TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2013 Shelby GT500 Super Snake

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea Phil I always wondered why didn't you just get an SS and pull the stripe off? Besides without the stripe it would look kinda weirddd. Thats a key identifying point in the SS conversion is that single stripe. Now those new wheels are a key identifying downpoint

Yea for a 2007 its 100% worth it.

To be fair, let Roger list and explain all what is done when a 13' is converted.

I think they just came up with the pkg. and it might need some more testing and feedback to fully finalize and edit the complete pkg. description.

There is only one SS at this date, I understand...(the red everyone saw).

And maybe change the wheels...

Just kidding! :hysterical:

Yea Phil I always wondered why didn't you just get an SS and pull the stripe off? Besides without the stripe it would look kinda weirddd. Thats a key identifying point in the SS conversion is that single stripe. Now those new wheels are a key identifying downpoint

I bought a Blue car with White OTT stripes. I bought a Blue car with White OTT stripes because THAT is the color combo I like, and THAT is the color combo wanted.

My first request of Steve Mansell was to leave my original white OTT stripes on the car and leave the new Super Snake hood blank so I could have the dual white OTT stripes put on the hood, like a KR has.

Answer? NOPE, Shelby puts a matte black thin-THICK-thin stripe on their Super Snakes.

My second request was to just make it a stripe delete car so I could put my own (white) dual OTT stripes on the car.

Answer? NOPE, Shelby puts a matte black thin-THICK-thin stripe on their Super Snakes.

My third request was to have Shelby put a white thin-THICK-thin (Super Snake style) stripe on the car instead of the matte black t-T-t SS stripe on it.

Steve told me I could have my car built with the black stripe installed and then when it was 'fresh' and easy to remove, pull the matte black stripe off and install my own white stripe on it...at my expense, of course. AND, it would be listed as a "Owner Modified" Super Snake. I wanted it to be a plain ole Super Snake, not a "OWNER modified" Super Snake.

I tell him, "So let me get this straight. You want me to spend 45 thousand dollars on a Super Snake, to have my original white OTT stripes removed and pay to have the black t-T-t stripe installed, then pay to have it removed and then pay again to have a white t-T-t stripe installed....after I spend $45,000 with Shelby in the first place, AND it will be listed in the Shelby registry as "Owner Modified"?

Answer: YEP!

I walked. It was THEIR loss, not mine. I've said it many times before and I say it again. I respect their ability to make their own business decisions but I think they are completely STUPID to allow $45,000 to walk out their door because of their unwillingness to put a white thin-THICK-thin stripe on MY car (not THEIR car).

It's THEIR loss, not mine...

Phill

I bought a Blue car with White OTT stripes. I bought a Blue car with White OTT stripes because THAT is the color combo I like, and THAT is the color combo wanted.

My first request of Steve Mansell was to leave my original white OTT stripes on the car and leave the new Super Snake hood blank so I could have the dual white OTT stripes put on the hood, like a KR has.

My second request was to just make it a stripe delete car so I could put my own (white) dual OTT stripes on the car.

My third request was to have Shelby put a white thin-THICK-thin (Super Snake style) stripe on the car instead of the matte black t-T-t SS stripe on it.

Steve told me I could have my car built with the black stripe installed and then when it was 'fresh' and easy to remove, pull the matte black stripe off and install my own white stripe on it...at my expense, of course. AND, it would be listed as a "Owner Modified" Super Snake. I wanted it to be a plain ole Super Snake, not a "OWNER modified" Super Snake.

I tell him, "So let me get this straight. You want me to spend 45 thousand dollars on a Super Snake, to have my original white OTT stripes removed and pay to have the black t-T-t stripe installed, then pay to have it removed and then pay again to have a white t-T-t stripe installed....after I spend $45,000 with Shelby in the first place, AND it will be listed in the Shelby registry as "Owner Modified"?

I walked. It was THEIR loss, not mine. I've said it many times before and I say it again. I respect their ability to make their own business decisions but I think they are completely STUPID to allow $45,000 to walk out their door because of their unwillingness to put a white thin-THICK-thin stripe on MY car (not THEIR car).

Phill

Lol such anger in this explanation.

