TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Getting ready to have Shelby build me a GTS, what to get, not to get?

lbj

Hi all.

My username is lbj.

I have a 2012 Mustang GT in Grabber Blue that I am sending to Shelby American soon.

I'm 57, not an expert at all about building a performance car, this will be my first.

Basically, I am having Shelby American build me a 624HP GTS model. The sky is the limit with options for this build. I am pretty much open to about everything offered.

Members here know way more than me, so I thought to ask a few qustions.

I want the car to be a monster. As I look over the options offered, I have pretty much checked everything on the list. The car will not be on the track ever but will be a street vehicle and I want superb handling, super acceleration and wish it to ride nice and stiff but not overbearly so, so that I am uncomfortable.

I live in Colorado but do not typically drive in lots of heavy stop and go traffic, but it does happen.

Is there anything on the list of options I should avoid so as not to end up driving something I will be uncomfortable with, like driving something rock hard and being bounced around with a kidney jaring feel to the car?

Thanks.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish I could give some advice. I should be putting my deposit down next week and getting mine to LV sometime soon. I dont have the experiance with the major Shelby suspension mods, etc... to be helpful. I look forward to seeing yours done though! I believe most folks so far have gone with a more basic package, which is what I will be doing. Good luck!

1st off Welcome to TS!

I don't see a single item on the list of options that you must stay away from though there are a couple items that many would argue are simply not necessary for max performance. By checking every box you are sure to have a 'One of One' in the GTS! I'm envious.

I recommend contacting Roger if you want solid advice on options. No one knows Shelby's and their performance better than him and he'll shoot you straight for what you want.

lbj,

When selecting options, the key point to consider is, how are you going to use the car? Is it a daily driver, a weekend/car show vehicle? Will you be tracking the car at road course events? These are the questions the sales staff and I routinely ask our customers.

We want to accommodate all of our customer’s wishes but, we want you to be pleased with the final product. Does it do what you intended it to do in the end result? We would suggest you do not overbuild the car.

For example, how you intend to utilize the car would determine, brake and suspension selections. While 624 HP sounds great, our 525 HP configuration is pretty stout and the actual performance gains on the 90+ HP gain are not significant. The lower HP car is a terrific setup. The higher HP application also has a warranty implication.

Give us a call on Tuesday, we will be glad to assist.

Have a safe holiday.

Roger

Thanks for the replies.

I am only going to have a car built like this one time in my life and the time is now or never.

I am worried about overbuilding but I really want a one of kind. However, at the bottom of this post is a major concern of mine prior to the build. Based on Roger's advice though, I may reconsider going from 624HP back down a notch.

However, again, I am only going to do this once in my life as I am 57 years old.

The car won't be on the track but on the street, and my wife tells me I drive like an old lady. Oh well.

I probably will never use the car in a way that utilizes everything placed on the build, but for me, the point is more what the car represents as built, as opposed to if I can make use of everything.

I will probably drive it 3 days a week max but not in the winter very much. Too much sand and pebbles and things used on the roads here in Colorado for road maintenance during snow days.

I kind of shocked Jeremy with everything I want put on this build.

Is there anything on my list that will be a hinderance to handling performance?

Of everything I want Shelby American to do to my car, the best handling setup possible I will definitely will make use of.

Jeremy did explain the voiding of the power train warranty. While I was initially concerned with that, my thinking has evolved to not caring about such until I read Roger's post.

The car will arrive at Shelby American this coming Friday.

It has 300 miles on it.

My main concern is a whine in the transmission at light to moderate acceleration between 2000RPM and 3000RPM in gears 1 through 4. That whine seems kind of high pitched and loud. In 5th and 6th, it's not there.

I assume gears 1 through 4 ride on a common bearing.

I have requested Jeremy and would like anyone else at Shelby American to drive my new 2012 Mustang GT Premium in Grabber Blue and listen to the transmission prior to the build, in case it needs to go to the Ford dealer there in Las Vegas for warranty work on that transmission whine prior to the build.

That whine between 2000RPM and 3000RPM under light acceleration bugs the heck out me, but if it's normal, then I am OK with it.

