TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Torsen rearend info

NordicShelby

Very educational, good conversational piece.

Thanks Swede.

I thought that most people like myself had no idea what the Torsen differental really was. I stumbled upon this info in a Corvette Forum asking what the differental really was.

Is it possible to upgrade the limited slip diff that we have to the Torsen diff? Cost prohibitive?

Ford Racing Parts lists them for around $1,000... And YES, I do believe you can switch out the units from the standard clutch packs...

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=12944

Ford Racing Parts lists them for around $1,000... And YES, I do believe you can switch out the units from the standard clutch packs...

http://www.fordracin...tKeyField=12944

I thought I saw those but was not sure if it was that easy to upgrade....is this a for sure thing and would you do it to an SGT?

I thought I saw those but was not sure if it was that easy to upgrade....is this a for sure thing and would you do it to an SGT?

Can't say if I would do it on a stock SGT? Not sure if it would make any difference with only 325 HP and stock width tires? But there is one on my 444 HP BOSS with 285's on the rear...

From what I have heard, the TorSen is more suited to the road courses... Whereas the LS is better for the drag strip and straightline acceleration events...

Not an "expert" on differentials, but that is my story and I'm sticking to it...

Can't say if I would do it on a stock SGT? Not sure if it would make any difference with only 325 HP and stock width tires? But there is one on my 444 HP BOSS with 285's on the rear...

From what I have heard, the TorSen is more suited to the road courses... Whereas the LS is better for the drag strip and straightline acceleration events...

Not an "expert" on differentials, but that is my story and I'm sticking to it...

It's on MY shopping list. It's not just that it's a better performer, but also far more durable.

Jer

I ordered my Boss with both options even though I have a set of 2012 leather GT500 Recaros because I wanted this rearend. I may even take out the cloth recaros in my future Boss and put in the Leather ones just cause leather feels so much softer in the corners.....lol

• 1 year later...

Would it do any harm to add friction modifier to the torsen diff? The rear seals went out and in the Boss supplement manual it stated to add 5 ounces of friction modifier so it was added. Should we drain the fluid and add new fluid without friction modifier?

Archived