TEAM SHELBY FORUM

FUTURE SGT VALUES

07SGT

I think in twenty years the standard 08' Mustang GT will continue to drop in price each year until it hits around $1,000.00 dollars. . But the 08' Shelby GT will drop to around $ 12,000.00 , level off, then start to climb back up as time goes on. In fourty years it will be back up to its original selling price and rise some each year. That is what I expect. Very similar to the 67'/68' Shelby's

In 1981 I purchased a 1970 Boss 302 original condition for $4500 . So in 11 years the Boss was back up to it's original price and kept on going from there. But in 1981 you could not buy a true muscle car so the 70 Boss was special. Today the muscle cars and sport coupes get faster every year. There are just a ton of muscle / sport coupes to choose from. Supply and demand will keep the 07-09 Shelby Mustangs models depreciating for a long time. I think the Ford GT and maybe the R cobras are the only blue chip car that Ford has made that you can bet on. But the R cobras still have not taken off yet. Had Ford only done a two year run on the Shelby GT500 then that would have been a candidate for blue chip status. Ford did what they wanted so we just live and learn.

Frankly I don't see how the Shelby's or any collector car of today can be compared to those produced 30-40-50 years ago. In the last twenty years America's view of the automobile has gone from a luxury item to a disposable tool so it's nearly impossible to judge how time will treat these cars. Will the SGT be more vaulable than the average Mustang, sure, but the SGT (or the Mustang GT) did not have the fanfare or the racing history/fame of the '60's Mustangs. Remeber, when the Mustang was 1st introduced it was an absolute game changer, and Shelby gave it it's racing chops. No other car since (with maybe the exception of the Caravan/minivan) has had that level of impact on automotive history.

There will always be those that appreciate and will be willing to pay good money for the modern Shelby but I don't believe they will come anywhere close to be as collectable (regardless of $ value) as those built in the 60's.

I hate to say it, but I would wager that the current Camaro will hold it's value better than the Mustang simply because it took a hiatus. The current Camaro sales are driven in large part by nostalgia.

The Terminator Cobra has held it's value not because of it's collectability but because of the motor's performance potential; bang for the buck. I would be surprised to see many fully restored are saved examples in 30 years. Then again, maybe that's the perfect formula for collectabilty and value as Jer points out with the original Shelby's; no one saw them as collector items and went out and beat on them.....

I've had a lot of Mustangs over the years, mostly 1969 models. Sold the last one in 1996 (too cheap!)

2 years ago, after looking at the 2010 Mustang, I decided that the 05-09 was the best body style since 1970, and I'd better buy one while there were still new ones on the lot.

After a little research, I found I could buy a Shelby GT, like new, for about what a GT would cost new - $27K. And after looking at a white one, I decided it was by far the best-looking Mustang since the 1970 Boss 302. Plus it's built by Shelby, not a Ford with a Shelby-licensed name.

And it's the first Shelby that I have been able to afford ever since I began lusting after them in the 1970s.

So, for the same money, I'm driving a nicer car that turns heads every time I drive it.

But a big part of the buying decision was my certainty that it would hold it's value far better than a standard GT. I just hate depreciation.

Sure it will drop a bit. But it will increase when Carrol passes.

I fully expect to get 100% of money back if I were ever to sell it. Might even get more.

But I'm not likely to sell it.

It's a keeper

So with th release of the insane new 650hp GT 500 that surley will be burned into the minds of every future car guy as bad ass, I'd say that the GTH and SGT will also be looked at in a better light many year from now as they rekindled the fire...The Legacy grows...I hope that there are a bunch more super cool cars bearing the SA name for many years...too cool!

The SGTS will face a tougher crowd today in my eyes than in the future.

Ford gave Shelby mustangs in the 1960's and Shelby made the GT350.

Ford gave Shelby mustangs in '07 and '08 and Shelby made the Shelby GT.

Similar bumps in power, suspension, and looks.

In the future, people who were around to see the Shelby's of the 1960's when they were new wont be around.

It will be the young adults today that want a Shelby when they are up in age 60's

Finding a 2007 SGT in 50 years should be easy, finding a SGTS in 50 years - not so easy.

In terms of numbers there are roughly 6000 more Shelby GT cars than Shelby GTS, supply and demand? Who knows.