Hopefully you guys will have an answer for me regarding this transmission thing. Until then, it weighs heavily on my mind and can't help obsess about it right now.

The comment above should show I am a real car guy at heart, always have been.

I saved my money from summer jobs and when I was in 11th grade, I bought my first car, a 1972 BMW 2002 Tii.

It was kind of avant guard at that time to pay 4K for a small import, but it was unsual, no one had one to speak of, and I wanted something unique and uncommon at that time. The only thing that bothered me at that time was the many people who thought it was a Toyota, that used to rankle me in a major way.

I want Shelby American to do with the Shelby GTS you all are going to build me this summer to be something unique, uncommon, outrageous, spellbinding and definitely not run of the mill.

And no one will think it's a Toyota either!!!!

No offense to Toyota owners intended.

I have put down a deposit already and the paperwork is being assembled though not inked yet. But it will be transported starting this Wednesday anyway. The car will arrive at Shelby American on Friday June 1st.

Go nuts!

Uh yeah, you hit the nail on the head.

It's not everyday one wakes up like I did, asks the wife if she was OK if I went to the Ford dealer that afternoon, buy a Mustang GT and ship it to Shelby American.

The conversation lasted all of 2 minutes and she got an excited look on her face and screamed YES!

Hours later we drove home with a 2012 Mustang GT Premium in Grabber Blue from off the lot.

I knew there was a reason I married her.

In fact, she is in las Vegas currently for a pool tournament and will be visiting Shelby American this Monday or Tuesday just to have a look.

Wish I was there but we have 5 animals to care for. Which I am glad to do. They make my life better.

Get everything you want!!! It's your car and you have the right attitude and priorities. I just took delivery of my V6 GTS AT Convertible a few days ago. I've been playing around with it and love the car. I bought the base GTS package because the car will be a daily driver for my wife ... though I seem to be driving it all the time right now. The car handles like it's on rails and brakes like the pavement is fly paper. We drove it to a cruise in last night and it got a lot of looks and questions about the car.

Since the car was a base model AT convertible there is nothing fancy on it other than the GT500 wing I had added before it was delivered to SA. A few people mentioned that they expected a leather interior or more badging to indicate it was a Shelby but everyone, to include the critics of the interior, loved the looks and stance of the car. Many looked at the undercarriage and were amazed at the size of the brakes and overall suspension. Which made one guy ask why I opted for 18" GT4 rims. ??? I didn't opt for 18" rims, I paid for 19" SA GT4 rims. I'll have SA fix that one as soon as possible.

Regardless of the rims the car looks fantastic. We will drive to North Shore over this weekend and get some good pictures to post. In the meantime this is my stable to date. The one in the middle is priceless!!

post-35354-0-69360600-1338062745_thumb.jpg

post-35354-0-69360600-1338062745_thumb.jpg

MustangGT.jpg

Thanks Roger.

I am very impressed with the interest and attention given me by those from Shelby American the last 4 to 5 days.

I had a tech at my dealer drive the car with me and I demostrated the noise. He says it's normal but I would rather have professionals such as yourself and others take a look and tell me it's OK.

If not and we'll have warranty work from a Las vegas Ford dealer remedy the situation before the build.

I put 300 miles on this GT because it's really fun to drive as is, plus I wanted to learn to drive this powerful and lightweight GT. I think the learning curve the last few days will be helpful in the long run.

It takes some getting used to and I really have put it through it's paces.

However, the more I drive it, the more certain flaws inherit in it's design have become evident, most noteably the suspension, especially the rear suspension.

On a positive note, the first thing I noticed wthin the first couple miles during a test drive, was the steering, the electric assist power steering, to be more precise.

I have never driven anything like that and it's wonderful.

I have a 2004 BMW X5 Sport, yet love the feel of the variable electric steering in the Mustang more.

More manufacturers should have this system. Or do they already?

Go nuts!

I look forward to seeing what you build and getting some more ideas. Personally I chose the base GTS (besides saving $) because I intend to make it a fun project car that I can build upon further. I opted to forgo the supercharger because I was spooked by the warranty issue. I'll add one in due time.

