TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The latest rumour

I am calling Shennanigans, at least for the 2013 going turbo. That is reportedly in the cards for 2014 on the new design, but on the latest vids of the GT500s testing on the 'Ring, you can clearly hear the blower whine of the red car lapping.

Listen at ~40 seconds or so in this vid.

http://www.insideline.com/ford/mustang/2013/videos/2013_ford_mustang_ss_62211.html

Don't get me wrong, I would rather see a turbo 5.4 in 2013, just so I could pick up the OEM turbo set up, but I just don't see it happening. I would love to be wrong though :)

I am calling Shennanigans, at least for the 2013 going turbo. That is reportedly in the cards for 2014 on the new design, but on the latest vids of the GT500s testing on the 'Ring, you can clearly hear the blower whine of the red car lapping.

Listen at ~40 seconds or so in this vid.

http://www.insideline.com/ford/mustang/2013/videos/2013_ford_mustang_ss_62211.html

Don't get me wrong, I would rather see a turbo 5.4 in 2013, just so I could pick up the OEM turbo set up, but I just don't see it happening. I would love to be wrong though :)

I think you're right, not likely to see any turbo car or major changes until 2014. I think Ford will just up the horsepower in the current car for 2013 to be higher than the ZL1 and then put out a new car for the 2014 model year.

Makes ZERO sense. You don't go to an aluminum 5.4 and all the R&D on it just for 2 model years.

They may possibly have a TT in one of the test cars just to see how it runs but I'm sure they would hold something like that back for the redesign in 2014.

Makes ZERO sense. You don't go to an aluminum 5.4 and all the R&D on it just for 2 model years.

They may possibly have a TT in one of the test cars just to see how it runs but I'm sure they would hold something like that back for the redesign in 2014.

+1. A simple swap of the current blower for the TVS will give Ford the hp bump needed to stay ahead of the Camaro ZL1. If indeed 2013 is the last year of the current generation Mustang, it doesn't make sense to develop an entirely new engine for that one year only. Better bring it then in 2014..

+1. A simple swap of the current blower for the TVS will give Ford the hp bump needed to stay ahead of the Camaro ZL1. If indeed 2013 is the last year of the current generation Mustang, it doesn't make sense to develop an entirely new engine for that one year only. Better bring it then in 2014..

'14 is gonna be a huge deal for FORD and the Mustang...you can 'bet on it' that they are holding nothing back on this one, what with an all new body car coinciding with the 50th anniv. of the original pony car to boot!!

:happy feet:

If they don't make the biggest splash with this...shame on 'em. Now......will the car appeal to the current Mustang faithful? Or...will it be too re-designed, and attract the tuner crowd? There inlies the bigger question.

The ONLY thing that report got right was the 5.8. My guess (and this is strictly a guess) is that the 2013 GT500 will be getting the 5.8 more because it will help iron out issues before the 2014 5.8 Mach 1. (Again, just my guess)

I have heard the 2015 will be the REAL change for Mustang. That makes better sense because it will in fact be 2014 when the 2015s hit the street. (and the 2015 is the REAL 50th anyway)

However it turns out, we have exciting times ahead of us as Mustang owners and fans. Nascar in a few years, the 50th, and something I keep hearing rumblings about that will be something totally new and fresh....cant wait! Wish I was privy to more information though. At least then I would have an idea how much money I need to hide from my wife to buy all these cool cars!

Most guys dream about getting a mistress and renting her an apartment-

I dream about getting cars and renting a climate controlled storage room to put them in! :hysterical:

I dream about getting cars and renting a climate controlled storage room to put them in! :hysterical:

Arron Spelling's former home was just sold by Candy Spelling (Arron's widow).

It is reported to be THE most expensive private home in the world. It sold for $150M (150 MILLION US Dollars).

I don't remember the square footage but I think it was just under 60,000 sq.' with a gazillion bedrooms and bathrooms, blah x 3.

The part that caught my attention was when they mentioned the garage...It has a 100 car garage...A ONE HUNDRED CAR GARAGE!

Pffffftttttt! They can keep the house. I just want the garage.

