TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Who Knew the UAW Could Be So Informative?

EL SHELBY

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome, finally the UAW was useful. Not meant to be a slap to the hard working folks at Ford, just union leadership. The reason I bought my 2010 GT500 was to help keep them working when things were looking iffy for the auto industry. I just don't want to see the UAW put automakers in a position where they can't be competitive globally.

The 2013 is going to be a beast! :)

the GT500 needs traction help power is already there so hopefully Ford will add some of the secret sauce to the traction control and give you more options in fitting bigger tires on the rear. I'd imagine the track key idea will carry over into the GT500 this year might be part of the performance pack,

Three things to note here:

1) That is not any old GT500 used in the image but a SS, mistake or somebody paying homage to the car?

2) The ZL1 has clearly thrown down the gauntlet at Nurburgring and it should be interesting to see what the new GT500 can answer with.

3) And last "Ford's latest contract with the UAW reveals that its Romeo Engine Assembly Plant will receive a $50 million investment to build the 5.8L supercharged mill." That is a lot of money to throw down on a car that is going to have a two year run of what 10-12k cars so the question is what else will the 5.8 crop up in?

3) And last "Ford's latest contract with the UAW reveals that its Romeo Engine Assembly Plant will receive a $50 million investment to build the 5.8L supercharged mill." That is a lot of money to throw down on a car that is going to have a two year run of what 10-12k cars so the question is what else will the 5.8 crop up in?

Return of the Boss 351 (5.8L motor)? How about New Mach 1 with a 5.8 N/A motor? They procuced a lot of 69-73 Mach 1's with 351 (or 5.8L) engines under the hoods.

p63633_image_large.jpg

1) That is not any old GT500 used in the image but a SS, mistake or somebody paying homage to the car?

I don't see a Super Snake in any of the links in this thread, which one are you referring to?

I was hoping for a Boss 351 but rumor is it is not going to happen, however the same person that said the Boss 351 is not on the table said a Mach 1 with a N/A 351 might be.

The picture Autoblog used for the article here http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/05/uaw-contract-confirms-larger-5-8l-v8-for-gt500/ has the SS, I thought the El Shelby linked that article and not the Mustang Daily version; hey it was late my bad.

Some more thoughts:

Will the new 5.8 bring back the gas guzzler tax for the GT500 (I hope not)

Shelby managed to get 605-660 HP out of the 5.4 and a TVS for the Super Snake package so I would think getting a modest 600hp from the 5.4 should have been well within reach if Ford had just gone with a TVS. Instead Ford bumped the displacement up and added the TVS so I wonder what that combination will be capable of with just a tune, not to mention the potential when using the 2.8L or 3.6L superchargers, or for that matter the 4.2L for those who really like to play.

Of course that brings up the next question/concern, has Ford addressed the traction issue, the ZL1 is packing 11" rims with 305's on the rear from the factory.

1) <SNIP>

2) The ZL1 has clearly thrown down the gauntlet at Nurburgring and it should be interesting to see what the new GT500 can answer with.

3) <SNIP>

Every Ford Dealer and Ford (management) employee I've every talked to says the Corvette is NOT the platform that Ford is "competing" against with the GT500. They are two distinctly different classes of cars.

The 'Vette is a 2-seater "Sports Car". The GT500 is a 4-seater "Retro Muscle Car", just like the (Chevrolet) Camaro and the (Dodge) Challenger/Charger/whatever....

Everyone keeps saying "the 'Vette will have XXX HP so the GT500 will need YYY HP to beat it". You're climbing up the wrong tree.

It's the CAMARO that the GT500 will have more HP than. I was already told that the 2013 w/5.8L engine WILL HAVE LESS HP THAN THE 'VETTE ("just shy of 600HP"), but *slightly* more than the Camaro. The Camaro is reported to be coming out with a 580HP engine so expect something like 590HP in the GT500. I say 590 vs 585 because if you notice, the GT500 has never had a "5" at the end of their HP ratings. 500HP ('07-'09 GT500), 540HP ('08, '09 KR and '10 GT500) and 550HP for the 2011/12 GT500 (etc.)

