TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New set of F1’s for my Rear

Grabber

I am budget minded these days and did not want to replace all 4 tires of my car when I just need the rear's. The fronts are still in great shape. The rears are getting darn close to the wear bars. I suspect by the end of the summer….they will be ready for replacement. I called my local Goodyear store and was able to order a set of the factory F1 Super Car Goodyear Eagles. They took 1 day to get. Someone told me that they stopped making them, but I'm not sure of that. Now when I put these rear tires on I will still have a matching set of tires and only had to replace the rears. They cost me $240 per tire.

Here are my rear tires with 7,300 miles on them

006-5.jpg

010-2.jpg

009-1.jpg

008-4.jpg

007-3.jpg

Fronts still in great shape

011-2.jpg

My new F1's

015.jpg

020.jpg

019.jpg

018.jpg

017.jpg

014-1.jpg

According to the code on my new F1's the tires were manufactured the 35th week of 2009. I wonder if production of these has stopped?

016.jpg

You could have done so much better than the stock tires. We all know they suck. Oh well at least YOU are happy.

Once my front tires are worn out, the rears will need replacing again. Once that happens, I will buy 4 high quality replacements. This was a way to spend under $500 bucks and have fresh matching rubber all the way around.

...and yes, me being happy is all that really matters. :)

I was under the idea that, yes, production on these tires have stopped but there are still plenty sitting in warehouses across the country.

I did the same thing you did Grabber. Replaced the rears with F1's (which is a decent street tire) with plans to upgrade the full set when the fronts need to be replaced. I'm not a fan of mismatched tires.

Now, before swapping to the new tire, I highly recomend sending the old tires to a very smokey grave! Make sure to take photos!

I was under the idea that, yes, production on these tires have stopped but there are still plenty sitting in warehouses across the country.

I did the same thing you did Grabber. Replaced the rears with F1's (which is a decent street tire) with plans to upgrade the full set when the fronts need to be replaced. I'm not a fan of mismatched tires.

Now, before swapping to the new tire, I highly recomend sending the old tires to a very smokey grave! Make sure to take photos!

I have my Goodyear rep checking on the production of these. I'm curious too, so I'm having her check it for me. I will let you know.

My understanding is they stopped production of the GT500 *KR* F1 tires which are much different from the standard GT500 F1's.

The KR tires have a nickle sized "winged boot" logo on the sidewall.

The Shelby Store still has the KR F1's available in their "Basement" section but they raised the price to $300 ea. (they used to sell them for $200 ea).

But even at $300, they beat the best Internet price I've seen (tirerack.com?) by 80 bucks a tire.

Remember...that is for the GT500KR F1 (R compound?) tire, not the GT500 F1 tire. You can still get the GT500 F1 tires at a pretty reasonable price in either 18" (2010+ 'Vert) or 19" (2010+ Coupe) dia.

HTH,

Phill

Look forward to what Grabber learns.

I was in the belief of the opposite senerio. That the original GT500 F1's were discontinued shortly after the KR versions came to market and that the KR F1 have since been discontinued with the latest version being used on the 2010+. There was a period after their reported discontinuance where you could find the '07-'09 GT500 F1's for $130-$150 each as they tried to clear out inventories. I know because I'm riding on a set now. There were several threads discussing this as there was confusion as to why one place would sell the F1's at $300+ while another or even the same site would list the F1 for $130.

Grabber - which tires are you going to go with when you replace all four next time? My back tires are close to looking like yours...I've got nearly 10,000 miles on them. Just curious, as I value your opinion on these cars and what we use on them.

Well, I'm not too sure. I have not given it much thought because This new set up should last me some years. My current rears are not coming off this summer. I'm not one to just go out and smoke my current set all in one day. They should last me till the end of the summer. I have been so busy with my family and other things that my car has been sitting in the garage way to much lately. I used to go out driving in my spare time and now I don't have much spare time. Once I get my new rears on next year, they should last me a good 3 years or 4 like the first ones did. I'm not sure what will be the best set up for me in 2015, but I will do my homework then.

I'm not sure what will be the best set up for me in 2015, but I will do my homework then.

Thanks Grabber. I might just stick with the same OE tires then. I really haven't too much to complain about as far as the wear and performance. Maybe BF Goodrich will finally come out with the size my car needs in a few years.

Archived