What is the significance of "owner modified super snake". Does it mean you don't get warranty work if all you did was change the stripe? You go to them saying "My engine blew up replace it" and they say "Nope we see this is a owner modified super snake so clearly removing the stripe was the direct cause of your engine blowing up too bad". :)

Lol such anger in this explanation.

What is the significance of "owner modified super snake". Does it mean you don't get warranty work if all you did was change the stripe? You go to them saying "My engine blew up replace it" and they say "Nope we see this is a owner modified super snake so clearly removing the stripe was the direct cause of your engine blowing up too bad". :)

Nooooo, no anger at all. Like I said, I totally respect their right to make a business decision that costs them 45 thousand dollars. I don't agree with it and I think it's stupid but it is THEIR decision.

The significance of the "Owner Modified" tag came out in a thread a couple of years ago when a guy was selling his White w/Blue stripe Super Snake.

"It's owner modified", "It's not a real SS", etc. were all tossed at the guy. With it being "owner modified", it's not as 'valuable' in many folk's eyes, or not as 'genuine' in many folks eyes.

Roger Sorel himself keeps harping on the ROI for a SS vs. a owner modifed GT500 so by Shelby's own admission, it's not worth the same as a Shelby Modified SS.

The old adage of "the customer is always right" apparently doesn't reverberate in the halls of Shelby American.

Live by the sword, die by the sword! They fell upon their own sword and it cost them $45,000.oo.

Phill

I see......Hmm thats stupid. I read a thread that vapor guy who does all those builds had with an 08 SS and he seemed to have fixed every problem with the SS and upgraded it even further. Even widened out the alcoas to fit 335s. I'd totally rather buy that "modified" SS than a regular one the stuff he did to it was awesome. Even did stuff to protect everything underneath from rusting (though my car has undercoating under it too).

Phill

When I visited SA in July (two weeks ago) I had planned to buy for more than 20K of spare parts.

They got me upset and I left with nothing but a T-shirt that my girl friend took when I was not watching...

So I understand your lines.

I am not upset anymore though, but the story changed my mind anyway.

I do not think they need to be successful all the time.

The name still makes it happen often enough.

Still, I am happy to have seen the place. The myth is there.

When I visited SA in July (two weeks ago) I had planned to buy for more than 20K of spare parts.

They got me upset and I left with nothing but a T-shirt that my girl friend took when I was not watching...

So I understand your lines.

I am not upset anymore though, but the story changed my mind anyway.

I do not think they need to be successful all the time.

The name still makes it happen often enough.

Still, I am happy to have seen the place. The myth is there.

How did they make you mad?

That's the kind of customer service that really makes me want to do business with them... NOT!

Definitely the right move to walk away from that deal, with your money.

Phill

Amigo Phil....why is the reason that for the 2010 the only option is black stripes and for 2011 & 2012 the option are black and white stripes as well? If the cars are similar!! Do you know the reason?

Amigo Phil....why is the reason that for the 2010 the only option is black stripes and for 2011 & 2012 the option are black and white stripes as well? If the cars are similar!! Do you know the reason?

When the 11's came out Roger Sorel announced the addition of a white stripe "because of the differences in the 2011's". I pointed out to him that the DIFFERENCE occured in 2010, with the new body style change. His perspective is that the Aluminum block was the big difference......

PFFFFFFFFTTTT, yeah, right.

I asked him if they'd make it retroactive to include the 2010 and he said no.

I tried,

Phill

When the 11's came out Roger Sorel announced the addition of a white stripe "because of the differences in the 2011's". I pointed out to him that the DIFFERENCE occured in 2010, with the new body style change. His perspective is that the Aluminum block was the big difference......

PFFFFFFFFTTTT, yeah, right.

I asked him if they'd make it retroactive to include the 2010 and he said no.

I tried,

Phill

Don't you know if you put any color stripe besides a black one over the iron block engine it clearly will fall out of the car?

"It's owner modified", "It's not a real SS", etc. were all tossed at the guy. With it being "owner modified", it's not as 'valuable' in many folk's eyes, or not as 'genuine' in many folks eyes.

Roger Sorel himself keeps harping on the ROI for a SS vs. a owner modifed GT500 so by Shelby's own admission, it's not worth the same as a Shelby Modified SS.

