TEAM SHELBY FORUM

FUTURE SGT VALUES

07SGT

We all know that the SGT has not maintained, nor did we expect, purchase price values. We knew the SGT would drop in value for some time. I am curious how low you think the SGT will eventually drop before plateauing and eventually starting to rise in collector value. And how many years in that forecast. Apparently one can buy a SGT for about 25K, depending upon mileage, at this time. How low do we think the SGT will drop, and when, before it levels out.. Will it increase in value someday?

We all know that the SGT has not maintained, nor did we expect, purchase price values. We knew the SGT would drop in value for some time. I am curious how low you think the SGT will eventually drop before plateauing and eventually starting to rise in collector value. And how many years in that forecast. Apparently one can buy a SGT for about 25K, depending upon mileage, at this time. How low do we think the SGT will drop, and when, before it levels out.. Will it increase in value someday?

I don't think so.

I expect it to always be worth 20-25% more than a Mustang GT. That's it.

Old Shelbys are collectible because no one treated them as collectible.

Many of today's Shelby buyers treat their car like an investment, so... there will be plenty of clean examples available for many years to come.

Supply and demand!

After 26 years in the guitar business, I've seen the same thing.

Jer

I honestly haven't given it a thought. I didn't buy it as an investment, and if you look back at my posts in 2007, made a very strong case that today's Shelby's will NEVER rise to the level those from the 60's enjoy. Simple math really! A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. There are about 8000 give or take SGTs and another 30,000 or so GT500's. Many of these buyers are not using them as daily drivers and instead keeping them nice and clean.

Contrast this with the 60's cars that were beat and then hung out to dry. Many were crushed or rusted away. What makes them valuable is that there are so few pristine copies left given the number of people that want one. This I submit will NEVER, ok in my lifetime, be the case with any 2006+ Shelby. They still make them today and those that have been built can easily be found low mileage and all.

In other words as long as there are people saving the cars for a day they'll be worth money, they'll never be worth money…IMHO! :doh:

Oh what a cruel irony!

:sing_rain:

The SGT"s are depreciating about the same as the GT 500's. The only consolation in my opinion will be that in the future, SGT's should do much better in re-value than the GT 500's. The GT/SC's will do very well, along with the Super Snakes.

Well, yeah, I have to agree with that. Special cars (with official Shelby mods, from Vegas or other Mod Shops) may fetch an extra value.

But PLEASE, people who own these cars, DON'T lock them away! DRIVE THEM!!!

Jer

I don't think so.

I expect it to always be worth 20-25% more than a Mustang GT. That's it.

Old Shelbys are collectible because no one treated them as collectible.

Many of today's Shelby buyers treat their car like an investment, so... there will be plenty of clean examples available for many years to come.

Supply and demand!

After 26 years in the guitar business, I've seen the same thing.

Jer

Well a 68 GT is worth more than it cost new. So they will go up they all do.

Well a 68 GT is worth more than it cost new. So they will go up they all do.

LOTS more variables. I'll be happy to elaborate, as willl many TS members, as time goes on.

Jer

LOTS more variables. I'll be happy to elaborate, as willl many TS members, as time goes on.

Jer

Well our 71 mach is insured for 38k and it was not 38k new as I have the invoice, I think it was around 3500 new if I remember right...

Trust me I am a bloodhound to the market, SGT's will go up as will any Mustang given enough time, surley you are not saying they won't?

Well our 71 mach is insured for 38k and it was not 38k new as I have the invoice, I think it was around 3500 new if I remember right...

Trust me I am a bloodhound to the market, SGT's will go up as will any Mustang given enough time, surley you are not saying they won't?

60's and 70's muscle cars are worth what they are because those of our generation are willing to pay that for them.

When today's kids are our age, are they going to be willing to pay anything for our cars??? :shrug:

That is the only thing that will determine the future value of these cars.

Odd is that it seems to me the more patina on a Shelby the more its worth if it has been beaten on in a responsible way...;@)

Funny you should use the word "PATINA" :hysterical:

As that is what I am going to use instead of "7SGT547" when it comes time to re-new my personalized tag here in KS :happy feet:

And I think you are right in that these cars were meant to be driven on a regular basis... Not beat on doing hole-shots and smokey burn-outs at every stop light...

