TEAM SHELBY FORUM

HUH? I thought we were discussing Shelby's, and GT350's in particular.....

Phill

Convert a Boss 302 to a Shelby...... sorry for not being clear.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Call me old fashion...a traditionalist. But I would want Shelby to go back to just making the 350 in white. Anyone can order a SS or GTS in colors undreamed of in 1965-66. White with the blue skunk stripes. The American and Ford racing colors. Besides is does tone down the car (Well maybe a little?} while flying down the interstate. :happy feet: If you want some crazy color scheme...silver and red come to mind...order a Boss!

Call me old fashion...a traditionalist. But I would want Shelby to go back to just making the 350 in white. Anyone can order a SS or GTS in colors undreamed of in 1965-66. White with the blue skunk stripes. The American and Ford racing colors. Besides is does tone down the car (Well maybe a little?} while flying down the interstate. :happy feet: If you want some crazy color scheme...silver and red come to mind...order a Boss!

crazy color scheme, umm, Shelby's came in many colors in the 60's and there is something called to each his own but order a Boss, thats funny

crazy color scheme, umm, Shelby's came in many colors in the 60's and there is something called to each his own but order a Boss, thats funny

I believe those crazy colors were on FORD Shelbys. Not SHELBY Shelbys. As for the 'just order a boss' was put in due to some here who seem to think the Boss engine would be a nice 'option.'

Go IRISH!!

Correct Phil.

If thats the case then add the Boss 302/Shelby upgrade package to the line up. Also have the future 350 owners have the option for the Boss engine to be ordered in thier 350. Or do similiar mods the 5.0 engine to make it a high rever

High reving is where its at.

When I was growing up a guy around town (Daryl Lamb, Monterey CA) had a Rootbeer Brown GT350 fastback with the quarter windows in it ('66?). I'm not positive but I think it had white stripes. Regardless, it was one of THE prettiest cars I'd ever seen and remains in my number 1 top spot to this day.

Did a GT350 ever come in Rootbeer Brown/White? If not, it'd be a color combo to consider IMO. And yes, it was a "true" GT350, not a clone/tribute.

I was assuming Shelby would want to stay with OE factory colors but if they are talking about color changes...Things could get WILD!

Phill

How about the entire 2013 color pallet? White or Black stripes?

Roger

Roger, what you just said is the problem.. FORD's color pallet leaves a lot to be desired and is why the Camaro is beating it in sales! If I had my wish, I'd order a GT350 in Highland Green just like the 68 Shelby's but that is fantasyland

I am waiting to order a 2013 GT350 but I can't even order the car right now until you figure out what colors your offering for the 2013 GT350's and especially what you will allow to do the Convertibles in?? My 2 favorite colors are Blue and Green but I wasn't a fan of the Kona Blue and the Blue replacing it for 2013 Impact Blue I think looks Purple if the sun isn't shining on it. Not a fan of Red and that leaves White, wow that's exciting lol. I would seriously consider a 2013 GT350 Conv. in Black w/ optional hood stripe delete w/ White stripes on lower rockers

You certainly have to do red, and white. If you limit to one blue, I would say the Grabber Blue option is the way to go, buy the Deep Impact Blue is probably more of a color that would appeal to more of those not looking at colors in historical context. The green is certainly a grabber (pun intended), but not one with widespread appeal. If we base it one the GT/CS package as I'd recommended earlier, that would throw out certain colors anyway. Black is always a popular option, and as far as striping goes white works well with all of them, except for the white cars which must have dark blue stripes. Must!

Roger,

Here are my thoughts (and I am looking to buy a new 2013 GT350:

Exterior:

1) Personally, I want a black painted car with NO stripes (I prefer a "sleeper" car).

2) The current front fascia is OK, provided it's setup similar to the Boss 302 with brake ducts. You can remove the fog lights from the grill, put in a Shelby billet grill, and put LED fog lights in the horizontal strips below the brake ducts. The splitter off of the Boss 302 & Laguna Seca is fine. My point is, don't overdo the front (and rear) fascias, similar to the 2011-2012 GT350's.

3) The current GT hood is OK, but it would be good to get ram-air into that space. Is there any way to get a true CAI unit for the intake that passes CARB? If Ford can do it on the GT500, why can't Shelby do it on the GT350?.

4) Badging should be muted and tasteful (i.e. sleeper car).

5) Rear fascia should include dual twin-tip exhaust tips (similar to the GT500) rather than the center two exhausts. If you're standing there with the engine on and open the trunk, your legs will get burned by the hot exhaust air.

