TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2012 GT500 Brake Upgrade

Roush GR40

I am looking at a brake upgrade for my new GT500 to make it a bit more track worthy. Does anyone have any experience with AP Racing? I am looking at the AP4100 Big Brake Kit for the fronts (6 piston w/ 362mm rotors) and the AP4150 Big Brake Kit for the rears (4 piston w/ 330mm rotors). I have the SVTPP with 19" front wheels and 20" rear wheels. Will these brakes fit with stock wheels/tires? Any other issues/concerns/comments would be greatly appreciated.

I am looking at a brake upgrade for my new GT500 to make it a bit more track worthy. Does anyone have any experience with AP Racing? I am looking at the AP4100 Big Brake Kit for the fronts (6 piston w/ 362mm rotors) and the AP4150 Big Brake Kit for the rears (4 piston w/ 330mm rotors). I have the SVTPP with 19" front wheels and 20" rear wheels. Will these brakes fit with stock wheels/tires? Any other issues/concerns/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Have your tried some Hawk DTC pads for your Brembos yet? If you haven't you might be happy with just changing the pads

Have your tried some Hawk DTC pads for your Brembos yet? If you haven't you might be happy with just changing the pads

The DTC's work great...I have them on my race car. Although I'm sure the front Brembos will do fine, the rears seem a bit on the small side in comparison to other cars like the GT-R and Z06.

The DTC's work great...I have them on my race car. Although I'm sure the front Brembos will do fine, the rears seem a bit on the small side in comparison to other cars like the GT-R and Z06.

Why? The OE rears are good enough for Grand Am. If you are going after appearance, you're right; the rears do look small, particularly behind a 19inch or bigger wheel.

post-24566-0-66649800-1319822773_thumb.jpg

post-24566-0-66649800-1319822773_thumb.jpg

Why? The OE rears are good enough for Grand Am. If you are going after appearance, you're right; the rears do look small, particularly behind a 19inch or bigger wheel.

Although I have to admit I do not like the appearance of the rear brakes...for me it's more about braking performance. When I built my open track car I went with Griggs 4on4 brakes in the front and rear...wow what a difference! Thanks to the the way Griggs corrects all of the ill handling flaws of Mustangs, the rear brakes actually work and made an incredible difference in stopping distances. Just assumed that the rear upgrade to my GT500 would have a similar effect.

The 4on4 set-up is sweet. I'm torn between the Griggs GR40SS Super Street System, and the Cortex Xtreme-Grip package. Hoping to have one or the other added to the SGT next year.

I have the full Griggs setup on my open track car (2002 Roush Stage 3)...SLA in the front, Watts link in the rear and 4on4 brakes. Here's a link to some video from my last event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf-1V4ZOuNU

Archived