TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2013 Shelby GT500 Super Snake

The "value" equation is having a vehicle converted at Shelby American in Las Vegas with documentation vs. a Shelby GT500 with owner installed parts. No or low ROI. Long term value is collector car market dictated. Look at the latest results from the Monterey auctions. They speak for themself.

You are putting words in to Roger's mouth. Roger is referring to the difference in value between a non-SuperSnake GT500 that is owner modified and a SuperSnake. Roger was not making any reference to an owner modified SuperSnake.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roger was saying a supersnake is worth more than a regular shelby gt500. This is due to the fact it is made by shelby and has the CSM number so from a collectors point of view apparently is worth me.

If you gave me 2 shelbys with both the exact same parts but one had a CSM from shelby and the other did not I wouldn't give two sh**s. If one was 85,000 which is the SS price and the other 70,000. I rather get the 70,000. I wonder how many people out there actually do want to pay the extra 15,000 just to say MY SHELBY IS REGISTERED WITH A CSM.

Roger was saying a supersnake is worth more than a regular shelby gt500. This is due to the fact it is made by shelby and has the CSM number so from a collectors point of view apparently is worth me.

If you gave me 2 shelbys with both the exact same parts but one had a CSM from shelby and the other did not I wouldn't give two sh**s. If one was 85,000 which is the SS price and the other 70,000. I rather get the 70,000. I wonder how many people out there actually do want to pay the extra 15,000 just to say MY SHELBY IS REGISTERED WITH A CSM.

Considering Shelby has made a pretty good business of building SuperSnakes for that last several years, my guess is plenty.

Considering Shelby has made a pretty good business of building SuperSnakes for that last several years, my guess is plenty.

Thats due to the convience of having it all done by shelby and all that stuff. Or most just keep the car. But as far as a ROI point of view there is none in my opinion. I have yet to see anyone sell an SS for what they paid or more.

Plus don't forget the super snake isn't the only car they sell.

There is the gt350 and gts. The gt350 has a very good value being only around 45k I believe? IMO the gt350 is worth every penny. Though it just looks ugly. But the super snake has always been more about profit I guess and over pricing than really getting a good deal.

Wow. Very few, if anyone is shipping their GT500 to Vegas or TASCA for up to three months and spending ~$30k having a SuperSnake built becuase it 'convenient'. Convenient is purchasing a SuperSnake from the 1st owner. Convenient is having your local speed shop modify your GT500.

I would love to see how many SuperSnake owners had the car built because it was 'convenient'!

You are right, the SuperSnake has never been the only post title car they have built. That hasn't stopped them from being successful at selling them. Whether or not the SuperSnake is worth the investment is an individual assessment, not a financial fact.

If I have my SGT painted to look like a bass boat change out the interior for velour with the little round tassels from the headliner, yes I am certain to kill the car's retail value, but to me it would be priceless! But, if I incorporate tasteful Shelby inspired or branded mods my SGT's value is unlikely to tank and only history will tell if it will hold steady, or even grow. The same is true for any SuperSnake.

You all are arguing with no apparent end to the argument.

My point was the same as the one Phill expressed afterwards.

Here is my perception of this whole thing. I can spend $40-45K with options for a Super Snake conversion. Once this conversion is done the car will not have the suspension options I want to do to make a good handling car a great handling car. Now I can then spend the extra money while the car is in Vegas to modify the car to my satisfaction without removing one single part from the Super Snake conversion. But now the car is listed as a modified Super Snake in the Registry, whether I have Shelby America do the modifications or I have it done by some else or I do it myself. Now what really grabs you by the throat on this is............if I strictly use Shelby America parts to do these modifications it adds no more value than if I use another source to purchase the same manufactures parts to complete the modifications. I can also buy a different manufacturers parts to accomplish my goals and again it won't change the value or the perception of value of the car as modified. So if by modifying the car from its creation as a Super Snake is going to hurt the value of the finished product. Why would I want to purchase the Super Snake conversion in the first place. This is basically the argument of what I'm gathering from this thread. Now when Roger asked for input on a Super Snake, my response was to make every bit of the suspension pieces listed in the Performance Catalog as an option for a Super Snake, but I believe this will than make the Super Snake a closer contender with the sales department when it concerns a S-1000. It would also make the price difference between the two cars hard to justify to the prospective S-1000 consumers when then the only difference between the cars is the engine, clutch and rear end assembly concerning performance upgrades