6) Spoiler should be somewhat similar to the GT500 w/Gurney flap.

7) On the rear quarter windows, use the replacements from Silver Horse Racing (louvered, but integrated with the window, not glued on top).

Interior

1) Make sure you allow for the Recaro seats (leather). Maybe Shelby can instruct the factory not to embroider RECARO on the area where the snake normally is. The RECARO embroidery is fine o the side seatback bolsters, but not in the neck area.

2) The side pillar gauges are OK - preferably Ford Racing.

Mechanical:

1) Personally, I prefer the Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger, but realize you're contractually obligated to Ford Racing.

2) True CAI that's CARB-legal

3) Ford Racing Adjustable Suspension w/panhard bar and watts-link, upper and lower control arms, camber/caster plates, larger front and rear sway bars, etc.

4) Use 18x10 wheels front and back, preferably lightweight forged aluminum.

5) One piece driveshaft

6) Side exhausts similar to the Boss 302

7) Replace MT-82 transmission T-56 Magnum transmission for S197 Mustangs

8) Replace stock shifter with an MGW shifter

9) Boss 302 radiator, oil cooler, trans oil cooler and torsen rear differential.

10) Boss 302 motor (N/A) or Aluminator S/C motor (for supercharged units)

That's the wish list. It would make more sense for a lot of this to be done at the Flat Rock factory in the beginning and Shelby can still earn a hefty licensing fee, rather than us paying over $35,000 for a post-title package with a bunch of take-off parts that are useless unless you're selling them to body shops or used parts houses. Shelby could still have input and direction on it (just as it does for the GT500). It would save us all money and put more GT350's in the hands of people to use at say $50,000 to $55,000 instead of over $70,000.

That's my 2 cents. Thanks. The Vonz

Roger,

Exterior:

1) Personally, I want a black painted car with NO stripes (I prefer a "sleeper" car).

2) The current front fascia is OK, provided it's setup similar to the Boss 302 with brake ducts. You can remove the fog lights from the grill, put in a Shelby billet grill, and put LED fog lights in the horizontal strips below the brake ducts. The splitter off of the Boss 302 & Laguna Seca is fine. My point is, don't overdo the front (and rear) fascias, similar to the 2011-2012 GT350's.

3) The current GT hood is OK, but it would be good to get ram-air into that space. Is there any way to get a true CAI unit for the intake that passes CARB? If Ford can do it on the GT500, why can't Shelby do it on the GT350?.

4) Badging should be muted and tasteful (i.e. sleeper car).

5) Rear fascia should include dual twin-tip exhaust tips (similar to the GT500) rather than the center two exhausts. If you're standing there with the engine on and open the trunk, your legs will get burned by the hot exhaust air.

6) Spoiler should be somewhat similar to the GT500 w/Gurney flap.

7) On the rear quarter windows, use the replacements from Silver Horse Racing (louvered, but integrated with the window, not glued on top).

Interior

1) Make sure you allow for the Recaro seats (leather). Maybe Shelby can instruct the factory not to embroider RECARO on the area where the snake normally is. The RECARO embroidery is fine o the side seatback bolsters, but not in the neck area.

2) The side pillar gauges are OK - preferably Ford Racing.

Mechanical:

1) Personally, I prefer the Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger, but realize you're contractually obligated to Ford Racing.

2) True CAI that's CARB-legal

3) Ford Racing Adjustable Suspension w/panhard bar and watts-link, upper and lower control arms, camber/caster plates, larger front and rear sway bars, etc.

4) Use 18x10 wheels front and back, preferably lightweight forged aluminum.

5) One piece driveshaft

6) Side exhausts similar to the Boss 302

7) Replace MT-82 transmission T-56 Magnum transmission for S197 Mustangs

8) Replace stock shifter with an MGW shifter

9) Boss 302 radiator, oil cooler, trans oil cooler and torsen rear differential.

10) Boss 302 motor (N/A) or Aluminator S/C motor (for supercharged units)

That's the wish list. It would make more sense for a lot of this to be done at the Flat Rock factory in the beginning and Shelby can still earn a hefty licensing fee, rather than us paying over $35,000 for a post-title package with a bunch of take-off parts that are useless unless you're selling them to body shops or used parts houses. Shelby could still have input and direction on it (just as it does for the GT500). It would save us all money and put more GT350's in the hands of people to use at say $50,000 to $55,000 instead of over $70,000.

That's my 2 cents. Thanks. The Vonz

you sure you didn't forget anything? lol Some of that you realize they cannot do and some can be done by their performance shop and right now its about keeping costs down. With the Boss 302 you are getting an excellent car and for the price nothing in the world can touch it!

