TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The BOSS motivation the 2013 GT500, not the ZL1.

EL SHELBY

The Boss 302 was the motivation for the 2013 Shelby GT500, not the Camaro ZL1

Sounds far more plausible than the ZL1 actually being the driver, though I'm certain the ZL1 wasn't completely overlooked.

"According to Jamal Hameedi, the SVT chief nameplate engineer. At the L.A. Auto Show Hameedi informed us (Mustangs Daily) that the increased performance of the 2013 GT500 was not inspired by the Camaro ZL1 but rather to stay a step ahead of the Mustang Boss 302. When we asked whether the Camaro ZL1 influenced the development of the 2013 GT500, he quickly responded by saying “surprisingly not because when we launched this program it was in the darkest days of the automotive industry. Everyone had said the ZL1 program was canceled. So actually when we kicked this program off the ZL1 was canceled at the time.”

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah but during the tail end they knew it was coming and I'm sure adjusted accordingly. They didn't need all this to beat a Boss. In fact the 550HP would have been fine with better cooling, suspension, and launch control.

The Boss is a great car. My cousin has one and with a few small mods his car is a force to be reckoned with, on the drag strip and the road course. He runs consistent mid to high 11 second quarter mile times at 120 mph. Also he does several SCCA driving events and the Boss smokes all the rest. His prior cars were a 2003 ZO6 with a few mods and then a 2008 ZO6 with a few mods. He will tell you that the 2012 Boss 302 Mustang is the BEST car he has ever had and handles plenty of abuse. Glad to here that the 2013 Shelby was influenced by the Boss 302 Mustang............

"According to Jamal Hameedi, the SVT chief nameplate engineer. At the L.A. Auto Show Hameedi informed us (Mustangs Daily) that the increased performance of the 2013 GT500 was not inspired by the Camaro ZL1 but rather to stay a step ahead of the Mustang Boss 302.

I kind of felt that the Boss was getting a little too close to the GT500 in terms of showroom stock performance, to be honest. So that makes a lot of sense.

Yes there was. I had no trouble passing the 2012 SVT GT500s with my 08 SGT/SC. I have hours of track videos I should post a couple

When I ran with Scott and Rick this past Spring, both cars were right there with the Boss. I did go head to head with the Roush, Boss won. Chad, when your Boss arrives this Spring are you going to keep your SGT?

Attached Thumbnails

90055d1309728137t-random-pics-your-boss-302-power-tour-2011027.jpg

I will never sell my SGT I have way too much money in Mods in it to ever be able to sell it plus I LOVE my SGT so I will be adding the BOSS.

I am justing waiting for the order bank to open so I can send Ed from Capital Ford a $1,000 check for the deposit.

I am 95% sure I am getting a Grabber Blue Boss. I still need to get a better look at the Grabber Green before I decide which color.

The 2013 GT500 with the Track pack sounds like it might be a good road course car but I still have a gut feeling that the BOSS will be a better road course car. Plus with about $10,000 I can turn that Boss into a Road Course Warrior and I would still be under the cost of a 2013 GT500

In Tulsa the Bosses were sure beating up the GT500's. :titanic::speedie: :tease:

Were there ANY New 11/12 Aluminum Block GT500 cars Running?.. :stirpot:

This is the only 3rd party (impartial?) track testing video I've seen of stock vehicles, and the 2011 GT500 still beats a 2012 Boss 302 LS...

This is the only 3rd party (impartial?) track testing video I've seen of stock vehicles, and the 2011 GT500 still beats a 2012 Boss 302 LS...

Great all stock, same driver test and it is still the 2010 cast iron motored Shelby.. Thanks SVT NAJA

Great all stock, same driver test and it is still the 2010 cast iron motored Shelby.. Thanks SVT NAJA

I don't think that a 2010 IRON block GT500 had SVT thin stripes and 2012 wheels.

Over this weekend I will figure out how to upload track videos from various events.

I liked how the person doing the testing stated that he would take the BOSS home.

Don't get me wrong I like GT500's but from what I have seen there are better Mustangs for road course racing maybe the 2013 GT500 will change that opinion.

I don't think that a 2010 IRON block GT500 had SVT thin stripes and 2012 wheels.

Over this weekend I will figure out how to upload track videos from various events.

I liked how the person doing the testing stated that he would take the BOSS home.

Don't get me wrong I like GT500's but from what I have seen there are better Mustangs for road course racing maybe the 2013 GT500 will change that opinion.

......Well don't get me wrong but when they list 3 of 4 cars as 2011 and the Shelby as a 2010 I think they probably knew what they were talking about..It still beat the Boss with an Iron Block.. Don't waste your time with videos as that will always have more to do with Drivers and modified Cars. Also there is still no word if Shelby will make a Boss edition so as yet it is still NO SHELBY..

......Well don't get me wrong but when they list 3 of 4 cars as 2011 and the Shelby as a 2010 I think they probably knew what they were talking about..It still beat the Boss with an Iron Block.. Don't waste your time with videos as that will always have more to do with Drivers and modified Cars. Also there is still no word if Shelby will make a Boss edition so as yet it is still NO SHELBY..