My point is if a modified Super Snake isn't worth as mush in cash than a standard Super Snake 5 years from now and you can't get SA to supply what you really want in a car...........why purchase a Super Snake from Shelby when you can build a clone with the modifications you want for tens of thousands of dollars less? SA needs to consider how much they lose in lost sales when it comes to how a car or who modifies a car. I said earlier in a post that Carroll Shelby was all about performance, that's what he sold when he started with Ford in the sixties. ROI wasn't in the equation. He wanted cars to go to races and win, not to be garage queens that can't be enjoyed. He also was willing to change something on a particular car in the middle of the supposed production run to further the performance without thinking of what the future would bring in the value of these changes in today's market place.........again performance was the rule. This is something I think SA has lost in their marketing meetings. They are more worried about profit and image then the final performance of the car from what I've seen

I don't see any arguing, just good bull.

I'll agree with a lot of what you said Mr. Haney with the acception that I don't beleive Shelby America is only concerned with the bottom line. They are trying create a Mustang worthy of the Shelby name and offer a product that is a good balance between performance and looks that is livable on the streets everyday. Oh, and make a respectable profit.

Maybe Shelby America should consider a SuperSnake option that is 'A la carte'. Without offering the same engine and axle mods as the 1000 I don't see it competing with the 1000. At $200k people are purchasing a 1000 for exclusivity and not necessary for performance.

Only a comment. My GT500 2012 is at Las Vegas facility for the SS conversion. I asked yesterday why I was not given other options different than ones listed in the "Build Sheet". They answered me that those options are handling by the "Speed Shop" and has to be dealt directly with Frankie..............for example: Torsen Differential :rockon:

Given by what Roger said then yes Amigo's super snake would be considered a modified super snake. Though he did modify his car BEFORE taking it to shelby. Maybe Mr.Haney the way around your problem is if your mods have nothing to do with the SS conversion go do your mods BEFORE you get the SS conversion then you don't have to touch it after the conversion.

See Phill's problem was he wanted to mess with something that was part of the SS conversion. What you want to do has nothing to do with it so do the mods BEFORE you get your car SSed.

I don't see any arguing, just good bull.

I'll agree with a lot of what you said Mr. Haney with the acception that I don't beleive Shelby America is only concerned with the bottom line. They are trying create a Mustang worthy of the Shelby name and offer a product that is a good balance between performance and looks that is livable on the streets everyday. Oh, and make a respectable profit.

Maybe Shelby America should consider a SuperSnake option that is 'A la carte'. Without offering the same engine and axle mods as the 1000 I don't see it competing with the 1000. At $200k people are purchasing a 1000 for exclusivity and not necessary for performance.

I don't think we are argueing either :)

And when I say convienent I don't mean shipping it there. I mean putting all those pieces together. I wouldn't trust my shop to replicate that stuff. I would only trust a luxury exotic dealership to do that or Shelby because they have done it over and over again hence convienence. I can't tell you how many times with my shop they put something on then I have to go back and eventually it takes 4x me going back before its on perfect.

At this time it's a pretty big assumption that an owner modified SuperSnake will loose value. I can see it loosing points with MCA when and if they begin including the modern mustangs within their contours judging.

Here is the most simple example of how modifying your car will hurt its value. And not just in the eye of judges;

If you decide to buy a '66/'67 GT350, or a 1967 GT500, or a 1968 GT500KR (just 3 examples of many Shelbys) will you pay more for a 100% original car (even with NOS partrs) or one that the owner modified with suspension parts, engine parts, blah X 3?

I rest my case, your Honor.

Phill

Here is the most simple example of how modifying your car will hurt its value. And not just in the eye of judges;

If you decide to buy a '66/'67 GT350, or a 1967 GT500, or a 1968 GT500KR (just 3 examples of many Shelbys) will you pay more for a 100% original car (even with NOS partrs) or one that the owner modified with suspension parts, engine parts, blah X 3?

