TEAM SHELBY FORUM

tragedy strikes

Perimeter

well long story short i slid and hit a curb... broke my axle... broke it clear off the hub..... probably going to have to get a new rear end... probably the entire rear.... it was raining and dark and i could'nt assest the damage at the moment. do people sell who entire rear ends or what will i have to do.... i'm still in shock that my prized posession is in my driveway like it is..... any help would be great...... anything... my insurance duc. is 1,000 so should i just claim insurance or try to fix it?

Ouch. I know how that hurts. I did something similar a year ago so join the support group. I was depressed and I let it sit around for weeks before I decided about how to fix it. Finally just got it fixed through insurance and glad I did because it turned out costing much more than expected. I damaged the front end, hub, and strut. Working with the body shop and Alex (Mackenzie Mustang) I used it as an opportunity for some upgrades at the same time (brakes, struts, heat exchanger). Have a good cry, use your insurance, get it fixed, and move on.

Bum deal, sorry to hear it. Complete rear ends can be had from $800 to $1000. If all that was damaged was the axle shaft you can get by with much less $, but you will need to inspect everything (brakes, control arms, gears, suspention mounting points, etc.) before chasing down parts.

You'll get her patched up.

well long story short i slid and hit a curb... broke my axle... broke it clear off the hub..... probably going to have to get a new rear end... probably the entire rear.... it was raining and dark and i could'nt assest the damage at the moment. do people sell who entire rear ends or what will i have to do.... i'm still in shock that my prized posession is in my driveway like it is..... any help would be great...... anything... my insurance duc. is 1,000 so should i just claim insurance or try to fix it?

Nope if you can just fix it, no biggie. Insurance ALWAYS finds a way to recoup the loss...trust me. Only use it if its a serious mishap. I have compassion for your situation I once hit a pressed concrete lighyt pole at 80 plus in a car that was just out of paint for less than a week. Luckily hit the passenger rear quarter bent the car in half pole fell I not only was unscathed but was not hit by the falling pole. I did learn something though...

Go practice drifts somewhere maybe? Cheers and Good Luck!

If you take it to shop for repair it could be part of the cars history. I wouldn't worry about anything at this point, as you didn't get hurt. If you need any measurments to compare against, this is the right place. A complete rear end will be about the same price as your deductable and is easily installed, the contoll arms are on giant rubber bushings and probably didn't get hurt.

Most shops will want to replace more than is needed, that is for sure.

Sorry about the incident. I have been in your shoes. It is a tough pill to swallow. If you can swing it, cover the repairs yourself so you can get what you want without the insurance company telling you what to do. If not, call you agent and get the ball rolling to get her fixed correctly. She will be as good as new and then you have to get back on the horse and ride her hard again!

I did the same thing two years ago. If you hit hard enough to break the axle, you hit hard enough to do structural damage. Remember, the axle housing goes all the way across the car and so do the impact forces. You could have damage on the opposite side of the car. One quick thing to look at: looking up from underneath the fender well there's a pinch weld seam. It split on mine. Also the insurance company isn't going to force you to do anything (except maybe total it). If it doesn't need it, they don't want to pay for it. If the body shop wants to do unnecessary stuff, the adjuster will disallow it. The adjuster will appear multiple times during the repair to keep an eye on things.

You paid for insurance for just this situation. Like mundies said in post #2, it could cost way more than you think. Also, if the body shop does a substandard job, the insurance company will back you up.

Yes, my rates went up. Yes, it got reported. Yes, it's as good as new. Yes, I still love the car.

Good luck!

Steve

When I saw the title, I thought it was serious....bummer that it happened, and thankfully no one got hurt. Write the check and move on, not a big deal in the grand scope of life.

+1

Geez...I thought someone got killed from title...it's just a car. As much as we might enjoy them..that's all they are.

Sorry about the title throwing off some people... it's a tragedy to me lol.. it's my pride and joy.. i was looking at the damage and i bent my lower aftermarket alluminum steeda control arm... going to install a new control arm axle rims and take it to my body man and let him check the alignness... hopefully i made the right choice... i had 4-5 different people look at the damage and it seems to be not that bad... once the control arm and axle its fixed it should be alright... atleast be able to take it to my body man to check 100% thanks for all your help... ill keep you updated on how it goes...

PS anybody got 2 stock rims for sale?

Ouch. I know how that hurts. I did something similar a year ago so join the support group. I was depressed and I let it sit around for weeks before I decided about how to fix it. Finally just got it fixed through insurance and glad I did because it turned out costing much more than expected. I damaged the front end, hub, and strut. Working with the body shop and Alex (Mackenzie Mustang) I used it as an opportunity for some upgrades at the same time (brakes, struts, heat exchanger). Have a good cry, use your insurance, get it fixed, and move on.

+1000...once your ego is repaired and you have a game plan, that is 3/4 of the battle. I had a few take out Shelby rears that I sold in the $500 range, but I don't have any more. Good luck.

Alex

My insurance company will guarantee the repairs as long as I own the car and stay insured with them. Of course, I have to go to one of the repair shops on their list, but it is a pretty good list. Something to ask your insurance company.

I thought the insurance companies could not force you to use their shops. That you were free to use whatever shop you wanted.

I thought the insurance companies could not force you to use their shops. That you were free to use whatever shop you wanted.

It's a list of shops they trust to do quality work, not a shop that belongs to them. And no, I don't have to use them. It's that the guarantee is not the same if I don't.

They're not forcing him. They're just saying it's not guaranteed forever unless he uses their shop.

Steve

Hah, we crossed in the mail.

Archived