TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Brembos Installed, Finally!

I like. I just went with the Brembo's also. I don't think that you really need more than that unless you do alot of serious tracking. And then I think the right pad and rotor choice would be all you need then. That's all the FR500s Mustang Challenge car had. They seemed to work pretty well. Best bang for the buck also since I got my entire deal, rotors, calipers for $250. I like the red!

$250 is a hell of a deal. You are lucky.

I agree, the Brembo's are more than capable. Dropping weight will accomplish much more than going with brakes that are bigger. My draw to the Baers over the Brembos was the look. I not selling the Baers short as they are terrific brakes and are just as capable if not more so (there are American Iron strangs using Baers). One question I've never had answered was what is the weight difference between the Baers and the Brembos (calipers only) and how much effect does one over the other have in unsprung weight.

$250 is a hell of a deal. You are lucky.

I agree, the Brembo's are more than capable. Dropping weight will accomplish much more than going with brakes that are bigger. My draw to the Baers over the Brembos was the look. I not selling the Baers short as they are terrific brakes and are just as capable if not more so (there are American Iron strangs using Baers). One question I've never had answered was what is the weight difference between the Baers and the Brembos (calipers only) and how much effect does one over the other have in unsprung weight.

I had the stockers, then Brembos, then Baers.

The stockers are C.R.A.P. A stock SGT without a blower can overpower those brakes EASILY. Supercharged cars should NOT be driven with them.

The Brembos were a definite upgrade.

The Baers stop better, and are lighter, but so's your wallet if you make that step.

Brembo takeoffs are a SMOKIN' deal - highly recommended. A great upgrade for very little cash.

Jer

Looks Good....I wish I had went with the Brembos and saved some loot. Good choice.

I waited for over 3 years to score a complete set of Brembos (calipers, pads, rotors and SVT wheel w/tires) to replace my stock GT setup...

While I made the stock setup work out on the track... There is a reason why Ford used them on the GT500s and Boss 302s...

Glad to see they have finally made their way to the option list for new Mustangs...

Awesome!!! What pad are ya using? Did you paint them red?

At the moment everything is stock (pads & brake lines). I'll go to some hawks and SS lines as soon as I can dedicate the funds. I just purchased an '01 Cherokee so I can stop using the SGT as my daily driver and hauling squids to and from school. The Jeep was pretty rough so I've had to redirect my mods funds for a short time.

I used the G2 paint (Ford Torch Red) on the calipers. The finish looks just as good as the original black powder coat. Its a tough paint but is prone to chipping so I'll have to watch tools around them. If it doesnt hold up I'll have them powder coated (after I painted them I found a reputable guy who can disasemble, blast, powder, and reassemble for less than $300. I've had these painted and ready to install for nearly 6 months and went back and forth about selling them and jumping on a set of Baers. if Shelby offers up the Wilwoods as a kit (not just rotors) I may change them out.

I like the backing plates but if I was going to spend a lot of time on the track I would go with the kit from Kenny Brown. The CS plates direct about half of the cool air to the hat and half to the rotor face where as the Kenny Brown kit is directly to the hat and thru the vanes.

I agree the brakes need to be upgraded. Even an NA V8 should not be shipped with the stock brakes. I took advantage of the half price deal and 15% off that deal and got the Baer Extreme 6 pistons for up front for around $1500 delivered. WOW!!! They will do more than stop you on a dime. They will put you right through the windshield. :)

Finally got around to intsalling my Brembos. I couldn't make up my mind about pulling the trigger on a set of Baers. Anyway here are few shots.

I also installed the GT500 CS brake cooling baking plates. Enjoy

fcc1ba67.jpg3eda5f8f.jpgb7bc30bc.jpg

5a3b61f5.jpg15153177.jpg

Nice set up but where are the slotted rotors

Nice set up but where are the slotted rotors

In my opinion, with proper cooling and the level I run at when on a track, slotted rotors are not worth the investment. If I was actually racing then it may be a different story.

Now I wouldn't mind a set of the slotted and drilled Baer rotors for the street simply for the bling.

• 2 months later...

I like. I just went with the Brembo's also. I don't think that you really need more than that unless you do alot of serious tracking. And then I think the right pad and rotor choice would be all you need then. That's all the FR500s Mustang Challenge car had. They seemed to work pretty well. Best bang for the buck also since I got my entire deal, rotors, calipers for $250. I like the red!

The OEM "Ford-Brembo's" are GREAT, that is right.

But the race cars (FR500C / FR500S / BOSS 302S) all use radial mount BREMBO calipers with aluminium hat rotors.

Not the same equipement, not the same price, not the same use.

Rehagen Racing sell all of them including the retrofit (or replacement) stock ones.

http://www.rehagenracingproducts.com/category.sc?categoryId=12

The OEM "Ford-Brembo's" are GREAT, that is right.

But the race cars (FR500C / FR500S / BOSS 302S) all use radial mount BREMBO calipers with aluminium hat rotors.

Not the same equipement, not the same price, not the same use.

Rehagen Racing sell all of them including the retrofit (or replacement) stock ones.

http://www.rehagenra...c?categoryId=12

Yes and No, I think. Radial Mount Brembos were not used on all the Factory built racecars, take the FR500C for example. No idea if they are the same as the OE Brembos used on the GT500/BOSS/Track Pack GT but I'm almost certain they were spindle mount.

Yes and No, I think. Radial Mount Brembos were not used on all the Factory built racecars, take the FR500C for example. No idea if they are the same as the OE Brembos used on the GT500/BOSS/Track Pack GT but I'm almost certain they were spindle mount.

FR500C radial brakes:

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/113_0507_fr500c_ford_mustang_grand_am_cup/photo_05.html

http://www.rehagenracingproducts.com/product.sc;jsessionid=338CC2890E541F649DB3A739835F168B.qscstrfrnt06?productId=1836&categoryId=12

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=10360

I stand corrected based on that specific Rehagen listing. Your other two links and within other Rehagen listings the caliper mount is not clear.

Looks great...and LOVE the rims! I got mine on last Friday...kinda bittersweet. Rattle-canned the calipers...they were black. DupliColor Metalcast

Looks terrific! Part of me wishes I had gone Vista Blue with mine.

Archived