TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 / Super Snake Mini Tub - anyone done one?

I don't think they've tubbed it - they are only running 335's and the guards are flared big time. That would be a serious amount of body work - I'm more interested in cutting the inside than going the way they've gone. It looks AMAZING though.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.wm ing...b/projects.html

Not sure the required effort justifies the final result unless you are going for a full out competition drag car. Without cutting the unibody/frame (back-halfing) I don't think there is much to be gained. The Cobra Jets do not have tubs as far as know.

http://www.wm ing...b/projects.html

Not sure the required effort justifies the final result unless you are going for a full out competition drag car. Without cutting the unibody/frame (back-halfing) I don't think there is much to be gained. The Cobra Jets do not have tubs as far as know.

Jacks only needs to clearance about an additional 1" to 1.5" in the inner fender wells to clearance his wheels and tires. We've done a "Mini-Tub" in the past for some customers with an air hammer to just "press in" some of the inner panels of the inner wheel well to clearance the tires.

The above is beyond what is necessary. He's got Alcoa's widened to 11.75" with Michelin 335's and they are rubbing on the inner wells when the wheels are installed.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Van, information is pretty light on in this department. I was initially under the impression that everyone was running 335's without any rubbing - now that appears to not be the case.

We've ordered a set of 315 tyres - if they run without rubbing then we'll probably just stick with that for the moment.

Thanks Van, information is pretty light on in this department. I was initially under the impression that everyone was running 335's without any rubbing - now that appears to not be the case.

We've ordered a set of 315 tyres - if they run without rubbing then we'll probably just stick with that for the moment.

Everyone running 335's is definitely not the case, some do with no issues, some add thin spacers to resolve the clearance issue, others have tried them and had contact issues that would only be resolved with thick spacers and tire stick out.. 335's are not a fit for all cars. My guess is that some cars are jigged with more room in the inner well area, and some with less.

I personally have mentioned this in a couple of my threads related to wider tires.

R

I have 3x 2011 super snakes here that 335's definitely do not fit. If I space them out, they rub on the outer guard AND the inner guard - don't space them and they run on the inner guard bad enough to stall the car in a driveway. There just isn't enough room in the wheel well. Maybe some of the older cars had more space but unless someone has a 2011 out of a different mold than my 3x they ain't gonna work without serious wheel well mods.

I have 3x 2011 super snakes here that 335's definitely do not fit. If I space them out, they rub on the outer guard AND the inner guard - don't space them and they run on the inner guard bad enough to stall the car in a driveway. There just isn't enough room in the wheel well. Maybe some of the older cars had more space but unless someone has a 2011 out of a different mold than my 3x they ain't gonna work without serious wheel well mods.

That could be also, it may be a 2011, or 2010-up thing, where the 335's don't fit like the 2007-2009's?

R

Rob - I think you are correct, I'm guessing the older cars had more clearance. Our 315 tyres have arrived, it'll be about 2 weeks before we get to fit and try them but I'll let everyone know how we get on. I'm pleasantly surprised at how well the standard tyres hook up, most likely due to Griggs setup and diff upgrade than Revan supplied.

Any additional grip would be nice but its actually not as bad as I was expecting. If I could fit the 335's or 345's though without so much work I would do it! The looks of the wider wheels performance gains aside is just amazing.

Archived