I rest my case, your Honor.

Phill

That is an absolutly true statement for the classic Shelby's, but at this time you cannot apply the same level of collector value on a modern Shelby, its simply too unknown. The modern Shelby are expensive and desirable cars but only time will tell if they hold any substantial collectable value 30-40yrs from now.

Well what about all those underground racing packages hefner does for lamborghini, FGT, and audi? On elite autos there is a gallardo selling for 300k when it had 150k in modifications.

Plus I would pay more for a gt500 say with upgraded interior, and suspension parts that ACTUALLY keep stock drivability but make it better. Thats why I'm only doing LCA/UCA and watts link on my car. No added NVH but it improves grip and turning.

Or even a gt500 where the owner took out those crap ass rods and put manley forged rods and maybe replaced some of the other components with titanium versions. I know MMR offers titanium valve springs I think it was? I am not sure but it was titanium something.

People go crazy with mods sometimes and it completely changes the dynamics of the car since pretty much every aftermarket part as a negative to it. So its just a matter of picking the ones that don't. I believe people would pay more for a car if the mods were done correctly and in a way to not provide any negative drawbacks.

For example my rear view camera anyone who gets in the car thinks the car came with it since it works so well. No drawbacks.

That is an absolutly true statement for the classic Shelby's, but at this time you cannot apply the same level of collector value on a modern Shelby, its simply too unknown. The modern Shelby are expensive and desirable cars but only time will tell if they hold any substantial collectable value 30-40yrs from now.

Roger Sorel (Shelby American Rep) himself continues to advocate the "ROI" from buying a Super Snake.

ROI = Return On INVESTMENT. I'm not talking short term. No one in their right mind would think of buying a Super Snake as a short term investment. You'll only see a ROI as a long term investment. But hey, even at that Roger was actually saying how good of an investment a SS is short term after Gary Davis did a commentary on how well SS's are returning and Roger pointed out 3 Super Snakes that sold at Barret Jackson...And completely ignored all of the Super Snakes that sold on e-bay and via private sales.

Which is why *I* keep harping on the "investment" aspect of buying a SS and why *I* keep saying, "Live by the sword, die by the sword." I mean, if Roger is going to keep harping on ROI then I'm going to keep harping on how important it is (for investment value) to keep the car 100% genuine. And by me adding my own white stripe, I'll injure that so called 'investment'.

They can't have it both ways. They can't sit there and advocate my return but at the same time, advocate me modifying my SS (had I purchased one).

Phill

Again, the only ROI statement I've seen from Roger is refering to a non-SuperSnake GT500 that is owner modified vs. a SuperSnake. Not whether or not a SuperSnake's ROI will be compromised if its owner modified. I take Roger to imply that with an equal investment in an owner modified GT500 vs. the purchase of a SuperSnake that you are more likely to regain more of that investment with a SuperSnake than an owner modified GT500, and I agree with him. However, because your ROI on a SuperSnake may be greater than an owner modified GT500 it does not assure that your SuperSnake will appreciate in value over time. From the few SuperSnake I've seen sold it appears most have sold at roughly their purchase price regardless of owner modifications.

From your statements you either see it completely differently than I do or you have Roger on record stating that if you modify a SuperSnake you will devalue it. I have a really hard believing that to be the case.

I've said many times on TS, if anyone (not specifically you Phill as I don't believe it to be so) purchased a modern Shelby as an investment then they have missed the point of owning a Shelby.

Again, the only ROI statement I've seen from Roger is refering to a non-SuperSnake GT500 that is owner modified vs. a SuperSnake. Not whether or not a SuperSnake's ROI will be compromised if its owner modified. I take Roger to imply that with an equal investment in an owner modified GT500 vs. the purchase of a SuperSnake that you are more likely to regain more of that investment with a SuperSnake than an owner modified GT500, and I agree with him. However, because your ROI on a SuperSnake may be greater than an owner modified GT500 it does not assure that your SuperSnake will appreciate in value over time. CORRECT.

From your statements you either see it completely differently than I do or you have Roger on record stating that if you modify a SuperSnake you will devalue it. I have a really hard believing that to be the case. NO RECORD OF A STATEMENT OF THAT KIND.

