TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Why is it......

ViperNC

Everytime I call Shelby Performance Parts and ask a specific question about a product they sell, no one on the other end of the phone has any idea about what they are selling except for the price? I can call any other resource that sells similar products and speak to someone who actually knows their product and can give technical specs and advice. Just got off the phone with another SPP rep who could not answer a simple question regarding stock sway bar diameter for a 2009 GT500 vs the "upgrade" they are selling:

Me: Do you happen to have any information regarding the diameter of the stock sway bars?

Rep: No......

Me: ..............................(waiting for further comment from rep)........................... So you don't have any information to help guide me in making an educated decision?

Rep: No..... sorry.

Me: Could you transfer me to a technical support rep who could answer my question?

Rep: We don't have anyone who knows that info.

Me: Really?

Rep: Really.

Me: So you are selling products of which you know little about.

Rep: silence.......... (clearly annoyed at my statement)

Me: Maybe you should take the time to learn. Thanks anyway. Have a good day.

Afterwards, I had a DETAILED conversation with the guys at BMR who not only had recomendations on upgraded setup, but knew all aspects of why their product would perform better than stock. The BMR rep spent over 15 minutes with me on the phone and I made a large order soon thereafter. You would think Shelby would train their people to be knowledgable and helpful. Good help is hard to find I guess.....

I've had the same conversation. They really need someone to answer such questions and tell you why their part is superior to the stock part or what will fit your car and what won't work properly. Basic, simple business practice.

Many I know have looked at the brake packages from Shelby American and can never get a straight answer regarding which wheel the brakes fit or won't fit - especially the Shelby Wheel Co. wheels. I could give other examples but let's leave it at that for now.

Maybe the folks who work there / answer the phone only really handle the minimal inventory, stocking and shipping to support the website.

It happened to me a couple of times...they dont know what they are selling...........The worst story was when I ordered last November front and rear brake rotors and the heat exchanger. The website advise that it would take 4-6 weeks. I started asking to one of the rep when it got the 4th week and he told me that I had to wait 6 weeks. I insisted and asked him again if I could know an ETA, he kept saying you have to wait 6 weeks. This same situation was around 4 times during from the 4th week and 6th week. So at the end of January I was so upset with the same f***** answer that the rep noticed and he sent me the tracking number 2 minutes later. The heat exchanger was delivered at begininging of December (month and half earlier) to another warehouse due they didnt include the Suite # in the shipping address.....I was lucky that they still had it!

Is this the kind of service that we deserve? Or do we have to live with?

Is this the kind of service that we deserve? Or do we have to live with?

Nope, great thing about the internet is you get to shop around, real time, and find the best price.

I shouldn't have to call one of two people to get the better shipping price. I'm online shopping!!!

I should also be able to talk to someone that knows the tech specs of the item I'm interested in. Sometimes people act like SPP branded parts hold secret launch codes. If you want to keep trade secrets at least have a "cheat sheet" available for the people you have to call so they can talk about it.

I have, and will continue, to buy some things from SPP but will buy major items elsewhere.

Sorry if this seems like a bash, it isn't. Just honest observations of my experiences.

Called last week to ask about the GT500 KR tires that are on the site. Was told they don't stock tires, don't have any tires. Asked if they know for certain that the tires listed on their site for purchase is not in their inventory. Never stocked tires, we don't do tires.

Ok, if you don't stock tires, never had any tires for sale, how come they are on the site? Maybe they should be removed so people don't order stuff they don't have.

Guest staff2

Hi ViperNC,

You spoke with me regarding the size of the stock sway bars. Unfortunately since the GT500 is built by Ford Motor Company I did not have the information on their stock parts. However, a simple internet search showed me that the stock GT500 Front sway bar is 34mm thick and the rear is 24mm thick. Without knowing Ford’s stock sway bar size I did inform you that ours are an upgrade due to the polyurethane bushings and heavy duty hardware as found in the product description on our site:

Description

Shelby American's Handling Pack was designed to add stiffness to your suspension to prevent excessive body roll often associated with factory original equipment. Our handling pack will allow your Shelby or Mustang to handle in a more precise and predictable manner.