Convert a Boss 302 to a Shelby...... sorry for not being clear.

Ah. Got'cha. I misunderstood.

A Boss conversion would be cool but it sure would ruin the value and/or hertige of the Boss 302 moniker!

Phill

<SNIP>

You do realize they come with a Watts Link rear suspension now, right? And you can't mix the two together, it's one of the other.

The Watts link is far superior to a panhard bar for locating the rear axle. If you just race ovals, yeah, I'd prefer a panhard too just for the ablity to put heat in or take heat out of the right rear tire. But for turning both ways or in a straight line, it's Watts Link all the way. Ya ever wonder why your car wants to shoot the left when you bang a gear and rip the tires off? A panhard bar gives you some 'rear stear' when the car squats. A Watts link doesn't. Nor does a watts link act differently on a right vs. left turn. The body articulates on a center piviot point rather than give you a arc one one side like a panhard bar does.

And the GT350 is designed as a TRACK car as opposed to a drag racer, which is why I assume Shelby decided on a Watts Link rear locater over a Panhard bar.

And from what I remember,the GT350 DOES come with the Ford Racing springs, dampners and swaybars already (up until Shelby started marketing their own swaybars). I'm pretty sure it has the Caster/Camber plates from Shelby on it too.

Phill

• 2 weeks later...

I am waiting to order a 2013 GT 350 Convertible and the only changes I thought would be the vents staying in hood for cooling and would love to have the vinyl stripes ass a delete that you can put on latter if you want so you can have no strip's but can have put on to sale later but keep the GT 350 0n the hood .. Maybe a functional butter fly in hood scoop on the 625 hp wich i know will be higher for 2013 but have the upgraded brakes as package on it ..but I want the front and rear to not change or not change drastically and don't you dare change the rear exhaust or it's like a Roush or Saleen and keep the Shelby on the rear... If your going to do side exhaust and diffrent front and rear's do it to your CTS V8 don't ruin the GT 350 by doing a change.. thank you

Roger,

I own 2011 GT350 #48 which was delivered last June. It was fully optioned and has 150 miles on the odometer. IMHO, the price point for the GT350 far exceeded the average buyer's range which had to stifle sales. The same was true for the GT500KR. My guess is the Shelby GT was a money maker for SAI since it was least modified.

I'm terrified to take my GT350 out on the road due to the fear of it getting damaged and also because the ultra-stiff suspension is brutal on California's notorious rough roads. The car is a piece of artwork and belongs in a museum ;-) I've considered getting a used SGT because it could be a daily driver, has unique Shelby attributes, and is affordable. If I were to add a new Shelby to my stables, these three items would be deciding factors. For me, it would have to wear GT350 badging. The OTT stripes are awesome but rocker stripes only would be a good option. Vinyl not painted. A 5.0 remapped to 430hp with an automatic would be well balanced. the GT350 wheels are a must. Perhaps a vented stock hood or some minor mod to make it unique. To lower production cost and retain affordability, drop the side skirts, front and rear fascias but do something unique with trunk lid or spoiler. Performance brake upgrades but Bear $3,500 calipers are not warranted. Adjustable street/track shocks could be cost effective. Some unique interior badging and maybe emdroidery on the headrests or center console. Dealer cost for the SGT package was ~$8k so target $10-12k for a base GT350 and offer all the options too. Make a truly affordable vehicle for the many Shelby enthusiast. There will always be a minority who can afford the SS's but keep sight on the majority. I'd prefer a daily driver versus a bubble wrapped car in storage...

"I've considered getting a used SGT because it could be a daily driver,"

I recommend against this decision. I love my SGT but it is a toy, not a daily driver. Not as bad as a Jeep, but too stiff for everyday.

Great info! My 2011 GT350 is on par with my 65 C-Prepared Mustang race car. SAI should

Crap, touched a wrong bottom....anyways, it needs to be usable as a daily driver not an expensive "toy". Maybe "practical" and "Shelby" don't go together ;-)

Other than the tires, which can be change pretty easily, my Shelby (GT500) is VERY practical. A trip cross-country is not out of the question.

The primary reason I don't drive it 365 days a year is due to the Mag. Chloride they put on the roads here in CO during the winter. Tires can be changed and folks with a lot less car change fo winter tires on a regular basis.

But salt? That's a whole 'nuther story.

Phill

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to read and respond to this thread. We are still monitoring this thread. The management team has weekly product planning meeting to discuss our current and future product line. All of your responses are very helpful.

