TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby American 50th Caravan & Meet-up

JeffIsHereToo

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting idea! The more the merrier!

You need to leave time to cruise into Gardena for the return cruise back to Vegas. If you've never cruised from Vegas to Gardena and back it's spectacular. The views of the mountains coming off the high plains. :worship:

Hi Everyone,

I guess it's time to take the KR on a real road trip. I guess I will be the newbie as this will be my first Bash (good one to attend). I will watch and see what the group is planning and will make plans to leave with the group from the San Antonio area and feel the southern route would be the best way. Now all I need to know is when we will be leaving. Been that I am retired I can leave anytime. After the bash, the wife and I may take some side trips while out that way. Just depends on the weather in that area, the KR does not like white or wet roads, that's why it lives in south Texas. Look forward to meeting everyone and having a great time. I did do the Mustangs Arcoss America for the 45th, but picked the group up in Dallas when they on had 400 cars in the cruise to Birmingham. But by the time we did arrive in B'ham it had grown to over 600 cars traveling down I-20. What a sight and great fun. Can't wait to do it with a bunch of Shelbys. So I guess I'm saying, " count my wife and I in"............................

Tom B.

Hi Everyone,

I guess it's time to take the KR on a real road trip. I guess I will be the newbie as this will be my first Bash (good one to attend). I will watch and see what the group is planning and will make plans to leave with the group from the San Antonio area and feel the southern route would be the best way. Now all I need to know is when we will be leaving. Been that I am retired I can leave anytime. After the bash, the wife and I may take some side trips while out that way. Just depends on the weather in that area, the KR does not like white or wet roads, that's why it lives in south Texas. Look forward to meeting everyone and having a great time. I did do the Mustangs Arcoss America for the 45th, but picked the group up in Dallas when they on had 400 cars in the cruise to Birmingham. But by the time we did arrive in B'ham it had grown to over 600 cars traveling down I-20. What a sight and great fun. Can't wait to do it with a bunch of Shelbys. So I guess I'm saying, " count my wife and I in"............................

Tom B.

:happy feet:

I'm determined to see Mr. Shelby... :superhero:

And if I'm really lucky he'll come to us here on the East coast for Carlisle or NYC Auto show. :dance:

You and me both, brother!!! :happy feet: :happy feet:

Wouldn't it be awesome if Mr. Shelby made more than just one of the events you mentioned??? :banvictory::banvictory:

I need to seriously consider this.... The only thing I can think of holding me back is that I'm expecting my second daughter any day now and the Mrs. may not give me a hall pass so soon after.

Meeting in Amarillo is a real possibility while dropping the wife and kids off in Lubbock to see Family.

I'm going back and forth with that one….we'll see as we get closer!

:shift:

I'm out here in Vegas and had a chat with Jer. He thinks it might be unneeded wear and tear on our cars and rumps. We will be doing a lot of cruising around here in Nevada. So I'm starting to waffle on going to Gardena too... :confused:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I am getting ready to buy my Shelby package, and book my room. I would like to know who will be driving out to Vegas, and start making travel plans. I was planning on leaving San Antonio on Monday morning and heading west on I-10. I was looking at a two day trip to Vegas. Need to know who would like to cruise along and start talking about where we will stop along the way. I would like to arrive in Vegas on Wednesday afternoon, and plan to leave either Saturday or Sunday for the return trip. If the weather is good I would like to return by a different route, but the "KR" does not like a lot of wet roads and snow is a no go. I am going to AAA and have them make me a trip map just to use as a reference so I will know where the delays will be and try to pin point where would be good places to stop for the night.

I am open to anyone input, as this will be my first road trip to Vegas and the Bash. I know this will be a lot of fun, and if we plan early thing should go great. As everyone know's the "KR's" are not great on gas, so planning our stops will be a must.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone.

Tom

SVTCowboy

We plan to take the RV and haul the Shelby...wont be breaking any speed records getting there, but we are happy to have anyone join us and maybe swap out some time in the RV to stretch your legs on the way there and back...

Well, I purchased my Shelby package yesterday and got my room set up at South Point for our stay. After looking over my maps, I have decide that the wife and I will leave San Antonio on Monday, 12 March and travel to Las Cruces the first day, that on west on I-10 to Phoenix, than north on 93 to Kingman for the night of the 13th. So that way we should be in Las Vegas by middle day the 14th. This should make for an easy drive and we ready for the fun once we get to Vegas. If anyone along the way would like to met up, contact me here or call me (210-685-1612) and we can work out a good time and place to meet. Really am looking forward to the bash which will be our first. Plan to leave for our return sometime on Saturday, but not sure what time yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok...so right now my plan is to leave AR on Sunday and drive to Tulsa. I'll stay overnight in Tulsa and then, depending upon weather, get on 40 and drive to Albuquerque. Stay overnight there. Then drive onward on 40 to 93 and onward to Vegas. This is the "good weather" route. If there is bad weather or road conditions I'll go south. I think I'll then leave again on Sunday, but travel south to Ft. Worth. Then go Rt. 20 to Rt.10 and then take Rt 10 across. My issue with this route is where to stop 1/2 way for sleep. There is NO WAY I will stop overnight anywhere near Ciudad Juarez...NO WAY. So I'm hoping for good weather...either that or we'll need to have lots of people together and have a "watch bill" to keep tabs on the cars.

El Paso up by the university is good. West Tx is ok. Las Cruces is ok. Cant remember the hotel but had a double decker parking lot. We parked on the roof and could see it thru some windows. Could be Hilton Garden Inn.

Good to know! Hoping we have a favorable weather though drive time wise. I think 10 would be a more interesting ride but 40 will be MUCH faster. I'll just have to be ready to adjust departure I guess!

Ok...so right now my plan is to leave AR on Sunday and drive to Tulsa. I'll stay overnight in Tulsa and then, depending upon weather, get on 40 and drive to Albuquerque. Stay overnight there. Then drive onward on 40 to 93 and onward to Vegas. This is the "good weather" route. If there is bad weather or road conditions I'll go south. I think I'll then leave again on Sunday, but travel south to Ft. Worth. Then go Rt. 20 to Rt.10 and then take Rt 10 across. My issue with this route is where to stop 1/2 way for sleep. There is NO WAY I will stop overnight anywhere near Ciudad Juarez...NO WAY. So I'm hoping for good weather...either that or we'll need to have lots of people together and have a "watch bill" to keep tabs on the cars.

What's the matter Jeff? Don't you think the chief of police in Juarez would look nice driving a Shelby GT :shift: ...lol

I don't blame you, El Paso is a dump. (Sorry if I offend any El Paso residents but I've had nothing but bad luck there)

Dan

FYI, that dump has one of the lowest crime rates in the US....just so you know. Just 18 murders last year.

http://reason.com/archives/2009/07/06/the-el-paso-miracle

That is the best article about it, but from 2009. It is still at the top of the list the last 2 years too. The articles are like one liners from the last couple years though.

Trigger happy residents make a city and state very safe and manners are much better as well. Either that, or the corrupt police in El Paso force the criminals to drag the victims to the other side of the border before dispatching them.

Archived