. So the combination of cosmetic badges and aftermarket parts does not translate into those cars being anymore 'genuine' than mine.

Love it! Everything about it! Cannot wait to see the finished product!

A stripe delete option really needs to be considered.

Sales can confirm, however, I think that you can order a stripe delete.

I can agree to disagree on this one. Nostalgia always views history through rose-colored glasses. Today's cars provide a FAR better performance than anything offered in the late 60's. I grew up with my father owning Camaros, Corvettes, Barricudas and while I have respect for what transpired at that time within the muscle car culture, my 'factory hot-rod' will run circles around any of those cars, including the old Shelbys. The fact of the matter is, Ford designed and engineered the vast majority of ALL Shelby Mustangs. Period. I admire Carroll Shelby and the work that is being done by Shelby American today, but the aftermarket parts are engineered by all manner of folks. The superchargers the post-title packages utilize are sourced from Ford Racing and Kenne Belle...NOT Shelby. So the combination of cosmetic badges and aftermarket parts does not translate into those cars being anymore 'genuine' than mine.

If you really believe that Chrysler, Ford, GM, etc. design, engineer and manufacture all of their own parts and components, you are mistaken. This industry is partnership driven - period.

To tungsten gt 500 - if you read my post carefully, you would ascertain that I never anywhere said the cars of "yesteryear" were better than or equal to the Shelbys or Mustangs being built today. As a matter-of fact, I said, "nothing will put a smile on your face like a genuine, Shelby-engineered, supercharged beast that they manufacture today."

Frankly sir, your posts here are misconstrued and full of factual errors, I, and everyone else here, surely can't take anything you post as serious or genuine. By-the-way, Ford Racing superchargers are not made by Ford. They are manufactured by Belle and Whipple and sold by Ford Racing, which is the same superchargers used by Shelby American.

Maybe someday you will have the opportunity to be part of the tradition and heritage that made Shelby American what it is today. In the meantime, as I posted earlier to you, enjoy your GT 500, it is a great car.

Any car that that helps to increase the prestige and hertitage of the Shelby name deserves to be called a Shelby .... where it is built is not important but the passion of the owner is what matters.

Just my .02

But I do like what SA has shown to this point and I look forward to more pictures.

+1

For me it's real simple. 4000 GT500's vs. less than 200 GT350's produced each year. I never have to worry about seeing another 350 out on the road when I'm cruising. End of story.

Point taken...and yes it's a very exclusive, expensive vehicle...but if this was a key factor about you owning one of these vehicles it seems to me you would be on the side of them making less of these and not more of them.

I have five SVT dealers in a 20 mile radius of my home and I drive my GT500 almost every day for 6 or 7 months of the year and I'd be hard pressed to see more than a handfull of any model year at any given year.....4000 + vehicles annually is a worldwide number so it's not like you see one on every street corner.

"sjones007"

Although I agree that this car looks like a design school dropout finalized it I disagree with you regarding their diluting the "Shelby" value. The GT-350 is not designed to compete with the GT500, first and foremost the 350 is a SHELBY although it's a post title, it's redesignated at SAI as a SHELBY, the GT500 has Shelby badging on it, but other than Carroll signing off on the plans, it's never touched by SAI, it doesn't have a CSM#, and will never carry the true cachet of a SHELBY assembled into such at the SAI factory.

Mr. Jones, you really do Mr. Shelby a grave disservice.

To suggest Carrol Shelby simply signed-off on the plans for the new generation GT500 is innaccruate, and shows your lack of knowledge of how Carroll Shelby "protects" his Brand.

Shelby was talented racing driver with a strong business background. He was NOT and engineer, but he knew what he wanted and secured the resourses to make it happen.

Whether it be hiring Moon Engineering to help him get a Ford V8 to fit and function in an AC chassis in the early '60s, to reuniting with Ford to create a Corvette-beater in new century we call a GT500.

If you mean, "the true cachet" of being assembled in Shelby's Henderson, NV facility, then be sure you include the Hood Scoop Recall for the SGTs, and the misaligned stripes found on examples displayed at the Hard Rock Cafe the evening before the Shelby 427 NASCAR on March 1st, 2009.

Lastly, the dash plaque on my GT500 is hand-signed by the "Old Man" himself. Too bad you can't say the same thing for that CSN Dash Plaque. Where's the "Cachet" in that?

"springer"

Mr. Springer... Forgive my perception that your remark about, "Mr. Shelby's Blessing" is nothing more than a signature from his home in Gardenia, CA.

I wish all gathered here on this thread could have witnessed the video of the new 2013 GT500 being track tested last November.

This was part of a presentation by FoMoCo at the TS Northeast 50th Anniversary Tribute in Carlisle, PA on June 1st.

You could see this GT500 going through the paces on the track; drifting through corners (tires smokin' 'n squeelin'), finding the car's limits, and flat-out smoking burnouts...

...and who was beating the hell out of this car? Yep! Carroll Shelby! At 88 years old, just 7 months before he left us.

While the ultimate "Blessing" may have been a signature of approval from his home office, Let no one here believe that this Icon of American Muscle was anything but directly involved in every product that carries his name...

...right up to the day he died.

"svttim"

You guys need to drop this real shelby crap. Mr Luft said it best a while back. Someone tell Carroll a GT500 is not a real Shelby :)

Can't say it any better than that, Tim! Thanks.

-QC

Archived