TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby American 50th Caravan & Meet-up

JeffIsHereToo

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok...so right now my plan is to leave AR on Sunday and drive to Tulsa. I'll stay overnight in Tulsa and then, depending upon weather, get on 40 and drive to Albuquerque. Stay overnight there. Then drive onward on 40 to 93 and onward to Vegas. This is the "good weather" route. If there is bad weather or road conditions I'll go south. I think I'll then leave again on Sunday, but travel south to Ft. Worth. Then go Rt. 20 to Rt.10 and then take Rt 10 across. My issue with this route is where to stop 1/2 way for sleep. There is NO WAY I will stop overnight anywhere near Ciudad Juarez...NO WAY. So I'm hoping for good weather...either that or we'll need to have lots of people together and have a "watch bill" to keep tabs on the cars.

There will be (1 SGT & 2 GT-H's) leaving Tulsa Monday morning and heading south. We most likely will go to Las Cruces for Monday night stay. Look forward to joining up with the caravan. As we get closer to March we can post cell phone #'s ect.

So...Red Roof...ABQ for the night.....I think that's about right! So I was thinking of leaving Tulsa Monday AM so are we saying we would stay there Monday evening? I'll be going 40 if the weather has been and is good. No roads with snow on the sides and salt everywhere for me thanks.

I'll leave earlier if needed and take the southern route Rt I-10 and be staying south of ABQ in a safe undisclosed location. ;-)

So...Red Roof...ABQ for the night.....I thin that's about right! So I was thinking of leaving Tulsa Monday AM so are we saying we would stay there Monday evening? I'll be going 40 if the weather has been and is good. No roads with snow on the sides and salt everywhere for me thanks.

I'll leave earlier if needed and take the southern route Rt I-10 and be staying south of ABQ in a safe undisclosed location. ;-)

I'm planning to leave KC at 6am on Monday the 12th... Weather permitting we should be in ABQ around 6-7pm... If there are any forecast or actual BAD weather conditions that would cause me to change my plans, I will post them up as soon as I know... Otherwise, it will probably take a Winter Storm Warning somewhere along US-54 in KS or I-40 west of Tucumcari to cause me any issues...

Wicked

Where did you stay in Las Cruces?

Not sure he'll see this so you might want to send Michael a PM and post what he replies with. I'm growing more and more comfortable with the southern drive so if weather demands it I'm sure it will be fine. Based upon the weather so far we should be fine but then again winter still has a LONG way to go and could come back with a vengeance soon enough! I'm staying flexible.

• 2 weeks later...

Myself and two other couples will be leaving Longview, Texas Monday morning and meeting up with Springer in Dallas and heading west to I-40 if weather permits. I-10 if weather turns bad. We don't know if we an make ALBQ,NM. first night but will make every effort. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Good to know! Thanks Michael!

Are you not going? If not you're going to be missed!

I'll be there Jeff, but the current plan is to fly directly to LV on Wednesday....

here is the hotel in Las Cruces info.....

La Quinta Inn & Suites, Las Cruces Organ Mountain

1500 Hickory Drive, Las Cruces, NM 88005

(575) 523-0100 @ $52 per night/Waffles/Continental

And what is the address of the Red roof? Is it on 25 north of 40? This is the one I found...

1635 Candelaria Road Northeast

Albuquerque, NM

(505) 344-5311

That's the one... And I do plan on departing at 6am on Tuesday Morning... Should have us arriving in LSV sometime around 4-5pm...

Guessing you aren't cruising on to Gardena?

Nope, not this year... I've done it a couple of times in the past... But since nothing much has changed with the starting location or the route, then there isn't much "new" for me to see this year...

But I will be heading over to Baker, CA on Wed AM to meet up with the group as it makes it way over to Las Vegas...

Nope, not this year... I've done it a couple of times in the past... But since nothing much has changed with the starting location or the route, then there isn't much "new" for me to see this year...

But I will be heading over to Baker, CA on Wed AM to meet up with the group as it makes it way over to Las Vegas...

That's right I remember you saying that... I'm going to continue on. Never been to Gardena and it will complete my cross-country trip to go from the Atlantic to the Pacific.

Let the Gumball Rally begin!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok...gut check!

We are almost 4 weeks out and based upon the warm weather thus far I'm thinking, unless something changes, a northern direct route might be the best way. That means I will drive to Tulsa on Sunday and leave from there first thing Monday AM...probably before the sun comes up to beat traffic, if needed, out of the city. Anyone else intending to leave out of the Tulsa area or along Rt. 40 that can join in along the way? I have an application on my iPhone that can transmit location, speed, etc., to a web page. I can post the URL here later and maybe we can use that and phone calls to coordinate along the way?

