TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GTS Superchargers

drucando

To supercharge... or not to supercharge...

Pros: 475 HP out of a V6 with up to 30mpg is kinda awsome (according to me).

Cons:

-- Voiding the warranty

-- May not be "legal" in all 50 States because of emission inspections. (Procharger says that they are working on making it 50 State compliant asap.)

-- Cost = ~$6K to have it installed by a local shop or ~$9K to have it installed by Shelby.

I'm sure having SA do the Procharger would add to the value later on in life but I'm having a hard time justifying a 50% mark up in a name for EXACTLY the same product. I shop around for the best price on my Mustang and I'm convinced no one does a suspension upgrade and tune better than SA for the price but the prices for add on's are outrageous.

I asked how much it would cost for the installation of 3.73s at SA. After the gears (FRPP), tuner (Bama), and a run on their dyno to tweak the car it all came to $1975. It costs $600 for the gears (FRPP), the install kit, and the tuner (Bama) through American Muscle and $500 to install around Hawaii; which is expensive from what I'm reading. That's almost half the cost of SA. I've always wanted a Shelby and their products but when I find out that the majority of what they are installing are other commercial speed parts I started second guessing.

The mission statement from SA on the GTS is to get younger drivers behind the wheel of a Shelby but they have extraordinary long production times and very high costs for additional speed equipment. It may have been simple for them to tell everyone it's a Shelby years ago but the economy is still struggling and many enthusiasts would like a Shelby but cannot afford the name and especially the long, long production times.

I would love to have Shelby do all the work I will have done once I get the car but I don't believe their sales department time estimates and the cost is prohibitive ... at least that's my opinion. Still I'm looking forward to having the base GTS; the upgrades will be done here.

If Shelby mod shop does install it does not need to be 50 state legal and you may run into an issue. They will do all mods are are not regulated like SAI factory. If SAI factory does the install, it has to be 50 state legal. Mod shop is different from SAI factory. At least that was how it was when I had them SC by GT-H. SAI did my install and it had to be 50 state legal. That is why the Paxton cannot be installed on the 2007 SGT. However, mod shop can if you so desire. Hope this makes sense

If you are having Shelby build it, have them do the work IMO.

Good luck

Tasca in RI is a Shelby Mod Shop up here in New England. I'll call them for a price on a Procharger. Hopefully their price is more aligned with the other local shops. I wanted Tasca to build my GTS because they are less than 1-hour away from me in MA. Unfortunately Shelby American only lets them build Supersnakes. I expect they would be quicker at building them too. One good thing about getting a "base" GTS is that I see the car a fun "project" car to add to later.

• 6 months later...

The rebate looks good but my wife is still saying "no". I've installed the 3.73, aluminum DS, and A pillar gauges in anticipation. I may be "anticipating" for the life of the car!

Certainly NO harm in being ready, just in case she changes her mind!

• 6 months later...

I have come across several on allfordmustangs. Several stated theyre up around 550hp, but anything higher than that is getting dangerous on stock internals. Was curious if any fellow TS'ers had done it yet.

I have come across several on allfordmustangs. Several stated theyre up around 550hp, but anything higher than that is getting dangerous on stock internals. Was curious if any fellow TS'ers had done it yet.

It would be interesting to know the RPM power bands of an SC V6 vs a V8.

Archived