TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The BOSS motivation the 2013 GT500, not the ZL1.

EL SHELBY

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good to know that the 5.8L is a "new" motor. Unbelieveable. Some of you guys are simply amazing and somewhat understandable because you read "Hot Rod" magazine! Why is it so difficult for GT500 guys to accept the fact that the 5.0L is the new stuff, more technilogically advanced, superior power plant that will be used going forward while the 5.4/5.8L truck based engines are scrapped. That is the plain, simple, reality whether the the GT500 boys like it or not. There are obviously a number of you here that are in denial and quite outspoken in that regard. Enjoy.

Pretty much every V8 used in the Mustang has also seen time in a Ford truck. The whole point of the mod motor was reduce cost by allowing it to be easily configure for duty in multiple configurations within multiple vehicals. The 5.4/5.8L may very well be on it's last hurray as its basic architecture has been around since '96 but that does not mean the 5.8L is out dated.

The 5.0L is an all new motor but it draws much of its basic specs from the 4.6L.

Why is it so difficult for GT500 guys to accept the fact that the 5.0L is the new stuff, more technilogically advanced, superior power plant that will be used going forward...

It ain't difficult at all, not for this kid.

I half-way kind'a expected the new (2013) GT500 to use some variation of the 5.0 with it's twin variable cam timing and direct injection on it, with PERHAPS a larger displacement than 5.0L. I thought they'd AT LEAST use variable cam timing on the 5.4/5.8L mod motor in the GT500 by now.

I'll put money on it that they use the 5.0/Coyote platform when the "new GT500" hits the market in '14 or '15 (whenever it is that the new "Smaller/Lighter" Mustang body hits the market.

The current 5.4/5.8L modular motor used in the GT500 is pretty much a dionsaur already (technologicly speaking).

Phill

It ain't difficult at all, not for this kid.

I half-way kind'a expected the new (2013) GT500 to use some variation of the 5.0 with it's twin variable cam timing and direct injection on it, with PERHAPS a larger displacement than 5.0L. I thought they'd AT LEAST use variable cam timing on the 5.4/5.8L mod motor in the GT500 by now.

I'll put money on it that they use the 5.0/Coyote platform when the "new GT500" hits the market in '14 or '15 (whenever it is that the new "Smaller/Lighter" Mustang body hits the market.

The current 5.4/5.8L modular motor used in the GT500 is pretty much a dionsaur already (technologicly speaking).

Phill

Thank You, nice to see someone who understands what is evolving. It is a good thing just not palatable to some of the die hard defenders of the faith for some bizzare reason.

Dumb statement? Indeed. Tell me, which of the current V8s will prevail and be the mainstay of the next generation Stangs the best of which will run circles around the currnet GT500s. The 5.0 is far superior in many aspects when compared to the truck motor in the GT500s. Sorry but the Kool Aide guzzlers need to open their eyes and smell reality.

OK, Im not sure why you are here. If its just to egg people on, I guess have at it. To expect that the new generation of Mustangs wont run circles ariund the last generation is dilusional and something no one has said. The fact is, right now, the GT500 is the king Mustang, period. Not that the Boss isnt right up there. With the 13, that gap gets much bigger. in 15, I would not be surprised to see the 5.8 go. But, thats tomorrow

How about one of the mods removing these two sophmoric morons from this thread and let them duke it out with wrenches in a parking lot somewhere. I thought this was an adults-only forum!!!!!!!!!

Andwho whould you be speaking of

I’m always amazed at people who do things to take off 3 pounds here, 15 pounds there, and maybe 20 pounds total with all their lightweight mods… Hell, just go on a diet and lose 30 pounds around your waistline/ass and spend your money on adding horsepower. Okay, I know all the 147 pound guys are gonna flame this but if you’re a 200 plus’er like me, you know it’s true (LOL). :hammer_self:

I hate that your right :) But, if you need to be competitive, you have to look at the car and remove weight in the right places. With a Mustang, thats the front end and unsprung weight

Just wondering speedy, What do you drive? :speedie: I am pretty sure it's NOT a Shelby.. :poke:

Really, you know what I drive, amazing how sharp some of you internet experts are. Can't imagine why it would matter to you but I had an '08 GT500 that we grabbed at the auction in '08. Was in the car for mid 30s, had some fun with it, lots of attention but not reallly a great performer in stock form. Am I allowed to have an opinion at that point?

The reality is we're gonna have to wait and see how the new 5.8 actually performs in the 2013 Shelby before making any definitive judgment. Once the car is on the road, by all means then bring on all critical faculties to assess its strengths and weaknesses. Looks like the preliminary data thats been released show a wide power band of usable torque and hp which can only be a good thing. If it proves to be an old, outmoded engine the data will speak for itself. Right now all we got is speculation and conjecture...

Archived