Our handling kit includes heavy duty polyurethane bushings along with heavy duty hardware. Both bars are powder coated in Shelby Racing Blue and marked "Shelby" to insure that you're getting genuine Shelby equipment. The front bar offers three different settings: Soft, street or firm.

Applications:

2005-2012 Shelby and Ford Mustangs.

Kit Includes:

Shelby front bar: S7M-5482-C (not sold separately).

Shelby rear bar: S7M-5A772-C (not sold separately).

All necessary bushings and hardware.

Bar Specifications:

Front: 1-3/8" or 35mm

Rear: 15/16" or 24mm

We try our best to be knowledgeable in the parts we sell but because we are adding so many parts so quickly it can be tough for a group of three phone reps to learn all the specific details. Many times we have to call the manufacturers of our parts or ask our R&D department questions and get back to the customer. We continue to strive everyday to provide the most accurate and up to date information about our parts to our customers.

Kameron Hymer

KameronH@ShelbyAmerican.com

(702) 405-3500

SPP Customer Service

Former KR, Super Snake and 40th Anniversary line tech

Hi ViperNC,

You spoke with me regarding the size of the stock sway bars. Unfortunately since the GT500 is built by Ford Motor Company I did not have the information on their stock parts. However, a simple internet search showed me that the stock GT500 Front sway bar is 34mm thick and the rear is 24mm thick. Without knowing Ford’s stock sway bar size I did inform you that ours are an upgrade due to the polyurethane bushings and heavy duty hardware as found in the product description on our site:

Description

Shelby American's Handling Pack was designed to add stiffness to your suspension to prevent excessive body roll often associated with factory original equipment. Our handling pack will allow your Shelby or Mustang to handle in a more precise and predictable manner.

Our handling kit includes heavy duty polyurethane bushings along with heavy duty hardware. Both bars are powder coated in Shelby Racing Blue and marked "Shelby" to insure that you're getting genuine Shelby equipment. The front bar offers three different settings: Soft, street or firm.

Applications:

2005-2012 Shelby and Ford Mustangs.

Kit Includes:

Shelby front bar: S7M-5482-C (not sold separately).

Shelby rear bar: S7M-5A772-C (not sold separately).

All necessary bushings and hardware.

Bar Specifications:

Front: 1-3/8" or 35mm

Rear: 15/16" or 24mm

We try our best to be knowledgeable in the parts we sell but because we are adding so many parts so quickly it can be tough for a group of three phone reps to learn all the specific details. Many times we have to call the manufacturers of our parts or ask our R&D department questions and get back to the customer. We continue to strive everyday to provide the most accurate and up to date information about our parts to our customers.

Kameron Hymer

KameronH@ShelbyAmerican.com

(702) 405-3500

SPP Customer Service

Former KR, Super Snake and 40th Anniversary line tech

I have spoken and dealt with Kameron ten to twenty times and it has always been great, the people at SPP share our passion and always try but make mistakes like everyone else ... work with them and any issues that occur are usually dealt with quickly.

Just my .02

• 4 weeks later...

I hate to bring this up again , but what the hell !!!! I asked over a year ago, there are parts on there web site for sale ... THEY NO LONGER CARRY !!!! They are still there, and the site has never been cleaned up.. YET there are people looking for jobs HELLO !!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I suspect that SPP may be understaffed, which could account for the less than satisfactory service some receive. For some reason, I haven’t had much luck in getting questions answered by e-mail, so I end up buying parts elsewhere. I sent an e-mail to SSP 4/30; didn’t receive a reply; sent a follow up 5/24; still haven’t received a reply, so I’ll go elsewhere.

Ya just gotta talk to the right people.

I suspect that SPP may be understaffed, which could account for the less than satisfactory service some receive. For some reason, I haven’t had much luck in getting questions answered by e-mail, so I end up buying parts elsewhere. I sent an e-mail to SSP 4/30; didn’t receive a reply; sent a follow up 5/24; still haven’t received a reply, so I’ll go elsewhere.

