TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Kona Boss in "LS" + Trim

tony356

I love it I think the white grill and the white spoiler look killer. I wonder what the front spolier would look like if it was painted white as well?

My GB Boss has left area 51 and is back at Ford to get restriped it should be here within a few weeks I can't wait to start doing the Mods. I already bought the Shelby/Revan radiator and the MGW shifter will soon be ordered. Thanks for all the tips I have learned a lot from your posts.

I love it I think the white grill and the white spoiler look killer. I wonder what the front spolier would look like if it was painted white as well?

My GB Boss has left area 51 and is back at Ford to get restriped it should be here within a few weeks I can't wait to start doing the Mods. I already bought the Shelby/Revan radiator and the MGW shifter will soon be ordered. Thanks for all the tips I have learned a lot from your posts.

Do not order the shifter. Not needed. This gearbox and shifter are tremendous. This is not your regular gt or even the 500 shifter. It's much better.

I thought all the guys at the Boss302forum highly suggest the MGW shifter? I see you replaced your grill with the open grill did that solve the overheating issue on the 12's? Has anybody put the Shelby/Revan radiator in their cars yet? I thought it was just a good idea since I put it and the upgraded heat exchanger in my SGT vert I noticed a major difference.

Looking sharp. I'm happy to see your Boss out on the track!

The white is definately contrasting on Kona. If your not convinced on the entire white painted grille, consider painting the inside section of the grille black to match the LS cars exactly.

Do you have any plans to paint the mirror tops and rims insets white too? How about the LS faux gas cap? That would really confuse some folks out there, kind of like the 1 of 1 Grabber Blue LS auction of at Barrett-Jackson.

I thought all the guys at the Boss302forum highly suggest the MGW shifter? I see you replaced your grill with the open grill did that solve the overheating issue on the 12's? Has anybody put the Shelby/Revan radiator in their cars yet? I thought it was just a good idea since I put it and the upgraded heat exchanger in my SGT vert I noticed a major difference.

Grill did seem to make a difference but it was only about 80 ambient. I did flog the car pretty good and the needle never moved. So far so good. Will know more when I get the car to the glen later this summer.

Looking sharp. I'm happy to see your Boss out on the track!

The white is definately contrasting on Kona. If your not convinced on the entire white painted grille, consider painting the inside section of the grille black to match the LS cars exactly.

Do you have any plans to paint the mirror tops and rims insets white too? How about the LS faux gas cap? That would really confuse some folks out there, kind of like the 1 of 1 Grabber Blue LS auction of at Barrett-Jackson.

I like your grill idea. Would look great. No plans on any other visual changes.

I'd bet if you black out the grille center nobody would even noitce the grille change with the foglight opened up.

I'm kind of glad you plan to keep the rims and mirrors as they are now. Even though it would be closer to a true LS look, the extra white will really standout, maybe even too much.

I'd be temped to add the LS faux gas cap insert though. Would be cool if you could get one that changed the red track outline to white (or maybe a blue).

Enjoy your very cool Kona Boss!

Coming from the SGT w/Hurst Shifter, the BOSS 302 one isn't going to cut it for me... While it's not a "bad shifter", I guarantee you will either miss 3rd Gear on the upshift from 2nd... Or accidentally put it into 3rd when you are downshifting from 6th... Just sayin' And when all the dust settles from the trade-in, financing and insurance changes, I will have an MGW on order...

Not sure why you need to upgrade the radiator, as the BOSS does come with an "upgraded" one already... Do something with the fog light inserts and everything should be OK... I've been toying with getting a grill from a 2012 White BOSS, as the grill itself will be Black, but the surround will be in White... Not sure about the LS Spoiler and Splitter??? But I will be getting the LS Wheel from FRPP when the time comes... What brand and size tires did you put on???

And I absolutely LOVE the lowered stance with the different springs, etc... Maybe a project for next Winter :spend: But for now, I am going to enjoy the :peelout: every chance I get...

Coming from the SGT w/Hurst Shifter, the BOSS 302 one isn't going to cut it for me... While it's not a "bad shifter", I guarantee you will either miss 3rd Gear on the upshift from 2nd... Or accidentally put it into 3rd when you are downshifting from 6th... Just sayin' And when all the dust settles from the trade-in, financing and insurance changes, I will have an MGW on order...

I disagree that anyone with any track experience would shift from 2nd to 5th. There is significant change in throw distance and pressure between 3rd and 5th.

Exactly what tracks do you run that will require you to downshift from 6th to 5th? Salt flats? Texas mile? Leman? Surely not a regular road course...... :)

In my SGT I usually stay in 3rd unless its a bunch of tight corners then 2nd and if there is a long straight away then 4th. I can't wait to see how much different the Boss is then the SGT/SC on the road coarse.

I think I might miss the supercharged feeling in the straightaways.

I disagree that anyone with any track experience would shift from 2nd to 5th. There is significant change in throw distance and pressure between 3rd and 5th.

Exactly what tracks do you run that will require you to downshift from 6th to 5th? Salt flats? Texas mile? Leman? Surely not a regular road course...... :)

Never said anything about going from 2nd to 5th? But have made several missed simple downshifts cruising on the highway going from 6th into 3rd, instead of 5th when going to pass a long line of cars...

And both me and another former SGT owner (also picking up a '12 BOSS next weekend) have had issues getting the shifter into 3rd Gear at 7,000+ RPM... Just sayin'

Seems like the OEM shifter in the BOSS has a different "feel" depending on which gear you are trying to find and how hard you are driving the car when you make the shift... Whereas, in the SGT, the notchy feel of the Hurst was uniform regardless of what gear you were in and what gear you want to be in... But actually seemed easier to drive the harder you pushed the car...