I'm with you patentman. My wife loves the car and before we got it I was working on her for 3.73s and a tune. She was all for the upgrade since the GT500 has 3.73s. However, since we've been driving it she thinks the car is just fine the way it is and I'm now in the process of coming up with stories for the need of 3.73s let alone a Procharger.

LBJ

Congratulations on getting your dream car! I think you are in for A LOT of fun! My advice would be to weigh everyone's opinion, but YOU be the judge. If you can afford the option, I say get it because you're probably not going to send it back to SA and I can't see you ever regretting having an option installed. As far as the horsepower, Roger is correct...However 624 gets some serious respect! My biggest piece of advice is the performance...please get familiar with the power gradually. Either power package results in very high performance and it can get away from you if you are not careful. You are in for a fun ride! I find myself just looking and admiring my 350 as much as driving it! They are that great! You will love your GTS!

Yeah, I can see the need to gradually learn about the power and use of it.

I have been driving my new GT with 412HP the last few days gaining practice. Even it is a handful.

I am begining to consider downgrading from 624HP to 525HP, but then again, I don't gave to take advantage of all that extra HP at 624, but would have it if I wished to use it, as in my foot.

Question 1:

What would happen if I downgrade to 525HP but go with the 3.73 or stay with the 624HP but leave the 3.31 rear instead of going 3.73.

I'm a novice with this technical stuff and the effects therein.

Question 2:

When I go with the supercharger, the choices available are black or polished.

Initially I went with polished. If I go with black, will I have a cool 2 tone look under the hood, some black, like the basic engine and some silver?

Opinions?

Maybe my questions here are kind of dumb. But I'm a neophyte, an older full figured neophyte, but a neophyte nonetheless.

I am very appreciative of you all with your interest in my build and making me feel at home.

Not every forum is that way.

I am going with White on my Grabber Blue color. I really wanted the stripes painted on but I am told they don't offer that anymore, just the vinyl ones.

Here are the options as I presented them to Jeremy on Friday.

It's a bit over the top, I admit, but still, take a look:

GTSBuild2.jpg

Hopefully it will end up looking kind of like this:

ShelbyGTS.jpg

Hmmm, that is 2 or 3 members thinking I should downgrade to the 525HP.

I'm really thinking about going down from the 624 to the 525.

The car will really be driven on the street in town and semi rural areas, mostly for fun but occasionally as a daily car.

Is the 525HP version more civilized for roadability with the type of driving I just described?

I'm thinking yes.

Plus I won't void my Ford powertrain warranty.

624HP sounded great initially, but at some point (like now), ya'll are making really good sense to go to the 525HP option.

For sure the 3:73 goes in to replace the factory 3:31.

Here's my new option list reflecting HP change.

GTSBuild3.jpg

I am very appreciative of you all with your interest in my build and making me feel at home.

Not every forum is that way.

I am going with White on my Grabber Blue color. I really wanted the stripes painted on but I am told they don't offer that anymore, just the vinyl ones.

Here are the options as I presented them to Jeremy on Friday.

It's a bit over the top, I admit, but still, take a look:

GTSBuild2.jpg

Hopefully it will end up looking kind of like this:

Going to be a great looking GTS!

Roger

This morning, I am still thinking of downgrading to the 525HP after the discussion in this thread.

There may be times I will be in bumper to bumper traffic. So maybe it makes sense to do that and keep my Ford power train warranty.

But the more I think about it, I want something unique, powerful, great handling but versatile for all kinds of use like daily if I like this car that much, how it behaves in heavy bumper to bumper traffic we all end up in occasionally, as well as taking highway trips here and there.

1) I want the best handling I can get. I will make use of that.

2) I want the best braking possible, I will use that.

3) I want great acceleration but it needs to be a city driver and a highway driver and a great performance vehicle. That will require some compromising. Oh well.