My dream home, er garage. No, HOME!

Phill

Wow, rumors, rumors, and more rumors. Sounds like no one really has a solid bead on the 2013 or beyond.

I tend to lean to the simplest answer being the correct answer. A 5.8 doesn't make since, nor does going to the 5.0 for the reasons stated earlier, that it would be odd for Ford to invest in a aluminum 5.4 to ditch it in two years. Going with a TVS would be smart, but doesn't generate much excitement. Going turbo will create the excitement and would give Ford some experience with a turbos on a gas V8 if turbos are indeed the future for factory boost. Considering Turbos are the only option on diesels (for obvious reasons) and are the only power adder Ford is putting on 6's and 4's I don't see why Turbos on the 5.4 is such a stretch (aside from the packaging nightmare they create.)

The videos of the mules on the Ring do not provide enough insite for anyone to decisively declare what is under the hood. But everyone is safe declaring one or the other. If you are right it's because you are an expert. If you are wrong it's because of the poor quality of the video. Hell, for all we know they were testing the 2013 power source.

As for traction, I would expect the 2013 to include electronic traction aids simular to what is on the BOSS. If you want a factory Mustang with enough traction to dump all 600+ ponies onto the pavement from a standstill go buy a CobraJet.

I was looking at a new 2012 sitting on the floor at Lakewood Ford. Its Black with red stripes, SVT package, electronics package, glass roof and recaro seats. It has all the options I want and the color looks great. But after reading the info on this thread makes me want to wait a little longer to see what's coming. The wife and I miss our old 2010 Grabber Blue Shelby, so I told her I'm buying another one.

Hey Grabber/Rob, if you read this, Andy & Julie will be back soon.

The body is getting a 2 year refresh for the MY 2013-14. The restyle won't be until 2015 mark my words. The 2014 Mustang will look the same as the 2013.

That's also what they are saying here:

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/07/06/refreshed-mustang-coming-in-2013-next-generation-to-be-2015-model/

I'm surprised with an other "refresh" for a 2 year period only, with the current one only lasting 3 years, as the initial body style on this platform ran for 5 years (2005-09).The previous gen car (1994-2004) was restyled only once during its life span. I guess the competition from the Camaro may explain that decision. Personally, I would only bump the horsepower output to stay on top for those 2 years, and keep the current bodystyle. Too many redesigns tend to hurt resale value.

I'm surprised with an other "refresh" for a 2 year period only, with the current one only lasting 3 years, as the initial body style on this platform ran for 5 years (2005-09).The previous gen car (1994-2004) was restyled only once during its life span. I guess the competition from the Camaro may explain that decision. Personally, I would only bump the horsepower output to stay on top for those 2 years, and keep the current bodystyle. Too many redesigns tend to hurt resale value.

We witnessed that with the '10 body change... B)

Well I'm not a big fan of the current bodystyle, it's okay but it doesn't thrill me. So I'm kinda interested to see what they are going to do with the 2013-14.

In regards to the Boss...a bodystyle change for the 2013 might cause a little rift with the 2012 owners. They were already probably going to argue over who had the better stripes but this will add even more fuel to the fire.

The 2013 will be a TVS blown, 5.8L. The 5.8L will be based upon the existing 5.4 alum engine with the additional displacement coming from the plasma arc spray-in cylinder liner technology. The liner technology will allow for a larger bore diameter (use the room left by the iron liner), hence the increase in displacement.

IMO, the 2013 and 2014 will be the last of the Mohicans.... The 2015 stang will be smaller, lighter and less "powerful" than the existing platform since it has been designed to live in a world after the 2016 CAFE standard jumps to 37.8 mpg for the fleet.

I bought my 2012 GT500 in case I'm wrong, but I will be in line for a 2013 at 650hp as soon as they go orderable this December. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I am new in here and new to the MUSTANG FAMILY.

I own a tuned 5.0 GT 2011, great car, love the ride, but I am really interested in purchasing a Shelby, however by reading all these great news I am asking myself and you out there! SHOULD I wait for the 2013, which are only months in question to be out? I heard that in March 2012 the 2013 will come out with 600+ HP or maybe just wait until mid 2014 when the new 50th anniversary redesign will be out!

