TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford Fan Tow Hook Kit Installed

Finally got around to getting my tow hook installed. Thanks to Kevin Patten
photo-126.jpg
photo-124.jpg

For those interested here’s some pics from the install.

Front fascia has to come off.
photo-129.jpg
photo-130.jpg

Getting the bumper to this point is not easy.
photo-128.jpg
photo-127.jpg
photo-125.jpg

These vids are kind of like watching someone scratch a chalkboard but you’ll get the idea of how hard the metal is in these cars.

Finally got around to getting my tow hook installed. Thanks to Kevin Patten

photo-126.jpg

photo-124.jpg

For those interested here’s some pics from the install.

Front fascia has to come off.

photo-129.jpg

photo-130.jpg

Getting the bumper to this point is not easy.

photo-128.jpg

photo-127.jpg

photo-125.jpg

These vids are kind of like watching someone scratch a chalkboard but you’ll get the idea of how hard the metal is in these cars.

What type of bit did you use?

You start with a 1/8" and work your way up in size until you can use a uni-bit which has step sizes on it . Keep checking the hole to make sure it stays centered on the bumper(regular drill bits do NOT make round holes) and follow through with the uni-bit(which does make a round hole). The lower hole(under the bumper) is around 1/2" and the upper needs to be opened up big enough to fit a wrench onto so you can hold on to it while tightening . On Torch40 I used an impact gun to tighten the bolt and then stood on top of the bracket and jumped up/down to show him that sucker was secure and definitly strong enough to tow from. Ford Fan1 has definitely come up with NICE piece - very clean. This was the 3rd one that I have installed and fortunately none of the cars has had to use theirs yet ( maybe they make for a good luck charm at the track ). :shades:

You start with a 1/8" and work your way up in size until you can use a uni-bit which has step sizes on it . Keep checking the hole to make sure it stays centered on the bumper(regular drill bits do NOT make round holes) and follow through with the uni-bit(which does make a round hole). The lower hole(under the bumper) is around 1/2" and the upper needs to be opened up big enough to fit a wrench onto so you can hold on to it while tightening . On Torch40 I used an impact gun to tighten the bolt and then stood on top of the bracket and jumped up/down to show him that sucker was secure and definitly strong enough to tow from. Ford Fan1 has definitely come up with NICE piece - very clean. This was the 3rd one that I have installed and fortunately none of the cars has had to use theirs yet ( maybe they make for a good luck charm at the track ). :shades:

Thanks, but I'm inquiring about the type. I have yet to find a bit that would actually cut/drill through the bumper. I used a cutting disc to make a notch in the top but have not been able to drill thru the bottom of the bumper.

I used industrial grade bits with lots of cutting oil (several & broke a few) as it is very hard material (prbly tempered steel) to drill

The lower hole wasn't too bad, it was the top one that challenged me, but once the pilot hole was drilled the hole saw cut through without much issue

Also I hear after the fact that a low speed high torque drill is part of the key to drilling the hole easier

The drill bits were common ones I had bought at Sears (Craftsman) and the unibit (Irwin) I bought at Orchard Supply Hardware and I use a 1/2" Milwaulkee drill (slower RPM). For the final cleaning up I use a carbide bit on a Makita. Measure twice - cut once.

Really like this tow hook setup, I need to put one on my car to track it, can you tell me where you purchased this setup from. This is not the FRPP hook is it, the mounting bracket looks quite different?

Send a PM to Ford Fan1 on this forum. He is the man who makes the setup. P.S. ( Kerry - send me my comission check :hysterical2: )

Come on by, I've got a fresh 6 barrel of Drop Top on TAP :)

Grabbers event is only a few weekends away

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Kerry, keep working on GT350 style :rockon:

I'm waiting on some measurements from you GT350 guys so I can make it happen :)

What dimensions do you need?

One of you guys from Cali, volunteered to help by use my standard tow hook I sold (to Mike M's buddy with a GT500 at the Bash Car Show) as a starting point to give me back some feedback on the measurements and angle it will require to fit under the bumper of one your GT350's. I know from what I saw it's going to require a different mounting angle and a drop of 1 or 2 additonal inches to clear the GT350's bumper cover. I could then have a prototype built and ship it down for a test fit.

One of you guys from Cali, volunteered to help by use my standard tow hook I sold (to Mike M's buddy with a GT500 at the Bash Car Show) as a starting point to give me back some feedback on the measurements and angle it will require to fit under the bumper of one your GT350's. I know from what I saw it's going to require a different mounting angle and a drop of 1 or 2 additonal inches to clear the GT350's bumper cover. I could then have a prototype built and ship it down for a test fit.

KP has it covered, he knows what you need.

Archived