But taken out to the Drag Strip, Road Course or any windy-twisty back road when you get the chance... Even participating in the Parade Laps if you aren't wanting to prep your car for the track...

Because the only real "value" these cars will have in the next 10-15 years or so, will be the memories and the 25,000 coast-to-coast miles I've driven during the past 5 years...

Not to say there won't be a "collectors" market for them in 20 years, but I've got another 15 years and 75,000 more miles to go before I'll start to worry about any significant increase in $$$ value...

OK, the 71 Mach 1 is insured for 38 K but what is the expected sale price? I had a 69 Mach 1 . Is your 71 mint condition? Could you sell it for 38K?

OK, the 71 Mach 1 is insured for 38 K but what is the expected sale price? I had a 69 Mach 1 . Is your 71 mint condition? Could you sell it for 38K?

Yes. It is a MCA concourse gold certified car, in the MCA registry as such. It is beyond mint, every and I mean every single nut and bolt and part is new or restrored on a rotissere and all of the unobtainium parts are on the car and mint. Like the Mach one specific carpet, not reproduction (there is no correct reproduction), but original and nice. How about the original not reproduction firewall pad... Original spare and inflating can. ETC...and on and on. It is correct not full of chinese reproduction parts if ya know what I mean. Down to the original Ford Flasher. The car was a very very correct original that had been stored for many years in the original condition by the original owner. It is about 99% concourse correct and fully documented from new with a Marti report. It is a brand new Mach 1 with 450 miles on the restoration. A trailered show car. Until we bought it that is. It is now a nice day driver. We are the third owners, last guy spent 9 years having it restored.

We paid a very premium price for it and it was worth every penny in my opinion. It is an exceptional car.Best part was I did not have to spend 9 years of my life moving it from shop to shop and dealing with the restoration.

edit: The expected sale price at this time is nothing, as it took about 5 years on and off to find this exact car, it was a gift to my wife for Valentine's Day. It's not for sale and really find another one...pretty difficult in this condition especially with all original panels and original paint on the inside floors and trunk etc even. As I bought it this last Feb, I believe the recent appraisial, my reciept from the purchase and the restoration reciepts would more than adequatley back up the insurance valuation.

That does not keep it from being driven. It was recently filmed as the main car in a rock movie for Duff McKagen's band Loaded. I did some burnouts and donuts for the flick in the car. And I drove it two days ago. We have put 300 miles on it in 8 months as there were some shake down issues in the car that I felt needed to be addressed for my wife to drive it. Show trailered cars are so correct it is stupid and some things like the 40 year old Ford flasher are now in a box, as is the original water pump, wheels and tires and a few other items, I did not like.

Yes. It is a MCA concourse gold certified car, in the MCA registry as such. It is beyond mint, every and I mean every single nut and bolt and part is new or restrored on a rotissere and all of the unobtainium parts are on the car and mint. Like the Mach one specific carpet, not reproduction (there is no correct reproduction), but original and nice. How about the original not reproduction firewall pad... Original spare and inflating can. ETC...and on and on. It is correct not full of chinese reproduction parts if ya know what I mean. Down to the original Ford Flasher. The car was a very very correct original that had been stored for many years in the original condition by the original owner. It is about 99% concourse correct and fully documented from new with a Marti report. It is a brand new Mach 1 with 450 miles on the restoration. A trailered show car. Until we bought it that is. It is now a nice day driver. We are the third owners, last guy spent 9 years having it restored.

We paid a very premium price for it and it was worth every penny in my opinion. It is an exceptional car.

Sounds cool!

Post a few pix!

Jer

My favorite part was the original 40 year old Ford brake light switch that sometimes worked sometimes did'nt, but for the show you cannot replace it with one that always works...:hysterical:

Thats in a box too...

My point Jer is if you give it time most special interest cars will appreciate, and the kids of today do notice our cars from what I can tell...my kid sure does.

Just like when I was a kid I noticed the Shelby I saw cruising around and the myriad of other cars I could not afford at the time.