I appreciate your experienced input.

Thank you

braztang :doh:

Hello everyone,

I am new in here and new to the MUSTANG FAMILY.

I own a tuned 5.0 GT 2011, great car, love the ride, but I am really interested in purchasing a Shelby, however by reading all these great news I am asking myself and you out there! SHOULD I wait for the 2013, which are only months in question to be out? I heard that in March 2012 the 2013 will come out with 600+ HP or maybe just wait until mid 2014 when the new 50th anniversary redesign will be out!

I appreciate your experienced input.

Thank you

braztang :doh:

This reminds me of a story. About 25 years ago just after the Apple Newton came out, a co-worker was trying to decide if he wanted a Newton or a new computer (potentially a new thing called "a laptop"). He also had heard that almost everyone would have something bigger/faster/better/cheaper "any day now". Well, he struggled with paralysis by analysis and ended buying a Timex watch that could synchronize a calendar and contacts by a serial link or by "watching" a blinking screen (literally, flashing black and white morse code). In retrospect he was very much like Monk in real life.

The moral of the story is that there will ALWAYS be something tomorrow that is bigger/faster/better than what you can get today. You merely have to decide if not having until then (and potentially never making a decision) is worth more than having the solution today.

Whatever you do don't think about this too long. You'll lose sleep.

This reminds me of a story. About 25 years ago just after the Apple Newton came out, a co-worker was trying to decide if he wanted a Newton or a new computer (potentially a new thing called "a laptop"). He also had heard that almost everyone would have something bigger/faster/better/cheaper "any day now". Well, he struggled with paralysis by analysis and ended buying a Timex watch that could synchronize a calendar and contacts by a serial link or by "watching" a blinking screen (literally, flashing black and white morse code). In retrospect he was very much like Monk in real life.

The moral of the story is that there will ALWAYS be something tomorrow that is bigger/faster/better than what you can get today. You merely have to decide if not having until then (and potentially never making a decision) is worth more than having the solution today.

It just seems like there is an update every year now.

2007 - 2009 - 500HP & KR

2010 - Same motor with 540HP and refresh

2011 - Aluminum block with 550HP and SVTPP

2012 - Recaro Seat option

2013 - Refresh and maybe motor or SC change

Lot going on there in a short period of time compared to 2007-2009

The question is if it is worth waiting for a change or not, it is only LESS than a year if there will be any changes! no question if I should wait if it really is going to be a change, as I would loose a lot of money on my new GT now and then be disapointed if there was any changes in 2013!

Cheers,

braztang.

I would wait---bought mine X Plan 3 months ago and screwed up big time by not waiting.... With it looking like GM will pound sand in Ford with the new ZL1 --- there will be some really neat stuff in the future because Ford already gets treated like a second class citizen because of a couple versions of the Vette and will be stepping up to at least keep the Camaro in check! If you want mine it is a hard loaded 2012 black on black with the Magna Flow cat back system and 1300 miles. Kept in garage under cover---never driven in the rain.. Will sell it right.

I would wait---bought mine X Plan 3 months ago and screwed up big time by not waiting.... With it looking like GM will pound sand in Ford with the new ZL1 --- there will be some really neat stuff in the future because Ford already gets treated like a second class citizen because of a couple versions of the Vette and will be stepping up to at least keep the Camaro in check! If you want mine it is a hard loaded 2012 black on black with the Magna Flow cat back system and 1300 miles. Kept in garage under cover---never driven in the rain.. Will sell it right.

drop me an email. we can talk, so also you could send me some pics.

Tks,

braztang

drop me an email. we can talk, so also you could send me some pics.

Tks,

braztang

Will do pics this weekend. Got an email yesterday about how to turn this one into a monster. Will see how many $'s this is going to require -- at that point it will not really matter what comes out next year if this one is a fire breathing monster. Depends on the $'s required because when you start making major modifications the vehicle has a much smaller resale market and the money spent will not be recovered.

Archived