TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2012 Shelby GT350 Convertible 624HP from WINDING ROAD Magazine

2012 Shelby GT350 Convertible 624HP from WINDING ROAD Magazine

<br>

<br>

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qzuCEkA1vKY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<br>

<br>

Fleet manager Brandon Turkus was the lucky duck that got the first Winding Road ride in the Shelby GT350 this time around. He drove down to Ford HQ in Dearborn, Michigan to pick the monster convertible up, and returned to Ypsilanti with a face-bursting smile on his mug.

<br>

<br>

“Seriously, this is the most fun driving a car that I’ve had since the Ferrari 458 Italia,” crowed a bemused Turkus.

<br>

<br>

With a mind-boggling 624 horsepower on tap, and not having had our first steer yet, we were hardly in a position to argue. But, having since driven (or at least held on to) the roaring Shelby, we feel comfortable saying that, while Brandon’s comment was spiritually correct, his comparison with the 458 painted the wrong picture of the GT350 experience.

<br>

<br>

See, both the Shelby and the Ferrari are fast—that is without question—but driving the Italia at speed is a bit like creating art on the road, while driving the GT350 is more like taking someone’s virginity. In their parents’ bedroom. With the lights on. So, while both cars are, to put it blandly, fun, the Shelby experience is far more tawdry, dirty, and chest-swelling than that of the stunning Italian.

<br>

<br>

Yep, we like this Mustang.

<br>

<br>

We like it in the way that we can’t help liking other examples of too-good-to-hate, wretched excess. Maple bacon donuts. Christina Hendricks in seven-inch heels. And 600-horsepower pony cars, with convertible roofs, racing suspensions, and twin tailpipes as loud as Jimmy Page in a subway tunnel.

<br>

<br>

If we’re honest, saying that we like the GT350 is as little surprising to us as it probably is for you to read. READ MORE HERE.

Sounds like quite an animal to me. And all things considered not too expensive. I don't know what I'd do with 625 HP on the street though. When I was younger I guess I'd think of a few things. :)

The note on my car says:

It is too loud, too fast and too expensive;

And I am too old to care!

Archived