I agree with this. Nobody thought they'd be worth anything back in the day... now look. Today, people keep trying to say they won't be worth anything.... I say let's wait and see. I have my car not out of potential collectibility value, but because it's a Shelby and I've been in love with Shelby's for as long as I can remember. If it's not worth a fortune in the future I'm ok with that, BUT when it is, it'll be pretty cool! ;)

Frankly I don't see how the Shelby's or any collector car of today can be compared to those produced 30-40-50 years ago. In the last twenty years America's view of the automobile has gone from a luxury item to a disposable tool so it's nearly impossible to judge how time will treat these cars. Will the SGT be more vaulable than the average Mustang, sure, but the SGT (or the Mustang GT) did not have the fanfare or the racing history/fame of the '60's Mustangs. Remeber, when the Mustang was 1st introduced it was an absolute game changer, and Shelby gave it it's racing chops. No other car since (with maybe the exception of the Caravan/minivan) has had that level of impact on automotive history.

There will always be those that appreciate and will be willing to pay good money for the modern Shelby but I don't believe they will come anywhere close to be as collectable (regardless of $ value) as those built in the 60's.

I hate to say it, but I would wager that the current Camaro will hold it's value better than the Mustang simply because it took a hiatus. The current Camaro sales are driven in large part by nostalgia.

The Terminator Cobra has held it's value not because of it's collectability but because of the motor's performance potential; bang for the buck. I would be surprised to see many fully restored are saved examples in 30 years. Then again, maybe that's the perfect formula for collectabilty and value as Jer points out with the original Shelby's; no one saw them as collector items and went out and beat on them.....

+1

:shift:

"But PLEASE, people who own these cars, DON'T lock them away! DRIVE THEM!!!"

Absolutely. I talked to a guy at a recent show. He bought his '07 GT500 paying MSRP + $20K ADM. I guess they were really hot back then. He has 500 miles on it, and was bragging about that. ARE YOU KIDDING ME - was what I was thinking. It is still only worth $35K today. Maybe a little more. So he did not enjoy the car and still lost $35K. Ownership/possession is worth NOTHING to me. The pleasure of driving the car is what it is all about. Bought mine 2 months ago with 5 K on it. It now has 10K on it thanks to my recent trip to sunny south Florida. It is going back in January and March also. DRIVE IT!!!!! I have decided to make it my daily driver. I'm keeping the SGT as a garage queen.

Funny you should use the word "PATINA" :hysterical:

As that is what I am going to use instead of "7SGT547" when it comes time to re-new my personalized tag here in KS :happy feet:

And I think you are right in that these cars were meant to be driven on a regular basis... Not beat on doing hole-shots and smokey burn-outs at every stop light...

But taken out to the Drag Strip, Road Course or any windy-twisty back road when you get the chance... Even participating in the Parade Laps if you aren't wanting to prep your car for the track...

Because the only real "value" these cars will have in the next 10-15 years or so, will be the memories and the 25,000 coast-to-coast miles I've driven during the past 5 years...

Not to say there won't be a "collectors" market for them in 20 years, but I've got another 15 years and 75,000 more miles to go before I'll start to worry about any significant increase in $$$ value...

I think I got some front end "PATINA" following you at one of the Vegas Bashes : )

My biggest issue is were to put the parts I know I'm going to wear out. I have a whole front clip stuck in the rafters of the garage. Bought it cheap on Ebay from white GTCS owner.

Seems that I follow a little to close on the track and I don't believe in blue tape. Had the window replaced 2 times and 4 sets of tires at 24k miles. Had to buy a BOSS as a daily driver to keep the miles off my "investment".

value.jpg

I agree with the drive em like you stole it crowd and I hope the cars last for my daughters sake. They certainly are fun in many ways and value "present or future" is to each his own.

value.jpg

My biggest issue is were to put the parts I know I'm going to wear out. I have a whole front clip stuck in the rafters of the garage. Bought it cheap on Ebay from white GTCS owner.

Seems that I follow a little to close on the track and I don't believe in blue tape. Had the window replaced 2 times and 4 sets of tires at 24k miles. Had to buy a BOSS as a daily driver to keep the miles off my "investment".

value.jpg

I agree with the drive em like you stole it crowd and I hope the cars last for my daughters sake. They certainly are fun in many ways and value "present or future" is to each his own.

No need to keep the old parts. There is NO WAY to determine which clip came with the car so you can toss your old one which is not going to be worth anymore than any other used CS part.

No need to keep the old parts. There is NO WAY to determine which clip came with the car so you can toss your old one which is not going to be worth anymore than any other used CS part.

My neighbor seems to permanently borrow stuff like that : )

Mike

Archived