The market will rise again for SGT's, you may be very old when it happens but it will. The Mach is now 40 years old. So in 2047 I bet my SGT will be worth more than it is now, if it survives that long.

Party on:

Very nice!

Jer

60's and 70's muscle cars are worth what they are because those of our generation are willing to pay that for them.

When today's kids are our age, are they going to be willing to pay anything for our cars??? :shrug:

That is the only thing that will determine the future value of these cars.

When this generation is older, and they yearn for the nostalgia of their youth, to include the cars they drove, their father's cars they didn't get to drive much or the cars they loved but couldn't afford is what will make these later model Shelby's collectible.

Well I'm not that optimistic about future values. As great and fun as these modern Shelbys are,

they are are still tributes to the collectable versions. But I'll be happy to be proven wrong many,

many smiles from now.

There is one caveat though, and it doesn't apply to just our cars. If the gov't CAFE plans come

true, then the price of buying new performance cars may climb higher than the rate of other cars.

Because either car companies will cut supply to make the average fleet mpg look better, or it will

spend more on technology to make more power with less fuel. I say "may" because if everyone buys

hybrids (or another mpg miser) as our daily drivers, then that would take the heat off the mpg

numbers for performance cars. Barring that, used sports/muscle cars in nice shape become

more valuable since they would be easier/cheaper to modify to make them as fast or faster than

new cars. Note that by more valuable I mean after it has depreciated for a while.

-Tom

Well I'm not that optimistic about future values. As great and fun as these modern Shelbys are,

they are are still tributes to the collectable versions. But I'll be happy to be proven wrong many,

many smiles from now.

There is one caveat though, and it doesn't apply to just our cars. If the gov't CAFE plans come

true, then the price of buying new performance cars may climb higher than the rate of other cars.

Because either car companies will cut supply to make the average fleet mpg look better, or it will

spend more on technology to make more power with less fuel. I say "may" because if everyone buys

hybrids (or another mpg miser) as our daily drivers, then that would take the heat off the mpg

numbers for performance cars. Barring that, used sports/muscle cars in nice shape become

more valuable since they would be easier/cheaper to modify to make them as fast or faster than

new cars. Note that by more valuable I mean after it has depreciated for a while.

-Tom

My guess, 50% more than a regular mustang GT. Which wont be a crazy amount.

The SGT being a pre-title Ford, ought to do better.

The SGTS will face a tougher crowd today in my eyes than in the future.

Ford gave Shelby mustangs in the 1960's and Shelby made the GT350.

Ford gave Shelby mustangs in '07 and '08 and Shelby made the Shelby GT.

Similar bumps in power, suspension, and looks.

In the future, people who were around to see the Shelby's of the 1960's when they were new wont be around.

It will be the young adults today that want a Shelby when they are up in age 60's

Finding a 2007 SGT in 50 years should be easy, finding a SGTS in 50 years - not so easy.

In terms of numbers there are roughly 6000 more Shelby GT cars than Shelby GTS, supply and demand? Who knows.

Well, yeah, I have to agree with that. Special cars (with official Shelby mods, from Vegas or other Mod Shops) may fetch an extra value.

But PLEASE, people who own these cars, DON'T lock them away! DRIVE THEM!!!

Jer

You bet!!! People would be missing out not to enjoy the thrill that is SHELBY!

Russ

If you look @ a 5K to 8K miles 03 Mustang Cobra 10th ann with no mods they are bringing $28K. New you could get them for $32 to $34K or Z- plan $31K. They only made 2003 of them. Go on youtube cause the terminator is still one of the fastest Mustangs of all time.That engine is bullet proof. That's one of the current Mustangs that is trending up in price. Youtube --------- 03-04 cobra compilation: FULL THROTTLE!!!!! PT:1----------

If you look @ a 5K to 8K miles 03 Mustang Cobra 10th ann with no mods they are bringing $28K. New you could get them for $32 to $34K or Z- plan $31K. They only made 2003 of them. Go on youtube cause the terminator is still one of the fastest Mustangs of all time.That engine is bullet proof. That's one of the current Mustangs that is trending up in price. Youtube --------- 03-04 cobra compilation: FULL THROTTLE!!!!! PT:1----------

cool!

Archived