4) I definitely will not street/drag race anyone because, frankly, I don't care what another driver wants with me on the street. At 57 years old just not my style to do so and I want to live for another couple of decades. I'm the only one that needs to be impressed with my Shelby. I will put it though it's paces, be sure of that, but on my own time in my own way that does not involve comparing myself with others.

5) I probably won't rally or road couse my vehicle but it's possible I might change my mind on this part as time goes by.

Next up for changes from my original plan is the rear gear ratio.

I scoured the net for 5 hours last night reading disussions regarding such.

The GT base I have is a 3:31.

I guess most Shelbys end up with 3:73.

After all my research, I am starting to worry that any build I have done with the 3:73 will leave me with a very short 1st gear, shifting constantly and have high engine revolutions on the highway in 5th and 6th gear.

I may take some long highway road trips with this vehicle.

What to do, what to do.

I love the initial build I showed on page 1, looks great, but just how functional for all types of driving conditions will that be?

Then I created another build also shown on page 1 with everything included except downgrading to the 525HP.

Ah geez, this build is becoming more complicated by the minute.

When I first starting putting this build together last week, it seemed so simple, just get everything.

How about a grand compromise and going with the 525HP with the 3:55 rear end and then get everything else Shelby offers in the way of options?

Then again, I could say the heck with the factory warranty, go with the 624HP but civilize it a bit by staying with the 3:31 or may go to the 3:55.

Does anything written above make any sense at all?

I have a billion questions in a phone call tomorrow with SAI.

And here last Friday I thought I had finalized everything. Arg.

BTW, my Mustang GT loads on the transport vehicle tomorrow!

Here is the revised version of the build, I just don't know what rear end gearing I want at this point.

GTSBuild3.jpg

I have the V6, but the trans are the same. Mine has the performance package with the 3:73 gears and you're right, first gear is kind of short in stop and go traffic. However, it starts out great in second if you dont feel like punching through all the gears. As far as the top end, no problems. I attended the 50th Anniversary Bash in Vegas and the cruise, which meant I went from Idaho to LA to Vegas and back to Idaho. All 75+mph. Never felt or sounded like the rpm's were too high and still managed 30+mpg. I highly recommend the 3:73s. Just my opinion though.

Go with what was done to the 07' and 08' Shelby GT/SC. 3:55 and it has the perfect setup for the road. The car is just glued down in the corners and has plenty power to show to those pesky BMW's, Camaros, and Challengers. I never race them, but sure show them what they would be up against, even with my non-supercharged SGT. I only need enough to scare them.

You do need a supercharger though. I get asked at show and shines all the time how much horsepower I have. What do you want to answer? What ever you say is never enough.

A vote for the 3:55 then.

Every fiber of my being is leaning that way for everyday all around use.

It will be interesting to see what SA thinks when I call them tomorrow morning.

Nice to see you committing Recon!! We are driving all over the place in my wife's GTS. She's 5'1" and having problems seeing the end of the hood with the heat extractors. I think she'll get used to it though.

Nice to see you committing Recon!! We are driving all over the place in my wife's GTS. She's 5'1" and having problems seeing the end of the hood with the heat extractors. I think she'll get used to it though.

I finally got the motorcycle sold and now feel comfortable making the purchase. I am sure that a lot of folks on here were doubting if I would take the plunge... hell, I doubted myself at times. But after a year of talk, here we go!

lbj,

Congrats on the build! Can't wait to see it. Where abouts are you in CO? We do have a very active Shelby community here and also quite a few Mustang Clubs in the Denver area and other. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

lbj,

Congrats on the build! Can't wait to see it. Where abouts are you in CO? We do have a very active Shelby community here and also quite a few Mustang Clubs in the Denver area and other. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

I'm in Windsor near Fort Collins and Loveland Colorado.

I will contact you.

I woke up this morning and took a last drive is the new Mustang GT before I took it to the transport truck.

I found that the last 300 plus miles had been a real learning experience.

I was able to safely push the car to it's limits in both acceleration and handling. I have become used to it.

This same thing will happen once I get the new GTS SAI is building for me.

On with the original build... 624HP and the rear 3:73 gear and all the other options shown here...

GTSBuild2.jpg

Archived