TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Grill-less anxiety

carman

Considering a 2013 Shelby GT500. The engine and other features seem fantastic. The lack of grill has given me some pause as I would at times be driving on interstates w/trucks kicking up debris. I can't help but think that Ford has considered this but on the other hand debris puncturing a cooler wouldn't be a warranty item, so I'm not sure. Several threads have talked about an aftermarket solution but you shouldn't need an aftermarket solution on a new $60k car.

Appreciate any thoughts/comments on this. Thanks.

Considering a 2013 Shelby GT500. The engine and other features seem fantastic. The lack of grill has given me some pause as I would at times be driving on interstates w/trucks kicking up debris. I can't help but think that Ford has considered this but on the other hand debris puncturing a cooler wouldn't be a warranty item, so I'm not sure. Several threads have talked about an aftermarket solution but you shouldn't need an aftermarket solution on a new $60k car.

Appreciate any thoughts/comments on this. Thanks.

I can't recall ever having sustained damage to a grill that would have broken a cooler or radiator. Sure it helps keep out some of the bugs, but it seems like in my experience more heavy debri hits the windsheild then the grill area.

That being said, you do have a good point. If something were to come through the open grill and damage the radiator or cooler out on the highway in the middle of nowhere, what would be your options?

Fair concern....

The grill on my 2012 GT500 is pretty open and only made of plastic, so I doubt it would stop much of anything anyway.

My 2008 GT/CS has a completely open lower grill and with 25,000 miles on it now, plenty of stuff has hit the radiator and trans cooler behind the opening. I've got some dented fins here and there, but nothing more serious than that.

We had a 1" x 3/4" nut clip puncture the intercooler on our 03 Cobra luckily it was pretty high up and a lot of fluid didn't leak out. We got a Gords Ford Stainless grill and intercooler for it. I am not sure if they are even in business, they were out of BC Canada.

But mounting a Stainless mesh shouldn't be too hard, have it powdercoated black and you couldn't even see it with out looking for it. my 2 Cents

Any ideas here on how to keep the bugs and other stuff off of the radiator cores - other than cleaning them off after the fact? Anyone make some type of black screen that could be mounted behind the grill opening?

Be aware that a bug screen reduces air flow by 25%.

Would you put a radiator in your car that has 25% less cooling area?

I wouldn't,

Phill

My understanding is the lack off a grille was to aid in engine cooling. For day to day commuting adding a grille will most likely not effect the ability to cool the engine. Now if any sustained performance driving is expected a would stick with the open grille.

All SGT's, Hertz and California Specials came with no grille protecting the lower intake directly infront of the AC condenser or intercooler for those who are supercharged. Many have added a bullit grille to the area just for the concern you have here but in my 3.5 years and 30K miles I have recieved no damage to this area during my daily commute with the exception of when I was caught in a hail storm and chunks of hail smashed up the condenser pretty good but not to the point of failure. Luckily the condenser was replace by insurance.

debris puncturing a cooler wouldn't be a warranty item

I've asked a couple of insurance companies about this scenario and they said they would cover such a situation. As far as being stranded, not sure if the GT500 has any road assistance, 'coz I've never owned one yet. I'll find out when I see the owner's manual, or I guess the question could be googled. I know with my Vette road assistance is available, and it has run-flats, but if you're driving through east bumfugg of course you risk being stranded no matter what.

This is why I didn't buy a convertible. If a wheel fell off a passenger jet, it could KILL me!

If something hits the radiator and breaks it, then it would have broken the grille. Either way, you would be calling your insurance guy. My advice is to not worry so much and -enjoy the car-. The lack of a grille is because the car kicks so much ass, the grille got in the way. Ford was forced to leave off the grille due to excessive kick ass. That kicks ass.

This is why I didn't buy a convertible. If a wheel fell off a passenger jet, it could KILL me!

If something hits the radiator and breaks it, then it would have broken the grille. Either way, you would be calling your insurance guy. My advice is to not worry so much and -enjoy the car-. The lack of a grille is because the car kicks so much ass, the grille got in the way. Ford was forced to leave off the grille due to excessive kick ass. That kicks ass.

Best quote Ive read in a while. +1

Archived