TEAM SHELBY FORUM

5.0 engine swap

This question is for all the 06-08 Shelby GT owners...

I am not saying I am just taking an opinion poll

We all know how good the new 5.0 Coyote engine is and how much more potential it has than our 4.6's and for those of you who have no intention of ever getting rid of your Shelby GT's if you had the money how many would consider swapping in the new 5.0 Coyote engine with or without Supercharger? I mean its your Shelby do whatever you want to it as its meant to be driven.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A fortified 3V has just as much potential as the 5.0L.

Believe me, I am not trying to start a range war over this topic but, on paper at least, the 5.0 appears to have more potential, all things being equal. For those of us who live in the real world however, even that higher potential (assuming that is true) would not likely justify the cost. It would be a more interesting question if one gernaded one's 4.6 and was going to have to buy a complete engine in any event. That's what fantasies are made of, huh?

Jim

actually on paper and in real world the 5.0 coyote has more potentiental then the 4.6L. MAX effort NA the 5.0 will oustrip the 4.6 by miles and s'ced the twin cams come into play. i dont really feel the extra powers really worth the added cost though. the 5.0 is expensive to get parts on and valve train upgrades are almost twice as much(almost)

still the 5.0 is a damn good engine, id love to push one to the limits NA wise. a 5.8L stroker spining to 7500 would be pretty knarly, Epic(and expensive). 580 plus NA is more then possible with a stroker.

Edited for clarity

I guess it all depends on what you consider 'potential'. The BOSS with its massaged heads, and fortified internals has made over 800 blown HP. The right combination with a 3V could do the same. N/A, I cannot see why a 5.0L 3V with the right combination could not produce the same power and RPM as the stock BOSS.

Bottom line is don't discount the 3V. It still has plenty of room for power.

This question is for all the 06-08 Shelby GT owners...

I am not saying I am just taking an opinion poll

We all know how good the new 5.0 Coyote engine is and how much more potential it has than our 4.6's and for those of you who have no intention of ever getting rid of your Shelby GT's if you had the money how many would consider swapping in the new 5.0 Coyote engine with or without Supercharger? I mean its your Shelby do whatever you want to it as its meant to be driven.

I think at some point if one does too much he gets away, IMO, from what really makes the car a Shelby GT. The 4.6L is in a sense the heart of the Shelby GT and as such I think it would be more appropiate to go the Shelby GT/SC route, and related Shelby upgrades, than a 5.0 route.

Great question and if price were no object, I think I would still go with the GT/SC option just to keep as pure of a 'Shelby' as possible. Having said that....if I did upgrade to a different engine, i'd likely go the BOSS 302 rather than the Coyote.

I guess it all depends on what you consider 'potential'. The BOSS with its massaged heads, and fortified internals has made over 800 blown HP. The right combination with a 3V could do the same. N/A, I cannot see why a 5.0L 3V with the right combination could not produce the same power and RPM as the stock BOSS.

Bottom line is don't discount the 3V. It still has plenty of room for power.

its simple. the 3v heads simply dont flow as well as the 5.0 heads. the extra cubes help alittle but not as much as the flow numbers and tivct. dont get me wrong i love the 3v. i wouldnt be building a max effort NA 3v if i didnt like it. im still only expecting at most 520 hp from this engine an thats with an 8k rpm redline! the 3v is a great motor just not as advanced as the coyote.

I forgot I put this question up and man thats something to think about! All good points just thinking and when you can't sleep and your daydreaming with your eyes closed you are in trouble when your car pops into your head as you start getting all these idea's and then you wakeup with a headache :rant:

I think at some point if one does too much he gets away, IMO, from what really makes the car a Shelby GT. The 4.6L is in a sense the heart of the Shelby GT and as such I think it would be more appropiate to go the Shelby GT/SC route, and related Shelby upgrades, than a 5.0 route.

True, but if you were considering also buying a new GT350 but then decided not to well an engine swap is less expensive than a whole new car and NO way would I ever sell or trade my GT/SC for any other Shelby. A few more mods and its perfect. Up next is the seats if I can just figure out which ones

its simple. the 3v heads simply dont flow as well as the 5.0 heads. the extra cubes help alittle but not as much as the flow numbers and tivct. dont get me wrong i love the 3v. i wouldnt be building a max effort NA 3v if i didnt like it. im still only expecting at most 520 hp from this engine an thats with an 8k rpm redline! the 3v is a great motor just not as advanced as the coyote.