And this comes from 5 years of spirited driving on KS Speedway, Heartland Park Topeka, Hallett, KCIR Dragstrip, Las Vegas (Inside & Outside Road Courses), Ford Proving Grounds and finally Spring Mountain at the 50th Bash...

Mostly 3rd gear road courses, with the occasional 2nd gear tight corner or 4th gear straightaway... But with different gearing (both in the transmission and the rear end) and a 7,500 RPM red line, the BOSS will be a whole different driving experience out on the track when I finally get it dialed-in to me and my driving style...

Not to mention, I also swapped out the OEM shifter for a similar Hurst one in my wife's 2006 Mustang V-6 when she had it as her daily driver....

So all I'm saying is that it takes a LOT more thinking about what gear I'm in and what gear I want to be in than it ever did in the 30,000 miles I drove my SGT over the past 5 years... Including driving it 3,500 miles out & back to the 50th while towing a 1,500# trailer thru the Rockies during a light snow...

Oh, and with only 325 HP and a 92 octane track tune, I usually run in the Advanced Group on these familiar tracks... And that was BEFORE the Brembo upgrade and installing the 4.10's in the rear end :surrender:

In my SGT I usually stay in 3rd unless its a bunch of tight corners then 2nd and if there is a long straight away then 4th. I can't wait to see how much different the Boss is then the SGT/SC on the road coarse.

I think I might miss the supercharged feeling in the straightaways.

Once the Brembos and 4.10's were installed, the N/A 4.6L just wasn't enough anymore for me at the track... Had been seriously contemplating adding the Whipple or E-Force for a long while... But I wasn't real confident in pushing my 30,000 mile stock block over 500 HP (ref Adam, Wicked, et all)... And it really didn't make $$$ sense to do the 400-450 HP setups (non-intercooled)... So that is why I switched to the BOSS... Can't wait to get it out on the track this Summer :peelout:

I love the look. Everytime I come here, I get mad because I dont have one. I want a Kona '12 Boss. I need to see how I can make this happen!!

That's what the "other" SGT owner in my previous post is taking delivery of next week... Going to look SWEET with his Kona Blue and my Race Red out on the track together :camera:

Once the Brembos and 4.10's were installed, the N/A 4.6L just wasn't enough anymore for me at the track... Had been seriously contemplating adding the Whipple or E-Force for a long while... But I wasn't real confident in pushing my 30,000 mile stock block over 500 HP (ref Adam, Wicked, et all)... And it really didn't make $$$ sense to do the 400-450 HP setups (non-intercooled)... So that is why I switched to the BOSS... Can't wait to get it out on the track this Summer :peelout:

Did Wicked blow up his 4.6L I must have missed that thread? I know Jeff did but he had a Paxton.....I feel 100% confident that I will get at least 100,000 miles out of my engine with most likely 40% of that time on the road course. I am at 20,500 miles now and my engine feels as strong as the day I got the car although I have only used Royal Purple and change the oil every 2,000 miles so that might help me in the long run.......I hope so. If I do blow my 4.6 then the Terminator will be transplanted in my beast.

Hope you can make it to Tulsa this summer as I will be there hopefully with the Boss if not the Boss then the SGT it just all depends on when I take delivery of the Boss.

Did Wicked blow up his 4.6L I must have missed that thread? I know Jeff did but he had a Paxton.....I feel 100% confident that I will get at least 100,000 miles out of my engine with most likely 40% of that time on the road course. I am at 20,500 miles now and my engine feels as strong as the day I got the car although I have only used Royal Purple and change the oil every 2,000 miles so that might help me in the long run.......I hope so. If I do blow my 4.6 then the Terminator will be transplanted in my beast.

Hope you can make it to Tulsa this summer as I will be there hopefully with the Boss if not the Boss then the SGT it just all depends on when I take delivery of the Boss.

Mid-America is always a crap shoot for me because of the busy Father's Day Weekend... Usually I can make the Wed, Thu or Fri track stuff... But have only been able to make the Sat & Sun portions in 2009, since it was rescheduled from Father's Day due to the LPGA event being hosted in Tulsa that same weekend... Have always wanted to drive Hallett "backwards" on Saturday, when everyone else is out at the Drag Strip... Will probably be a last-minute decision based on the weather and my work schedule... Will let you know if I can make it... Glad you are able to keep your SGT... But I'm sure you are going to enjoy the BOSS just as much, if not more :worship:

That's what the "other" SGT owner in my previous post is taking delivery of next week... Going to look SWEET with his Kona Blue and my Race Red out on the track together :camera:

I see your in Kansas City. You going to Shelbyfest? I will be there Friday evening and Saturday. Would love to chat with you

I see your in Kansas City. You going to Shelbyfest? I will be there Friday evening and Saturday. Would love to chat with you

Will be there from 3pm on Fri thru 3pm on Sun... I am the one serving the Pancake Breakfast during the Car Show Registration on Sat AM... Will be set up in front of Wings-A-Blazin' right there on 4th Street... Stop by and say "HI"...

Will be there from 3pm on Fri thru 3pm on Sun... I am the one serving the Pancake Breakfast during the Car Show Registration on Sat AM... Will be set up in front of Wings-A-Blazin' right there on 4th Street... Stop by and say "HI"...

Will do!!

Tony, My son would kill me.

Archived