TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Anyone had bad "cats"

mhh371

Recently had a check engine light pop up. Run over to the local Ford house and get told that I have a bad catalyic converter. Has anyone else had any issues? Possibly with a different outcome.

Ford now says it will be a month before a set of cats is released to be sent for my car.

Car in question is a 2010 with 3000 miles on it. I find it highly strange that a cat was bad, they typically don't get damaged unless a misfire...least in the SOHC 5.4's!!

Any help team?

Thanks!!

A bad tune would be my 1st assumption, but I would be surprised if the OE tune was at fault. If you have changed your tune then there is your issue. If not, it may simply be bad luck, and not the norm.

Many aftermarket tunes/tuners only tune for WOT and this causes problems when driving on the street in normal conditions.

I have a 2008 Shelby GT 4.6L with a Whipple 550 and my cats went bad. Ford replaced them free of charge under warranty but the moron Technician pushed the exhaust back into my bumper and broke the tabs that prevent the bumper from moving back and forth so my bumper eventually melted and they had to replace that free of charge as well.

Thanks for the replies Team.

The car is 100% stock. All the way down to the plastic still on the carpets.

No tune has been changed.

I did take the negative cable off of the battery and leave it sitting for 10 minutes. Cranked it up and light was off.

Drove home around 150 miles that day and the light came back on that night.

Pulling the code did not show either bank or any cylinder running rich, only that the catalyic converter was bad.

Long lead time on the part from Ford. Told that I can drive the vehicle, but when I questioned driving it to Vegas in March....Ford said no do not take it on a road trip.

Thanks again for all the replies.

I did a track day w/ a completely stock engine and a cat went bad on me. I think I had less than 2000 miles on my SGT. It was replaced under warranty.

Archived