I've said many times on TS, if anyone purchased a modern Shelby as an investment then they have missed the point of owning a Shelby. AGREE.

Roger Sorel (Shelby American Rep) himself continues to advocate the "ROI" from buying a Super Snake.

ROI = Return On INVESTMENT. I'm not talking short term. No one in their right mind would think of buying a Super Snake as a short term investment. You'll only see a ROI as a long term investment. But hey, even at that Roger was actually saying how good of an investment a SS is short term after Gary Davis did a commentary on how well SS's are returning and Roger pointed out 3 Super Snakes that sold at Barret Jackson...And completely ignored all of the Super Snakes that sold on e-bay and via private sales.

Which is why *I* keep harping on the "investment" aspect of buying a SS and why *I* keep saying, "Live by the sword, die by the sword." I mean, if Roger is going to keep harping on ROI then I'm going to keep harping on how important it is (for investment value) to keep the car 100% genuine. And by me adding my own white stripe, I'll injure that so called 'investment'.

They can't have it both ways. They can't sit there and advocate my return but at the same time, advocate me modifying my SS (had I purchased one).

Phill

Phil,

You of all people know better than to read into my statements and stretch the interpretation. ROI on investing in parts for a "owner made" Super Snake does not provide any ROI. In fact they are parts purchased over the counter that devalue with age as with the vehicle.

On the other hand, Super Snake is a sub-brand of Shelby American developed with substantial marketing and R&D dollars. It is converted at Shelby American in Las Vegas, carries the CSM badging and historical documentation for the life of the vehicle.

The ROI on a Shelby branded product is ultimately controlled by the collector car market and supply and demand for a specific brand. If history is any indicator, a 1965 Shelby GT350 has a much higher ROI, from original purchase than a 1965 Mustang.

There is no basis for the ROI on the "branded" Super Snake being less than a Shelby GT500 with owner modified or installed parts. That is MY point of the “ROI” statement.

Hope it’s clear now.

Roger

Phil,

You of all people know better than to read into my statements and stretch the interpretation. ROI on investing in parts for a "owner made" Super Snake does not provide any ROI. In fact they are parts purchased over the counter that devalue with age as with the vehicle.

On the other hand, Super Snake is a sub-brand of Shelby American developed with substantial marketing and R&D dollars. It is converted at Shelby American in Las Vegas, carries the CSM badging and historical documentation for the life of the vehicle.

The ROI on a Shelby branded product is ultimately controlled by the collector car market and supply and demand for a specific brand. If history is any indicator, a 1965 Shelby GT350 has a much higher ROI, from original purchase than a 1965 Mustang.

There is no basis for the ROI on the "branded" Super Snake being less than a Shelby GT500 with owner modified or installed parts. That is MY point of the “ROI” statement.

Hope it’s clear now.

Roger

Your kind of being a little contradictory with your first 2 sentences. You first say that making our own shelby with the same parts will devalue with age same as the vehicle. This is true though I would argue some parts add value because people would pay more for a car that had those specific parts than one that didn't. Then you say since the super snake is a sub brand of shelby american and you have lots of R&D dollars which I take it to imply that your parts are somehow superior or equivalent to OEM standards increases value of the car.

But again if that 2nd part is true and because your parts have lots of R&D so they are proven to be benefical then me buying them from your store and putting them on or you putting them should make no difference what so ever in the value those parts add.

So essentially when buying a super snake every single part you put on is a depreciating asset. What you have to tell people will add value to the car to make a "collectors" car or what ever you want to call it ROI blah blah blah is you get the CSM and get put in the shelby regristry.

Though once again being put in that regristry isn't even a big deal since its very easy for someone to get into it. So essentially that 40k we spend to get an SS is just for the CSM if you want to look at it from a ROI stand point.

Now if you want to look at it the way I am thinking then I am thinking those parts SPP sells which are all very good parts for the most part are what add the value because they are OEM equivalent if not better. And they are at least better than other aftermarket brands. Though then again shouldn't make a difference if I put them on or you do. 1+1=2 no matter who says it.

Phil,

You of all people know better than to read into my statements and stretch the interpretation.

