TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby American 50th Caravan & Meet-up

JeffIsHereToo

The Shelby American 50th Anniversary Celebration in Las Vegas is March 14th-17th!

I'm driving my car…for once…and wanted to begin a discussion around setting up a cruise or at least a list of who might be going so we an drive together or at least meet up once there!

For me, in NWA, I'm thinking it will be a day and a half drive with gas and a few hours sleep on and off. Maybe leave the afternoon of the 12th? The route looks pretty clear cut and a straight shot across. Anyone else done this before and have any advice?

:shift:

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are in Jeff. I-40 cruise to Vegas 2012.

We have driven it twice, first time we stopped in Albuquerque, then drove to Vegas. (9hr/7hr). The second we stopped in Flagstaff, then on to Vegas (12hr/4hr)

We could join you at Amarillo, which is where we get on I40. You could possibly stay at OKC, the night before we meet up and it would allow a great meeting point for us at Amarillo, what you think? My recommendation is to stop at one of the above places to sleep and head on in to Vegas on the 13th. I know this will put you leaving on the 11th, would that be a problem?

Maybe we can get John Albani and Rick Ryckman to join us, possibly Mike Stacy and Scott Laster too.

I've driven out all 4 times... Usually pick up I-40 at Tucumcari, after driving out Hwy 54 west thru Wichita... Also stop for the night in ABQ at a Red Roof just near the I-25 intetchange... Not sure which day I am leavimg KC, but it always is a two-day drive for me...

I can fly for $400 round trip and rent a Mustang GT for $800 and the hotel will be another $600or so. Lauren adds another $400 and Andrew would add yet another $400 in airfare. So looking at somewhere around $2800! :spend::drop:

I can drive (2732 miles) at 25mpg and $3.50 a gallon for about $400, hotel will be the same but add a holiday inn (or whatever) out there and one on the way back at $100 each and I save about $600 for not having to rent a car. About $1400 total - half price! I can drive thru El Paso and meet up with Brad and head up to Abq and we can all drive out together. I like this option a little better.

Can I get my car ready in time? :shift: Thats the question......

My drive from Vancouver WA would be about 17 hrs 3 mins / 1002.48 miles going US-95. So if I get about 18 MPG in my GT500 I would use about 55 gallons at about $3.50 per gallon would be about $200 bucks each way. I would have to stay in a motel one night on the way down and on the way back. So that is a total of 4 days of travel time and vacation time needed to be taken. It's a 2 hour flight for Tana and I.

I need to think it over.

If I was retired.....I would drive it for sure.

Jeff

My wife and I will be heading to Las Vegas from Sand Springs. I think the route you have is the shortest and fastest. The problem will be if bad weather hits west of Albuquerque you are forced to go South to Las Cruces and west which might add another days driving time.

Here's the route the Google gives me from NWA.

Is there a better one? Who else in along this route?

I can fly for $400 round trip and rent a Mustang GT for $800 and the hotel will be another $600or so. Lauren adds another $400 and Andrew would add yet another $400 in airfare. So looking at somewhere around $2800! :spend::drop:

I can drive (2732 miles) at 25mpg and $3.50 a gallon for about $400, hotel will be the same but add a holiday inn (or whatever) out there and one on the way back at $100 each and I save about $600 for not having to rent a car. About $1400 total - half price! I can drive thru El Paso and meet up with Brad and head up to Abq and we can all drive out together. I like this option a little better.

Keep me posted if you still want to pass though "the pass". I was looking at going through Phoenix, 716 miles (11 hours 15 minutes) versus Albuquerque, 832 miles (12 hours 31 minutes) according to Yahoo. It would keep us as far south as long as possible, Flagstaff gets some crazy weather. I'm working on getting some of the locals together too.

if me lovely wife and i drive out we would take and go down 56 to elkhart ks and thru Las Vegas NM and see my sister and over to Abq and take the 40 route like most of you all :shoppingcart_:

i would probably leave sunday am early and be in ABQ sunday nite or monday AM

We would be coming thru El Paso prolly to Phoenix and up. Tried going thru Albequerque in April on the way home with the new 40th spring of 2010 and ended up in a hugh snowstorm in Flagstaff with a dust storm on the other side of ABQ so bailed out on whatever interstate that was down to Phoenix..

May consider going to LA to do the run.

Are you bringing your cobra? Sharon said Verts won't be allowed on the track without a roll cage. I bet the same holds true for the Cobra. :finger:

Are you bringing your cobra? Sharon said Verts won't be allowed on the track without a roll cage. I bet the same holds true for the Cobra. :finger:

Ken, I know we shared a few frosty, fermented beverages in Dearborn, but if I told you I have a Cobra I was lying my a$$ off :hysterical: I've just got a lowly SGT and a garage full of mods for it. Can I make it all happen in time is the question....

My drive from Vancouver WA would be about 17 hrs 3 mins / 1002.48 miles going US-95. So if I get about 18 MPG in my GT500 I would use about 55 gallons at about $3.50 per gallon would be about $200 bucks each way. I would have to stay in a motel one night on the way down and on the way back. So that is a total of 4 days of travel time and vacation time needed to be taken. It's a 2 hour flight for Tana and I.

I need to think it over.

If I was retired.....I would drive it for sure.

I want to know where you can find 91 @ $3.50 per gallon.... Not in Cali :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Dan

Ken, I know we shared a few frosty, fermented beverages in Dearborn, but if I told you I have a Cobra I was lying my a$$ off :hysterical: I've just got a lowly SGT and a garage full of mods for it. Can I make it all happen in time is the question....

Look at "Vehicle Owned", on the left side. Yours says cobra. :hysterical:

We need to tip a few more. :hysterical:

I want to know where you can find 91 @ $3.50 per gallon.... Not in Cali :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Dan

$3.29 here in San Antonio for 93 octane at Sam's Club. $3.31 at the national places (Exxon, Shell, Valero, etc).

Dan, your ploblem is that your in Cali. Come to Texas and pay no state income tax, have cheap gas & buy a mansion for what you sell you west coast house for. :sing_rain: Of course you'd better like 100 degree days from March until October and of course it hasnt rained here for decades. :tumbleweed:

$3.29 here in San Antonio for 93 octane at Sam's Club. $3.31 at the national places (Exxon, Shell, Valero, etc).

Dan, your ploblem is that your in Cali. Come to Texas and pay no state income tax, have cheap gas & buy a mansion for what you sell you west coast house for. :sing_rain: Of course you'd better like 100 degree days from March until October and of course it hasnt rained here for decades. :tumbleweed:

When I was in Augusta earlier this month I saw super for $3.29 also and thought we are getting :censored: back home. :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

I though about Texas when I retire, but I'd prefer for a more cooler climate. Who knows, by that time the drought may be over... :sing_rain:

Dan

Anyone going through phoenix just let me know. The route to vegas US 93 goes right by my house. Maybe we could meet up around surprise az which is just north west of phoenix. then straight shot to kingman. Maybe we could plan to meet with all the guys coming out I-40 and meet in Kingman. Then all caravan into vegas! :happy feet:

I'm cruising from NJ. Driving south and picking up I-40 to Vegas. What day/ time might you meet in Kingman? Working on getting others from Northeast Region to drive too.

Not exactly sure what day yet. Probably when others might meet in kingman. Possibly wednesday morning.

:hysterical2: .............. frosty, fermented beverages....... not much of those consumed.

I'm cruising from NJ. Driving south and picking up I-40 to Vegas. What day/ time might you meet in Kingman? Working on getting others from Northeast Region to drive too.

NICE............... way to go gator :worship:

Archived