TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Interesting Article

svttim

Out there "somewhere" is a story of some "locals" timing the GT500 back in the Summer un-officially at around 7:30-ish...

Which is why the 7:41 for the Camaro didn't seem like a big deal to me when I read the "official" statement from GM...

And YES, it was just one story of someone hanging out by the 'Ring, hacking a stop watch and waiting until the same car came back around again...

But if SVT is claiming "Deep" into the 7's ??? Well to me that means something below 7:30 :shift:

Out there "somewhere" is a story of some "locals" timing the GT500 back in the Summer un-officially at around 7:30-ish...

Which is why the 7:41 for the Camaro didn't seem like a big deal to me when I read the "official" statement from GM...

And YES, it was just one story of someone hanging out by the 'Ring, hacking a stop watch and waiting until the same car came back around again...

But if SVT is claiming "Deep" into the 7's ??? Well to me that means something below 7:30 :shift:

Rumor has it, high 20's

You have to take this "Deep in to the 7's" with a grain of salt. I'm not saying the '13 cannot do such a time, only that as far as we know only development mules of the '13 were tested at the Ring. Meaning, the set-up on the mules may not be the final set-up on the production '13.

Who knows, maybe it was even quicker.....

You have to take this "Deep in to the 7's" with a grain of salt. I'm not saying the '13 cannot do such a time, only that as far as we know only development mules of the '13 were tested at the Ring. Meaning, the set-up on the mules may not be the final set-up on the production '13.

Who knows, maybe it was even quicker.....

Agreed, but, same can be said about the ZL-1

Personally, it doesn't matter to me...

Me either because I know I will NEVER run my carr on "The Ring".

Phill

GM fanboys sure have latched onto "the rING" as the be all end all.

Yeah, I agree but in all fairness, so did the Shelby/GT500 fanboys when Ford announced that the new 2011 GT500 w/SVTPP was "2 seconds faster on Laguna Seca". But if you calculate it out, 2.3 seconds a lap on Laguna Seca is only ONE MPH, at 1:48, which is what the GT500 was turning on LS back then.

I wonder what the difference in avg. MPH Is between the ZL1 and the GT500 on The Ring? Anyone know?

Me personally, I don't play the "Ford Vs. Chevy" (my car's better than yours) games. That's SOOOooo HIgh School.

And I'm serious...That's how all the guys used to be in High School.

"My Chevy is better than your Mopar", "My Ford is better than your Chevy", "My Chevelle is better than your Challenger", blah X 3.

I remember the Chevy & Mopar guys would always say "FORD stands for "Fix Or Repair Daily", "Found On (the) Road Dead" or "Found On Raceday Dead", etc.

And the Ford guys would say they named them MOPAR because when you pass one, the driver is screaming "MO POWER!, MO POWER!"...

I'm not a "Ford guy" or a "Chevy guy" or a "Dodge guy" or a ......I'm a *CAR* guy and I don't particulary care what kind of car it is, as long as it's FAST and POWERFUL. I love fast cars, fast bikes, fast planes, fast boats, fast anything. Ford, Chevy, Mopar...NISSAN. They all make (and some made) great cars. I feel we're all very fortunate to live in this day and age of modern technology and BIG HP numbers. This is exciging as hell. I can't tell you how many supposed "500, 600 or 800 Horsepower" (or 9 & 10 second) cars I've ridden in that would get ATE UP by a modern "Muscle Car". Yeah, sure, 500 HP...MY ASS. They were lucky if they were pulling 3 or 400 HP back then...and quite honestly, we all thought THEY were fast!

The name "Phillip" means "Lover of Horses" and it's true....I LOVE HORSEPOWER!

Ehh, Boys will be boys,

Phill (not picking on Chris, just stating my opinion attached to my agreement with him)

The Camaro 5 forum has been going crazy the last few days because the CEO at GM challenged Ford to pit the GT500 against the ZL1 on the Ring. Each automaker could pick their own driver. Ford turned down the challenge and all the Camaro guys are calling Ford chicken, and all the usual crap you would hear in grade school or high school.

I'm actually impressed with how little talking Ford is doing about the new GT500. GM on the other hand is behaving like an insecure bully.

Camaro fan boys are demanding that Ford release Ring times and 1/4 mile times and if they don't then they believe Ford is actually lying about the car having 650HP.

What all of these morons fail to understand is that Ford, or any other car maker, does not respond to these requests. They all have marketing dept.s that carefully release info ON THEIR TIMETABLE.

They never give those on these forums or other mustang forums, forums filled with members who are going to BUY their offerings, info until they are ready to give it out.

Ford doesn't care that some Camaro fan boys write post after post calling Ford liars and demanding proof. They will release all the info when THEY are ready to.

So all the performance numbers will trickle out over the coming months. Far too slow and far too infrequent for most of us, but that's the way the car business operates.

I remember the Chevy & Mopar guys would always say "FORD stands for "Fix Or Repair Daily", "Found On (the) Road Dead" or "Found On Raceday Dead", etc.

I had a t-shirt when I was in High School (74-77) that said, "First On Race Day!" :shoppingcart_:

But in all honesty I'm with you on this one. Ford, Chevy, Mopar... It's all good. I'm just glad to see muscle cars back in the limelight. :worship:

I often say I'm a closet Mopar fan. My favorite mopar in the day was the Plymouth GTX.

