TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Photo of a Shelby Charger at a June, 1983 slalom (autocross) in Carlsbad, California

Frank S

Funny, I was out looking at some cars last week for my son and this little rinky dink used car dealer had one exactly like the photo above in perfect condition in the showroom. I think it was his pride and joy. It was cool to see though.

Was it as clean live as it appears in the pix?

Was it as clean live as it appears in the pix?

Sure was. I couldn't believe it. I had another pic from the side but there was so much light coming in from the showroom window the pic was bad. I even considered going to get more pics jut to put up on the site for others to see. It was nice to see one in this sort of shape. I loved these cars when they came out, a friend of mine had one and I was always envious.

Jeff

There's actually quite a bit of difference between the autocrossing car and the car in the show room. The A-cross car is a normally aspirated car which makes it an 83-84 1st gen of the Shelby Charger. The showroom car is a higher output Turbo I car with no sunroof which makes it an '85/'86. Looks like it had some paint work at least on the front since the Dodge decal is in the wrong place. It should not be center but should be to the right of center.

043022.jpg

There's actually quite a bit of difference between the autocrossing car and the car in the show room. The A-cross car is a normally aspirated car which makes it an 83-84 1st gen of the Shelby Charger. The showroom car is a higher output Turbo I car with no sunroof which makes it an '85/'86. Looks like it had some paint work at least on the front since the Dodge decal is in the wrong place. It should not be center but should be to the right of center

I'm guessing 1985 because of the blue seats. If I recall those colored seats were gone by 1986.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I had previously owned a 83 Silver/blue Charger. I have always loved that color combo on Shelby's so much so I bought the same combo in my KR. I have been casually looking for a Shelby Charger in decent shape and have not found anything. Where is the best place to find them?

I had previously owned a 83 Silver/blue Charger. I have always loved that color combo on Shelby's so much so I bought the same combo in my KR. I have been casually looking for a Shelby Charger in decent shape and have not found anything. Where is the best place to find them?

eBay and Craigslist are the best places to keep your eye on.

There's a 1986 blue & silver Shelby Charger on ebay right now that looks pretty good. Although its a turbo car and not a N/A car like your previous 1983 it is the color combo you're looking for. And performance wise its leaps & bounds better than the 1983 car.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Charger-SHELBY-DODGE-SHELBY-CHARGER-TURBO-/201137689297?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2ed4bd92d1&item=201137689297&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Steve

eBay and Craigslist are the best places to keep your eye on.

There's a 1986 blue & silver Shelby Charger on ebay right now that looks pretty good. Although its a turbo car and not a N/A car like your previous 1983 it is the color combo you're looking for. And performance wise its leaps & bounds better than the 1983 car.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Charger-SHELBY-DODGE-SHELBY-CHARGER-TURBO-/201137689297?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2ed4bd92d1&item=201137689297&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Steve

Steve thanks. I just took a look at that and all the memories came back. I agree about the turbo. My car as I recall was fairly slow off the line but handled great for the time. I added an Ansa exhaust system and a performance Mopar air intake. I auto crossed the car occasionally and consistently placed top three in my class. I wish I knew a way to find such a car on CL nationwide vs. cities in my state.

I will just keep checking. Thanks again.

Archived