I am sorry that you did not get a reply. We have hired another person to take care of emails. We value your buisness and your opinions and will always try to improve in places that need improvement.

Sharon

"Ya just gotta talk to the right people."

no, that's the biggest bunch of bu11shit i've heard so far. their staff should be trained up enough to answer basic questions about the products they sell and the benefit they provide.

this is simply the cost of doing business for a company who sees themselves as experts in the industry. i like the shelby brand as much as anybody, but sometimes the arrogance to incompetence ratio off the charts.

Wow.

While I agree that you should not have to track down and 'talk to the right people' when looking for a answer to a question about a part sold by SPP but if I understand your last comment correctly, referring to SPP and/or SA as arrogant and incompetent is uncalled for.

"Ya just gotta talk to the right people."

no, that's the biggest bunch of bu11shit i've heard so far. their staff should be trained up enough to answer basic questions about the products they sell and the benefit they provide.

this is simply the cost of doing business for a company who sees themselves as experts in the industry. i like the shelby brand as much as anybody, but sometimes the arrogance to incompetence ratio off the charts.

Again sorry I could not help you, if you have a question in the future that you feel that the phone guys have not answered correctly plesae feel free to send the question to myself at sharone@shelbyamerican.com or robertl@shelbyamerican.com so that we can find the answers and make sure to get you what you need or you can call 702-405-3500 and ask for my self.

Sharon

Everytime I call Shelby Performance Parts and ask a specific question about a product they sell, no one on the other end of the phone has any idea about what they are selling except for the price? I can call any other resource that sells similar products and speak to someone who actually knows their product and can give technical specs and advice. Just got off the phone with another SPP rep who could not answer a simple question regarding stock sway bar diameter for a 2009 GT500 vs the "upgrade" they are selling:

Me: Do you happen to have any information regarding the diameter of the stock sway bars?

Rep: No......

Me: ..............................(waiting for further comment from rep)........................... So you don't have any information to help guide me in making an educated decision?

Rep: No..... sorry.

Me: Could you transfer me to a technical support rep who could answer my question?

Rep: We don't have anyone who knows that info.

Me: Really?

Rep: Really.

Me: So you are selling products of which you know little about.

Rep: silence.......... (clearly annoyed at my statement)

Me: Maybe you should take the time to learn. Thanks anyway. Have a good day.

Afterwards, I had a DETAILED conversation with the guys at BMR who not only had recomendations on upgraded setup, but knew all aspects of why their product would perform better than stock. The BMR rep spent over 15 minutes with me on the phone and I made a large order soon thereafter. You would think Shelby would train their people to be knowledgable and helpful. Good help is hard to find I guess.....

Agreed really crappy service

Agreed really crappy service

We will definitely look into all these issues. Sometimes it is hard for the phone guys to now all 3,000 items that we sell and learn all the new items as they come in. However we can make improvements. We will be looking into all these issues and see what improvements we can make. We always want to better improve the service and make sure the customer gets the answers that they need from us. Or we can lead them in the correct direction if we can't answer the question.

Sharon

Although I understand how frustrating it can be when you do not get the right answer...I do not feel it is right to be rude to anybody working at Shelby Performance Parts.

There is room for improvement? Just say it in a positive manner, it will make everyone feel good about it. Including you.

To be fair, we should also consider the good service SPP provides.

I have never received any damaged part (although the parts travel overseas to reach me), the packaging is outstanding.

I once had a factory defect part and I got it replaced for free, including shipping (overseas!).

I have never had an error in the orders I placed.

Most of the time my orders are received in a very short time after my orders are Emailed.

etc...

Currently I am waiting for an answer to one Email, I know it sometime takes a while, but I do not mind:

SPP is one of my favorite toy store, I forgive the little mistakes very easily because SPP brings me much fun and pleasure!

Relax! :beerchug:

PS: I am not writing this to get a discount on my next order :hysterical:

Archived