Roger,

I'm on the way out the door for my bowling league nigh so I have to keep this one short;

You know first hand how much I value your professionalism and how much respect I have for you as a man and as a Shelby Rep. To say the least, it's immense.

In all fairness to you and to be more than honest, I am going strictly from my own memory and well, you know how memories can be. Especially at our age!

I'm not just 'remembering' your comments in this thread but also in the one where a vid of Gary Patterson (I think it was GP, maybe Vince?) was talking about how a Super Snake is such a great investment and how they are selling for more than what the owner paid for them. My comment was something like..."Yeah, RIGHT" and you cited 3 Barret Jackson sales as proof of his statements along with some other comments.

Also, just quickly; Your statements of, "In fact they are parts purchased over the counter that devalue with age as with the vehicle" are extremely contradictory. Why do I say that? Because I used THE VERY SAME PARTS on my car as Shelby American uses on the Super Snake, PLUS SOME. So if *my* "over the counter parts" devalue with age at the same pace the vehicle devalues, SO DO YOURS. Ford Racing FR3 Handling Pack, Ford Racing Whipple 2.9L supercharger, Shelby/Baer Brakes, etc. etc. etc.

The only difference is, Shelby glued their badge on them.

Crap. Gotta run, I'm getting the mad-dog look from my wife!

RESPECTFULLY,

Phill Pollard

Point being the "value" for lack of a better term is the sum of the parts and Brand Specific build at Shelby American is worth more to many than the parts alone.

I don't see it a contradictory at all. Two separate circumstances entirely.

Example 1: GT 500 with added parts, doesn't matter if they are Shelby branded or suppliers generic non-branded parts. Build the package for let’s say $20,000. The next hottest thing arrives and you trade your vehicle with the parts. What do you receive in return for your parts, labor and time to research pricing, purchasing etc. The trend is usually little or none as the "true value" is what the car books out. Trade value. There may be some who would put more into the car but the values are set through auctions throughout the country that take place every day. The value to the person who completed the work is most certainly "more" than market. Is that wrong? It is what it is. You do not see a listing in the Collector Car Retail or Used values for Joe's Modified GT500 is nowhere to be found in the value books. The Shelby Super Snake, Shelby 1000, Shelby GT, Shelby GT500 KR are in there. Joe's car is a GT500 with no parts added I'm afraid.

Example 2: The Super Snake has a collector value and is listed in collector car value magazines. That is the strength of the brand. The conversion completed by the Brand name on the vehicle. Shelby American and work completed here in Vegas commands a higher retention of initial investment value over the long term.

Simply put vehicles, in general, are not investments in the short term. No one has a crystal ball to determine collector values or the "ROI" over the long term other than historic trends of the brand.

Think it may be clearer. One is a Super Snake one is not. Just fact and not contradictory.

I wont be here in this world by then....meanwhile I enjoy my car being "original SS" or "owner modified SS". At this moment my concern is have fun!!!

Phil,

You of all people know better than to read into my statements and stretch the interpretation.

<SNIP>

Roger

Roger,

Now I'm going to have to call *you* to the carpet.

Reading over my own posts, I don't find anything where I "read into (your) statements and stretch the interpretation."

I said (from your own quote of my words) "Roger Sorel (Shelby American Rep) himself continues to advocate the "ROI" from buying a Super Snake."

Is that a true statement or not?

I used the White SS with the blue stripe Super Snake that was being sold (probably 2-3 years back?) as one point of reference for a "Owner Modified" Snake being devalued by the PUBLIC (not by SHELBY). The guy got trashed over that one although to be 100% fair & accurate, some of the trashing was due to him saying it was a 'factory blue stripe', or a one off or some such thing as that.

I then used a classic GT350, GT500 and/or GT500KR, 100% gennie vs modified as another example of how a "Modified" (owner or otherwise) detracts from the vaule of a non-modified Shelby.

So please tell me or show me where I read into your statements or misinterpreted them. If I did, I'll apologize right here and now.

Again, with RESPECT,

Phill

Point being the "value" for lack of a better term is the sum of the parts and Brand Specific build at Shelby American is worth more to many than the parts alone.

I don't see it a contradictory at all. Two separate circumstances entirely.