Roger

Keep it simple, focus on performance vs. appearance but with enough styling that there no question its a Shelby. Call it anything you like, put it any color you want, as long as its a Shelby.

I always liked the rendering Blip did:

post-24566-0-66045200-1337978943_thumb.jpg

post-24566-0-66045200-1337978943_thumb.jpg

Wow, how did I miss this thread??

Roger, its great that you are reaching out, Thanks

I may differ a bit from others her but, I think, if you can keep the cost down and the production on time, you can sell a lot of cars. Now, that may not be the goal.

1. Stay true to the Shelby heritage. Most of the cars being naturally aspirated. Minumum body modifications.

2. Do not use the Boss 302. Sure, use the heads, have someone develope a Shelby intake that can be offered to all 5.0 buyers through SPP. Have Gill turn some majic, plenty of power to be had

3. Remove weight, work toward the 50/50 front rear weight distribution as best as possible.

4. NO drilled rotors! Brake cooling on the front, not needed on the rear but, not a bad thing either

5. Wheels look good but, need less unsprung weight

6. Color choice is good but, I cant see a gotta have it Green GT350, too much in your face.

7. No stripe delete! You want a 350, you get a 350

8. Yes, Please, please please, an R model in the spirit of the original. Something a guy can take and run SCCA, World Cup, Nasa or Grand Am with. Screw the collectors :)

One last suggestion, elimintate the option for a a V8 GTS, The GTS is a great choice for entry level but, a V8 GTS is in the price area where the Base GT350 should be.

Hi Roger, I own a 65 tribute. Not that I would be able to afford one, but I do think some these ideas are good ones. I would go with side or rear exiting exhaust ( not in the center ). Functional front and rear brake ducts. I do think the Shelby GT hoods scoops would be better, but no rivets/screws holding them on. No Shelby letters on the back panel, just the GT 350 Badge. Keep the same GT 350 rims as in the previous years.Shelby dash pod for the tack and oil press and get rid of the piller pod. Do not use the newer GT 500 style nose. Simple stereo with ipod and bluetooth. No Nav touchscreen crap! Make the rear seats fold down. I think every new owner should get a die cast replica of their car.Sport seats. Keep offering museum deliveries if are not doing that now. Jus my .02 cents.

Hi Roger, I own a 65 tribute. Not that I would be able to afford one, but I do think some these ideas are good ones. I would go with side or rear exiting exhaust ( not in the center ). Functional front and rear brake ducts. I do think the Shelby GT hoods scoops would be better, but no rivets/screws holding them on. No Shelby letters on the back panel, just the GT 350 Badge. Keep the same GT 350 rims as in the previous years.Shelby dash pod for the tack and oil press and get rid of the piller pod. Do not use the newer GT 500 style nose. Simple stereo with ipod and bluetooth. No Nav touchscreen crap! Make the rear seats fold down. I think every new owner should get a die cast replica of their car.Sport seats. Keep offering museum deliveries if are not doing that now. Jus my .02 cents.

good ideas

Be sweet if SA could provide us some Rendings of what the 2013 GT350 could look like :rockon:

"I've considered getting a used SGT because it could be a daily driver,"

I recommend against this decision. I love my SGT but it is a toy, not a daily driver. Not as bad as a Jeep, but too stiff for everyday.

the SGT in stock form is a great daily driver;......tokico d spec adjustable shocks and struts took care of any too stiff for everyday issues.....

in fact, we took it to the next level.....4 snow tires and she goes all year round......my wife says its better in the snow than her escape......

she is the daily driver.

• 2 weeks later...

First, when is the 2013 GT350 going to become available ? I can't get ANY INFO when, or if, one is actually going to be produced !!

Second, how about adding as an option an exact copy of the old Shelby 10 spoke wheels ? (In my humble opinion, the most beautiful wheels that have ever been on a car !!)

Third, have as an option a supercharger. ON the basic 5.0, do some tweaking to get more torque and horsepower.

Four, basic color white with blue stripes. Offer perhaps 2 0r 3 other colors at a small additional charge, along with an optional stripe color with a small additional charge.

Five, keep the cost far below the cost of a GT500. Why buy a GT350 for more $$$$$$$$$ than a GT 500 ? ( A loaded 2013 Stage 3 Roush is low 60's. Why not let that be your target ?)

Bear in mind, my opinions and $1, will get you a Coke out of a cheap machine !!!

We have finalized the design and content for the 2013 model. Keep watching this topic for information next week.

Roger

Good deal, thanks Roger.

I've asked this question a few times and I figure it can't hurt to ask again..........GT350R ?

Archived