And the Ford guys would say they named them MOPAR because when you pass one, the driver is screaming "MO POWER!, MO POWER!"...

:hysterical:

I forgot about this one!

:hysterical:

I often say I'm a closet Mopar fan. My favorite mopar in the day was the Plymouth GTX.

The GTX was one HELL of a car. Totally disrespected and very powerful.

A guy I used to know had one and if I recall, it had a 440 Wedge in it.

Shit-gittin' fast, bare-bones basic and meant for business (racing).

Phill

The Camaro 5 forum has been going crazy the last few days because the CEO at GM challenged Ford to pit the GT500 against the ZL1 on the Ring. Each automaker could pick their own driver. Ford turned down the challenge and all the Camaro guys are calling Ford chicken, and all the usual crap you would hear in grade school or high school.

I'm actually impressed with how little talking Ford is doing about the new GT500. GM on the other hand is behaving like an insecure bully.

Camaro fan boys are demanding that Ford release Ring times and 1/4 mile times and if they don't then they believe Ford is actually lying about the car having 650HP.

What all of these morons fail to understand is that Ford, or any other car maker, does not respond to these requests. They all have marketing dept.s that carefully release info ON THEIR TIMETABLE.

They never give those on these forums or other mustang forums, forums filled with members who are going to BUY their offerings, info until they are ready to give it out.

Ford doesn't care that some Camaro fan boys write post after post calling Ford liars and demanding proof. They will release all the info when THEY are ready to.

So all the performance numbers will trickle out over the coming months. Far too slow and far too infrequent for most of us, but that's the way the car business operates.

Actually, most of the guys over at Camaro 5 have been pretty good. Most realize they have to keep GM's feet to the fire if they want a good product

Actually, most of the guys over at Camaro 5 have been pretty good. Most realize they have to keep GM's feet to the fire if they want a good product

I guess we've been reading different posts. I cannot believe the level of stupidity and ignorance over on that forum.

SVTperformance.com has a thread on this. The guy who timed the GT500 posted on there.

Why bother, I'm sure that every magazine in the country will be testing these cars against each other in just about all categories. I wouldn't worry about the talk. The proof will be coming, however not for some time yet. Probably not until April - May of next year.

Why bother, I'm sure that every magazine in the country will be testing these cars against each other in just about all categories. I wouldn't worry about the talk. The proof will be coming, however not for some time yet. Probably not until April - May of next year.

Agreed, I was going to let my Car & Driver and Road & Track magazine subscriptions expire but am now renewing just to read the comparisons in the spring. You know someone is going for the "first to 200 mph" bragging rights. :shift:

Agreed, I was going to let my Car & Driver and Road & Track magazine subscriptions expire but am now renewing just to read the comparisons in the spring. You know someone is going for the "first to 200 mph" bragging rights. :shift:

And do you really think that either company would be playing fair? Yea sure, it's stock off the showroom floor........... :hysterical: Let's see, we'll have Oliver Beretta or Jan Magnussen drive the Camaro and Joe Foster or Scott Maxwell drive the Mustang. All fair drivers..... :hysterical: It would be fun to watch for sure, but not likely with "Stock" showroom ready cars....... Not that many of the magazines usually have drivers that really know their stuff. It will be fun however seeing how this all shakes out with the different magazines. I would imagine that we'll see the Camaro hold it's own in some tests but not in others. I would guess by the stats so far that the Camaro will not be ahead much of the time, or much of any of the time! But...we'll see!

I want to see Tommy Kendall take each car off the showroom on the same day, on the same track and push them both to the limits, to see how they do. Gotta have the same driver doing duty in both cars to get much of a fair test. That would be a fun episode of "Test drive".

Lots of talk about "Ring" times. What do they really mean and do the small differences have any bearing on real world street performance. The "Ring" is over 14 miles long. Differences of 10 or 15 seconds are well within variances created by atmosheric conditions, tire compounds and driver variations, or driver error. Save the road course crap for the the wine and cheese Porschephiles. GT500s are primarily configured to be straightline ball busting monsters with solid axles. A 650HP, 3800 lb. car is going to feel much stronger and more fun to drive than one at 4200 lbs and a rated 580HP. Why do we have to transport cars to Germany for evaluation. Whats wrong with Watkins Glenn, Laguna, or Mid America.

What about the Autobahn?

The Silver State Classic in Nevada.

Something like 95 miles of closed course highway with LOTS of opportunity to go WFO.

SOMEONE will do it. Rob Gotlieb<sp?> holds the record in a 1969 CAMARO (aka "Big Red").

Come on, a freakin' modern day GT500 *should* be able to beat a naturally asperated, 1969 techno BRICK in 95 miles of open road.

But it hasn't been done yet!

Phill

And do you really think that either company would be playing fair? Yea sure, it's stock off the showroom floor........... :hysterical: .................

I didn't say it would be fair. (LOL)

Ever read Brock Yate's book, "Sunday Driver"?

The part about the 1966 Supercar comparison test is hysterical. GM and Ford showed up with "factory tuned" stock cars. One showed up from a dealership that sponsored a NASCAR racecar with factory backing. Most of the others were just as bad. I actually still have the magazine at the house and they were probably the "fastest" of each model of those supercars produced. The Mercury Cyclone with 390-4V turned 13.8 at 103+ while most were lucky to dip in to the 15's at 90+ mph back then.

Yeah, it will be fun to read the magazine comparisons. :hysterical:

Archived