Example 1: GT 500 with added parts, <SNIP>

Example 2: The Super Snake has a collector value <SNIP>

Think it may be clearer. One is a Super Snake one is not. Just fact and not contradictory.

Roger,

Thanks for the concise explaination. That absolutely cleared it up for me. I understand what you're saying in regards to owner added "off the shelf parts" vs. Shelby American "off the shelf parts" (albeit both the same "off the shelf parts"!).

However I will argue the point that it's not the *parts* that make the difference in value, it's the NAME OF THE CAR (i.e. GT500 vs Super Snake).

Isn't that a lot like comparing a Mustang GT to a Mustang GT500?

EDIT: You did not however, address the difference in the value of a Owner Modified Super Snake vs. a Shelby Modified Super Snake and/or a 100% 'stock' Super Snake (as my classic GT500, stock vs. modified example outlines). And that's really what this thread has evolved into (owner mod vs. non).

Phill

Roger,

Thanks for the concise explaination. That absolutely cleared it up for me. I understand what you're saying in regards to owner added "off the shelf parts" vs. Shelby American "off the shelf parts" (albeit both the same "off the shelf parts"!).

However I will argue the point that it's not the *parts* that make the difference in value, it's the NAME OF THE CAR (i.e. GT500 vs Super Snake).

Isn't that a lot like comparing a Mustang GT to a Mustang GT500?

EDIT: You did not however, address the difference in the value of a Owner Modified Super Snake vs. a Shelby Modified Super Snake and/or a 100% 'stock' Super Snake (as my classic GT500, stock vs. modified example outlines). And that's really what this thread has evolved into (owner mod vs. non).

Phill

I don't know I'm still kind of confused by this explanation. Still sounds to me that essentially all that money we spend is for the name. Which thats how life is with most cars especially the exotics.

But I feel a daily driven SS would be a bad idea.

To me what this is ultimately about is lack of options. Why should we have to Modify our cars? Because of a stripe? Let's not be petty. Offer whatever stripe combo the customer wants. Otherwise ONLY SELL SS ONCE YOU BUY THEM FROM FORD!!! Then sell to the General public. I think it is ludicrous to only be able to choose YOUR stripe options. Shelby aren't the professionals they are based on stripes... but RACE!!

Phil (and many others) wanted a different stripe, but no, we had to be stubborn about it. Stick to racing and not appearance and maybe a lot of these arguments wouldn't even come up. The Super Snake should denote Power/Hanlding/Braking/Aerodynamics and so forth... NOT STRIPES! I like what you guys do in those departments. It could be cheaper somewhere else yes, but it won't be a SS. But It won't be an original SS because of owner modified stripes???? Give me a break!

Stripes broke open this discussion, and Shelby knows what the "Right" thing to do is....Make it right, that simple. Is it going to really make the company lose money? I don't think so.

I won't get the SS package until I have free reign over stripes. Many will still buy and good for Shelby and good for them, but it is sad!

Phil (and many others) wanted a different stripe, but no, we had to be stubborn about it.

What a lot of people might not realize is that I'm not the only person who has a problem with the lack of stripe color options.

I remember discussions about the exclusive matte black stripe being mentioned in early forum discussions and SAI decided that black was the ONLY color they'd offer, regardless of the fact that they *knew* many were walking away from the Super Snake upfit due to it.

Again, that was a *business* decision on SA's part, which I don't have a problem with. I think it was a *bad* business decision but none the less, it was THEIR decision to make.

I'm just the vocal one you're hearing voice my opinioin about it, because I'm the latest/last one to bitch. If/when someone else has a problem with it, I'll slip to the back of the line.

Phill

I thought there was supposed to be more options for stripes for 2013's? But I read that the only stripe colors are going to be black, white, and blue? That's not exactly expanding the color palette very much but at least there are more options then the 2010's get. Even if I could afford to do the whole package at once like many others, the black stripe would kill the deal for me. A silver SS stripe would be gorgeous!

A good friend of mine contacted yetserday Shelby to have his GT500 2012 SSed. His car is kona blue color and he wanted the stripe delete. They said: No, we cant do it, sorry!! So now he is debating if he the SS conversion and take off the stripes or not having the conversion...

Archived