TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Motor Trend Aug 2012 has complete road test...goes for 200 mph

Just got the August issue of Motor Trend and you might say it's the Carroll Shelby issue with several stories about him through the years and a complete road test of a 2013 Shelby GT-500. They go for 200 mph and "only" hit 196 on the Chrysler Arizona Proving Grounds oval track. It's a 5-mile oval with a one-mile straight. A Shelby rep told them they need 17,000 feet of straight tarmac to hit 200 mph. Later they dyno it and get an "overspeed" warning from the dyno when it hits 211 mph. More to follow as more magazines test it.

Maybe they should have just put a 2:73 rear set in the '13 when they dropped the ratio and shoot for 210 MPH! This is just ridiculous. Who drives a Mustang 200 MPH. So ya need three miles of open flat road to accomplish this, I'll take your word for it. This is nothing more than a bunch of marketing BS. Ford installs a motor that spins 662HP on an engine stand. They then find it necessary to install a sissy rear end gear along with some electronic power reducers to make it driveable. Great car for sure but maybe not all that some here seem to believe.

Maybe they should have just put a 2:73 rear set in the '13 when they dropped the ratio and shoot for 210 MPH! This is just ridiculous. Who drives a Mustang 200 MPH. So ya need three miles of open flat road to accomplish this, I'll take your word for it. This is nothing more than a bunch of marketing BS. Ford installs a motor that spins 662HP on an engine stand. They then find it necessary to install a sissy rear end gear along with some electronic power reducers to make it driveable. Great car for sure but maybe not all that some here seem to believe.

Kinda like GM's claimed Ring times for the zl1. :hysterical:

Great car for sure but maybe not all that some here seem to believe.

Absolutely it’s ridiculous. Wonderfully Ridiculous!

Show us another Showroom stock car for under $70K capable of 200MPH at any distance, which will still get 15/24MPG, and is not likely to kill the average (responsible) Joe on the way home from the dealership.

Of course it was done for marketing (or more appropriately, bragging rights), but its all about balance. If I understand your logic correctly no one needs a car with more than enough power to reach the speed limit.

:headscratch:

Bill,

there are two different covers for ths magazine. It appears that subscribers got the gold toned version with the 2013 GT500 on it, while the news stand version has more of a sivler tone and Carrolls personal Cobra (the blue/red one, not CSX2000) on it.

You may be right but #'s sell...and 200 mph is an awesome selling point.

If you haven't seen the issue of Motor Trend yet, a few of the highlights of the road test are:

0-60 = 3.5

0-100 = 7.7

1/4-mile = 11.6 @ 125.7

60-0 = 101 feet

Lateral = .98 G

RWHP = 583 hp @ 6470

RWTQ = 588 tq @ 4119

Like I said in the other post #'s sell...And those are awesome #'s right there.

Bill,

there are two different covers for ths magazine. It appears that subscribers got the gold toned version with the 2013 GT500 on it, while the news stand version has more of a sivler tone and Carrolls personal Cobra (the blue/red one, not CSX2000) on it.

There are two covers and both are being sold at the news stand. I just picked up the Gold version at Target. I also picked up the current Dupont Registry which has the 50th Super Snake and CSX2000 on the cover.

Archived