I absolutely agree. The heads are limiting but can be improved. I thought I read somewhere that the 3V head flow as much as the early Gen 4V. All I was trying say is the 3V can be a contender with the right mix of mods. I would love to see a N/A 3V make 500hp.

Heck, there are twin turbo 2V's making 1000hp so in many cases the only real limit to any of these motors is your wallet.

Warning!!! I have a 2011 F150 with the 5.0 engine. I am extremely unhappy with it! 1 week after I bought it, the engine has developed a bottom end knocking sound at idle. It continues up to about 1500 rpms. No mods...easy break-in period. It now has 3,500 miles and Its been to 3 dealers, and several calls were made to Ford Customer Care. All agree there is a bad knock in the engine, but nobody will do anything about it. Ford says the sound is "normal characteristic of the engine". The dealers say their hands are tied and not to worry because I have plenty of warranty left!!! Can you believe this!!!????

I have searched and found alot of info on this issue and find that it is happening to 2011-12 mustangs and f150's alike. I asked the dealer to bring new truck out of stock so the engine sound can be compared. Amazing, no sound on new truck. So, I am stuck with one of the engines with the knocking. It sounds like it is 20 years old and ready to die. I have no confidence in the truck now. I will be dumping this truck in a few days. Never to return to Ford again... Keep your 4.6 engines and STAY AWAY from this engine!!! I have owned so many Fords my whole life. Too many to count and cant believe the way I have been treated. Keep in mind this truck was $46K!!! I am done. GOOD BYE Ford! You all have been warned.

I've heard there is a TSB out there for the 5.0L related to an engine knock/tick and something to do with the A/C. Not saying this is your issue but might be somethiong to look into. In a quick google search I couldn't find the TSB.

I've heard there is a TSB out there for the 5.0L related to an engine knock/tick and something to do with the A/C. Not saying this is your issue but might be somethiong to look into. In a quick google search I couldn't find the TSB.

yes...i been there done that. That TSB applies to cars built prior to 2/11

Mine has the updated AC tentioner. So, that is not it. Also, the tick sound is entirely different problem related to cam tensioners. This will most likely rear its ugly head soon as well. Also, I have the moaning/buzzing sound now as well. This is the water pump going bad. Many have had this replaced, only t have the new pump go bad in a few thousand miles. This is the biggest POS I ever bought. It goes away on Friday. Good Bye Ford. Thank God.!

yes...i been there done that. That TSB applies to cars built prior to 2/11

Mine has the updated AC tentioner. So, that is not it. Also, the tick sound is entirely different problem related to cam tensioners. This will most likely rear its ugly head soon as well. Also, I have the moaning/buzzing sound now as well. This is the water pump going bad. Many have had this replaced, only t have the new pump go bad in a few thousand miles. This is the biggest POS I ever bought. It goes away on Friday. Good Bye Ford. Thank God.!

Doesn't matter if it was Mercedes, BMW, or Lexus sometimes you can have a 'bad one' hence why the lemon law was created but it doesn't mean the 5.0 engine is bad as a whole. I understand your issues as I had a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 w/ the 4.7 V8 and my Jeep just had issues after issues and just wanted to get rid of it and made me hate the Jeeps but after thinking about it there is no such thing as perfection unless you got a few hundred thousand to buy an Aston Martin or Ferrari. Its funny you say Goodbye FORD but you are a Team Shelby member so if you have a Shelby are you selling it too?

Doesn't matter if it was Mercedes, BMW, or Lexus sometimes you can have a 'bad one' hence why the lemon law was created but it doesn't mean the 5.0 engine is bad as a whole. I understand your issues as I had a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 w/ the 4.7 V8 and my Jeep just had issues after issues and just wanted to get rid of it and made me hate the Jeeps but after thinking about it there is no such thing as perfection unless you got a few hundred thousand to buy an Aston Martin or Ferrari. Its funny you say Goodbye FORD but you are a Team Shelby member so if you have a Shelby are you selling it too?

To answer your question, I sold the SGT. Although I had no problems with it, other than the scoop issue (not a Ford problem), the car was great. But I have not looked back.

The car was sold to make way for a new Mustang, perhaps a Boss or GT500. In light of the way I have been treated, and how dissapointed I am with the new product, I will not be handing another $50K to $60K over to a car company that uses engines that are prone to knocking and says "its normal". There are plenty of options in this price range, and I look forward to "crossing over". Havent heard of any engine knocking in a Z06 ;)

Archived