Anyone want to take the lead on the southern RT 10 route? Maybe we can all meet in Flagstaff and drive as one Southern Plains group?

-Jeff

Ok...gut check!

We are almost 4 weeks out and based upon the warm weather thus far I'm thinking, unless something changes, a northern direct route might be the best way. That means I will drive to Tulsa on Sunday and leave from there first thing Monday AM...probably before the sun comes up to beat traffic, if needed, out of the city. Anyone else intending to leave out of the Tulsa area or along Rt. 40 that can join in along the way? I have an application on my iPhone that can transmit location, speed, etc., to a web page. I can post the URL here later and maybe we can use that and phone calls to coordinate along the way?

Anyone want to take the lead on the southern RT 10 route? Maybe we can all meet in Flagstaff and drive as one Southern Plains group?

-Jeff

Jeff

I know of three (1 SGT, 2 GT-H's) that will be meeting in Sand Springs to leave Monday am probably around 6am. We have a reservation for Monday night in Las Cruces as well as one in Albuquerque. Our preference would be to go I-40 but we don't want to take any chances weather wise.

John

John,

Where will you be staying in Las Cruces if you come the southern route? I will be leaving San Antonio on Monday morning and plan to stop there and than stop again in Kingman on Tuesday night, and on into Vegas on Wednesday morning. I will be driving with my wife in the "KR". I would like to join up with you guys if possible. I to have been watching the weather, and it looks like a front is moving west to east every 3 or 4 days, and it travels along I-40. The "KR" does not like wet and snow is a big no-no. Let me know what you decide.

Tom

John,

Where will you be staying in Las Cruces if you come the southern route? I will be leaving San Antonio on Monday morning and plan to stop there and than stop again in Kingman on Tuesday night, and on into Vegas on Wednesday morning. I will be driving with my wife in the "KR". I would like to join up with you guys if possible. I to have been watching the weather, and it looks like a front is moving west to east every 3 or 4 days, and it travels along I-40. The "KR" does not like wet and snow is a big no-no. Let me know what you decide.

Tom

Tom

If we go the southern route we will be staying at the Drury Inn, 1631 Hickory Loop. Phone is 575-523-4100. We plan on driving into Vegas Tuesday night.

John

• 2 weeks later...

And what is the address of the Red roof? Is it on 25 north of 40? This is the one I found...

1635 Candelaria Road Northeast

Albuquerque, NM

(505) 344-5311

For those stopping in ABQ for the night, here is a 15% off code from Red Roof Inn...

To celebrate St. Patrick's Day, we're offering 15% off most Red Roof locations between March 14 and March 30, 2012.¹

It's the perfect week to enjoy "the luck of the Irish" with a clean, comfortable and especially affordable stay!

Simply use VP+®/Promo Code 604921 when making your reservations at redroof.com or call 800.RED.ROOF (800.733.7663).

For those stopping in ABQ for the night, here is a 15% off code from Red Roof Inn...

To celebrate St. Patrick's Day, we're offering 15% off most Red Roof locations between March 14 and March 30, 2012.¹

It's the perfect week to enjoy "the luck of the Irish" with a clean, comfortable and especially affordable stay!

Simply use VP+®/Promo Code 604921 when making your reservations at redroof.com or call 800.RED.ROOF (800.733.7663).

Made my reservation! Hoping we have good weather up north!

The weather is looking pretty promising at this point for travels on I40. It seems you guys departing Tulsa will make Amarillo around 1130-1200. I think if I leave here around 730-8am on Monday, I should be able to pick you guys up around the same time.

What about you Texas folks? Do you guys plan on getting on 40 at Amarillo?

If anyone wants to give me a shout do so. (580) 695-2293.

My wife and I are keeping our fingers crossed on the weather. So far, so good. We plan to pick up I40 in Amarillo, but we will be a day ahead of most as we are leaving on Sunday the 11th.

I'm headed out on Sunday as well and will be taking I40. I assume you will be going thru Wichita Falls as well. Depending on your timing I would be willing to meet up for the ride out.

as far as channel, we will figure that out.

I will be headed west from Lawton til US-287 at Memphis, Texas. From there 287 to I-40 at Amarillo, Tx. Once on I-40 we are stopping at Albuquerque, NM for the night. Then on to Vegas on Tues. We plan on leaving out Monday morning at around 8AM, which should put us in Amarillo around noon.

If anyone is interested, we are going to stop at the Grand Canyon on the way home Sunday and stay in Flagstaff, AZ Sunday night before going home.

Archived