LOL... sorry that is NOT a 2010 GT500 even though that EDMONDS said it was, they CLEARLY have no clue what they are testing. Sorry the Laguna Seca came out in 2012 and they said they were testing a 2011 Laguna Seca. EDMONDS should be ashamed of themselves for screwing up the years of the cars they were testing, just by that video it shows me they are not a reliable source for information.

You also have to keep in mind that different tracks will cater to different cars/Mustangs. The GT500 has always been a very capable ride though it typically does so with brute force. The time difference between the BOSS and the GT500 in this test (.5 Sec.) is negligible. They could probably take turns swapping best lap times all day long at Williow.

The real point here is not which is better, but which is the best bang for the buck for your prefered driving style. The fact that a $45k BOSS could easily keep pace with a $55k GT500 clearly shows that Ford needed to take the GT500 to the next level. On paper it appears Ford has done that with the '13.

Car mags screw-up info ALL the time.

The new V-6, 5.0 and thin stripe Shelby SVTPP in the Edmunds video are definitely 2011's (and maybe even 12's). On the other hand, the Boss 302 LS is ABSOLUTELY a 2012... and the Shelby beat it. Those are the facts!

You also have to keep in mind that different tracks will cater to different cars/Mustangs. The GT500 has always been a very capable ride though it typically does so with brute force. The time difference between the BOSS and the GT500 in this test (.5 Sec.) is negligible. They could probably take turns swapping best lap times all day long at Williow.

The real point here is not which is better, but which is the best bang for the buck for your prefered driving style. The fact that a $45k BOSS could easily keep pace with a $55k GT500 clearly shows that Ford needed to take the GT500 to the next level. On paper it appears Ford has done that with the '13.

The base price for a 2012 Boss 302 LS is $48,100... whereas the 2011 Shelby GT500 was $48,645 + $3,495 for the SVTPP option.

Thank you for being specific on the 'base price'..... I'm sure Ford prints a lot of stickers with the MSRP at the 'base price'. Next time I post I promise to be very specific with $.

Again, it's not about which is better. The GT500 and the BOSS are two different cars with two different agendas. But when you look solely at the showroom floor performance numbers they are to close to each other to justify one over the other. Now if you need leather and nav then it's a different discussion.

For '13 Ford could have easily improved the BOSS's performance with far less expense then with the GT500. To continue making the GT500 a viable performace option the '13 GT500 had to truely distinguish itself from BOSS. 650hp and the rest of the goodies clearly does that.

This whole discussion is kind of mute. On a longer track, the GT500 (2011/2012) will murder a boss 302. On the shorter track, the tables can easily turn in th Boss's favor. That does not take into account the biggest factor, the driver

I will never sell my SGT I have way too much money in Mods in it to ever be able to sell it plus I LOVE my SGT so I will be adding the BOSS.

I am justing waiting for the order bank to open so I can send Ed from Capital Ford a $1,000 check for the deposit.

I am 95% sure I am getting a Grabber Blue Boss. I still need to get a better look at the Grabber Green before I decide which color.

The 2013 GT500 with the Track pack sounds like it might be a good road course car but I still have a gut feeling that the BOSS will be a better road course car. Plus with about $10,000 I can turn that Boss into a Road Course Warrior and I would still be under the cost of a 2013 GT500

If Chad likes the Grabber Blue Boss then his MSRP is $40,995. for a 302, not LS. I could not see any more performance difference between the two is why I thought the best bang for the buck was the 302 and kept the 7k. I also would never sell my 07 for a 13.

Not bad for 444HP

http://mustangsdaily...s-11-7-117-mph/

I never saw ya :)

Hey we all don't have real race cars Mister....Okay I will figure out this video editing. You can't upload a video more than 15 minutes long to Youtube and all my track videos are at least 20 minutes or longer so I have to edit them which shouldn't take me too long to figure out. I have been wanting to share videos with you all for a while but never uploaded one to TS before.

This whole discussion is kind of mute. On a longer track, the GT500 (2011/2012) will murder a boss 302. On the shorter track, the tables can easily turn in th Boss's favor. That does not take into account the biggest factor, the driver

I am actually struggeling trying to decide which car would be best for me. (between the 2013 GT500 with track pack or the 2013 Boss 302)

My main focus is ROAD COURSE RACING for my next ride and I have to be able to finance it otherwise if i had the cash I would just call Dean up and order a race car with a Boss engine in it.

Tim you know me and we share the same interests so which car would you choose if you were to buy a 2013?

I am actually struggeling trying to decide which car would be best for me. (between the 2013 GT500 with track pack or the 2013 Boss 302)

My main focus is ROAD COURSE RACING for my next ride and I have to be able to finance it otherwise if i had the cash I would just call Dean up and order a race car with a Boss engine in it.

Tim you know me and we share the same interests so which car would you choose if you were to buy a 2013?

Im not a fan of the supercharger, regarless of cooling. If you want to Road Race, stick with the Boss. There is plenty of untapped power and in the long run, it is better suited. Im sure the GT500 will be a beast but.....

I know where you can get one ;)

Archived