Phill

So basically you're saying that any car that leaves Shelby America and is modified in any way be the owner afterwards and Shelby finds out about it they'll show it in Registry that the car was owner modified. How many of the Super Snakes end up in the SA speed shop to get the suspension modified with SA front and rear lower control arms and rear upper control arm or a Watts link. Yet these modifications would have nothing to do with altering the car from being a SS in appearance or performance parts that were installed during the SS upgrade. If this is the case then Shelby might as well own the car, if I can't alter things on the car to suit my desires after the SS conversion.

That's true. What about the cars that leave the factory and then go right to the speed shop? Since those are not technically modifications done in the SS package, when it leaves the speed shop will it be in the registry as owner modified? So Super Snakes can be registered as "owner modified" before it even leaves the Shelby facility. If that is the case a lot of the "True SS" prestige is taken away before the owner even picks it up.

I think all registered SS should have to go through an SA annual inspection to check that they have not been altered in any way by their owners, in order to stay in the registry as "Authentic Super Snakes"

If something is found, the owner should be thrown into prison, and the car's description modified as a "Owner modified Super Snake" (read: Junk)...

:hysterical2:

So basically you're saying that any car that leaves Shelby America and is modified in any way by the owner afterwards and Shelby finds out about it they'll show it in Registry that the car was owner modified. How many of the Super Snakes end up in the SA speed shop to get the suspension modified with SA front and rear lower control arms and rear upper control arm or a Watts link. Yet these modifications would have nothing to do with altering the car from being a SS in appearance or performance parts that were installed during the SS upgrade. If this is the case then Shelby might as well own the car, if I can't alter things on the car to suit my desires after the SS conversion.

If someone modifies their Super Snake (or GT500 for that matter) and Shelby 'finds out', or if the owner notifies Shelby to update their registry, it is listed as a "Owner Modified" and the mod is listed.

But if SHELBY does the mod, it's listed as Shelby Modified!

When someone goes to buy it and checks the registry....Which one is going to detract from the value and which will increase the value?

And then you'll always have the crowd that says because your SS is modified (either by the owner or shelby), it's not a 100 point car.

Which is one of the reasons why I wanted MY SS to come right out of Shelby with a white stripe on it, not as a "Modified" Super Snake.

Phill

If someone modifies their Super Snake (or GT500 for that matter) and Shelby 'finds out', or if the owner notifies Shelby to update their registry, it is listed as a "Owner Modified" and the mod is listed.

But if SHELBY does the mod, it's listed as Shelby Modified!

When someone goes to buy it and checks the registry....Which one is going to detract from the value and which will increase the value?

And then you'll always have the crowd that says because your SS is modified (either by the owner or shelby), it's not a 100 point car.

Which is one of the reasons why I wanted MY SS to come right out of Shelby with a white stripe on it, not as a "Modified" Super Snake.

Phill

The more I find out about how all this works, the less I like the idea of dealing with SA for a SS. I never intended to keep my car stock whether I did an SS conversion or not. If modifying an SS detracts from the value of owning it, I might as well do all the modifications to a stock GT500 myself, since I'll lose the ROI in modifying a SS.

The more I find out about how all this works, the less I like the idea of dealing with SA for a SS. I never intended to keep my car stock whether I did an SS conversion or not. If modifying an SS detracts from the value of owning it, I might as well do all the modifications to a stock GT500 myself, since I'll lose the ROI in modifying a SS.

x2!

At this time it's a pretty big assumption that an owner modified SuperSnake will loose value. I can see it loosing points with MCA when and if they begin including the modern mustangs within their contours judging.

And, if you are only interested in a SuperSnake for ROI, then in my opinion your priorities in Shelby ownership are out of whack. But then my opinion and a buck fifty will get you a bottle of Coke.

At this time it's a pretty big assumption that an owner modified SuperSnake will loose value. I can see it loosing points with MCA when and if they begin including the modern mustangs within their contours judging.

And, if you are only interested in a SuperSnake for ROI, then in my opinion your priorities in Shelby ownership are out of whack. But then my opinion and a buck fifty will get you a bottle of Coke.

Hey they said it not us

Hey they said it not us

Exactly. And that was my primary point. Roger wants to advocate ROI hence my comment, "Live by the sword, die by the sword".

Phill

Archived