People need to stop comparing the Shelby Mustang to the Corvette. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME CLASS OF VEHICLE!!!

Phill

ZL1 = Camaro

ZR1 = Corvette

Ah, my bad. I keep thinkin' the Zx1 is the Corvette. I'm not a "'Vette guy" (well, least not the late model ones) and it shows!

I didn't even know they had a "Z" model Camaro. I always figured they'd bring out the Z-28 if they were going to bring out a Z model or a "L" model if they were going to make a Hi-po Camaro.

In fact.......wasn't the BIG talk about Chevy bringing out a hi-po Z-28 model to compete with the GT500? (which would make sense in a "retro" kind of way).

Sorry 'bout that Chief,

Phill Pollard (showing my age)

Who mention the corvette in this thread? :headscratch:

I'll shut up and go back to my corner now!

Where's that pointy hat?

Phill

If that is true and I hope it is then no engine mods for me------will go up for sale or will trade it when orders for the new one start being accepted by Ford. This is great news!! Kind of a shame to see the 5.4 die but bigger is better!!

I'll shut up and go back to my corner now!

Where's that pointy hat?

Phill

Phill don't feel bad most of the time I call the Camaro the ZR1 and I think my son wants to choke me every time I say that, I think the only thing that has saved me so far is I keep telling him I'm old to cut me a little slack already.

In fact.......wasn't the BIG talk about Chevy bringing out a hi-po Z-28 model to compete with the GT500? (which would make sense in a "retro" kind of way).

There was talk of that, but none of it was from anyone official. It was a fairly realistic assumption that it would be called the Z28, but lots of people weren't happy with that. There were forum equivalents of fist fights over whether it should be called Z28 or ZL1. I'm personally glad it ended the way it did.

The Z28 should be a competitor for the Boss.

There was talk of that, but none of it was from anyone official. It was a fairly realistic assumption that it would be called the Z28, but lots of people weren't happy with that. There were forum equivalents of fist fights over whether it should be called Z28 or ZL1. I'm personally glad it ended the way it did.

The Z28 should be a competitor for the Boss.

Agreed, History says so! :)

So no 620HP damn. I was hoping for bout 700HP with minor mods (pulley- tune) Guess I'm gonna have to settle for 670HP maybe. Hope it's enough Hahahaha. Yeah it's enough to just sit and spin the tires and watch the smoke but without traction we are in the same boat. Woopeee.

Well, I'll have a nice 2012 for sale if the 2013 comes out with the 5.8L SC.

It's all but been confirmed. UAW votes on Friday (today?) and it should be ratified with their vote....unless they're REALLY stupid and don't want a job. And in THIS economy, I don't see that happening.

The *only^ question now is, *which* SC are they going to use. I was told it "probably isn't the 2.3L TVS" but he wasn't sure. He said they can achieve 580-590HP without a TVS and if you notice, they don't make a TVS for the 2011 and newer GT5's because the computers aren't "compatible"....which could be code for, "we don't want you to put a TVS on your car and have the same base HP we'll be selling in 2013". OR, it could mean, " A TVS won't work on the new computer systems!".

Shelby also stopped putting the 2.3L TVS on the Super Snake. But then, if they did and the TVS turns out to be the stock SC for a GT500, how "Super" would a Super Snake be while using the same STOCK supercharger as the 2013 GT500 uses????? That and a TVS was making 630-660HP on a GT500 and we already know that the 2013 will be in the 580-590HP range (i.e. a TVS puts out too much).

Right now, it's a guessing game.

Phill

Dude - "computer's aren't compatible" = give me a break, It's a blower. The computer has no clue what blower is on the car. It just meters air/fuel and responds as needed. Boost is boost. Want a TVS for your 11+?

http://www.lethalperformance.com/2011-shelby-gt500-supercharger-upgrades-vmp-tuning-tvs-c-8485_8752_10527/vmp-tuning-07-2011-shelby-gt500-tvs-supercharger-upgrade-p-35220

There.

Archived