TEAM SHELBY FORUM

UPR suspension products not up to par...

....as least if you're Shelby makes almost 700 RWHP. I had their drag racing suspension package installed before I made the trek to the Mid-America Ford & Shelby meet in Tulsa. On the first pass, using MT 28X10.5X15 in. slicks, I launced at around 4K with tire pressure at 12 psi. On the hit, the lower control arm mounts/brackets twisted, bended, rolled, whatever you want to call it. It pushed the LH side of the axle housing forward enough to ram the slick into the fender. Deep groove cut into the tire---surprised it didn't blow. I limped back to the pits---day was over. It even damaged the dynatech driveshaft--it'll have to be replaced. I was lucky it didn't damage the transmission

I talked to Rob Holzman, who races the CJ mustangs in stock & super stock. I'm sure you've heard of their cars. He told me that the UPR pieces were 'junk', designed badly, etc., etc. He said they make their own suspension hardware and it works very well considering they've been in the 8s. So, I'll probably just buy replacement parts from them. In hindsight, I should have gone with Holzman equipment, in the first place. An expensive lesson, to be sure.

I will not be using UPR parts...ever again.

I have all UPR rear suspension components. LCA, UCA, UCA mount, LCA re-location brackets and pan-hard rod and a UPR catch can. I have over 700 rwhp and have never had a problem at all. What type of bearing do you have? I got the poly bushing becuase I didn't want any clunking around and I have to say that the UPR products have worked great for me. They are very quiet and so far have performed decently. No, it is no Griggs but for what I need it works. Did you have your lower arms/brackets welded or just bolted onto your car?

The guy who sold me my blower had used BMR products on his car and said he had mutiple UCA failures and that he would never use BMR again. Told me to try UPR and that's what I did. I believe that leathal aslo has UPR products on their 2010 9 sec stang.

I mean how can the product be designed badly? It's a lower control arm. How can a LCA really differ from manufacturer to manufacturer, it's just a LCA they have to all basically be about the same.

I have all UPR rear suspension components. LCA, UCA, UCA mount, LCA re-location brackets and pan-hard rod and a UPR catch can. I have over 700 rwhp and have never had a problem at all. What type of bearing do you have? I got the poly bushing becuase I didn't want any clunking around and I have to say that the UPR products have worked great for me. They are very quiet and so far have performed decently. No, it is no Griggs but for what I need it works. Did you have your lower arms/brackets welded or just bolted onto your car?

The guy who sold me my blower had used BMR products on his car and said he had mutiple UCA failures and that he would never use BMR again. Told me to try UPR and that's what I did. I believe that leathal aslo has UPR products on their 2010 9 sec stang.

I mean how can the product be designed badly? It's a lower control arm. How can a LCA really differ from manufacturer to manufacturer, it's just a LCA they have to all basically be about the same.

Not the LCAs, the LCA re-location bracket. I'm glad for you. You seem to have had good luck with their stuff. No, they weren't welded in, but Holzman said it wouldn't make much difference. Due to the bracket's design, they'd still bend under the load. I don't know what you did to achieve successful results, but I'm completely dissatisfied with UPR. The shop where I had the work done, RPM Motorsports, couldn't get much assitance from UPR on questions they had about the install. It's like UPR didn't give a crap about it.

Holzman races those new CJ 'stangs I'm sure you've either read about or seen them on youtube. He knows his stuff. I'll just buy LCA re-location brackets from him.

Common knowledge as long as UPR has been around. Their stuff is cheap crap. Griggs or MM is the only way to go.

Yeah, after scanning several forums, it seems folks either love UPR or hate them. From my personal experience, I'm not too fond of them. Good thing Holzman lives in Wichita---that's where I live. I can drive to his shop and pick up the 'bulletproof' parts.

I will have to say though, that I have never launched my car with slicks on at 4k rpm's either. So it is very possible if i did my stuff might break also, just like yours. But so far with the 20" nt05r drag radials everything seems to be alright. Appologize if i sounded condescending in my first post. I understand upr is no griggs and I do not really know much about MM.

Wanted to install FRPP part # ( M-5649-CJ10 ) rear suspension kit, SVT recommended against it for street use.........( FRPP does not sell a street / strip kit ).............They ( SVT ) gave me the name of the co. who mkes this kit for them.

www.teamzmotorsports.com

My thought process was, " if their products are good enough for FRPP to use on the CJ, it's good enough for me " !!

Wanted to install FRPP part # ( M-5649-CJ10 ) rear suspension kit, SVT recommended against it for street use.........( FRPP does not sell a street / strip kit ).............They ( SVT ) gave me the name of the co. who mkes this kit for them.

www.teamzmotorsports.com

My thought process was, " if their products are good enough for FRPP to use on the CJ, it's good enough for me " !!

What about the LCA relocation bracket? It doesn't appear to be part of the kit?

I hear that the CHE bracket is a good one. Material thickness greater than the others.

Don't know about the CHE bracket.............................The Team Z bracket measured ( .191 )...... ( .1875 = 3/16" ).....( .1969 = 5 MM ), looks to be a strong well constructed bracket........FRPP uses this co.'s kits on the CJ.

Good news...UPR is going to pay for my damaged driveshaft, and ruined slick. :happy feet: I'm a little surprised that they came thru on the deal. However, I won't be buying any UPR relocation brackets. I'll go with CHE's bracket. It's stout.

I had the CHE brackets on my Whipple supercharged 2006 Mustang GT. Great pieces and great service from Chuck at CHE. Use the promo code "custserv" for a 10% discount.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE......

It's been along and frustrating experience in dealing with UPR. I've got my car at RPM Motorsports (here in Wichita). As I stated in an earlier post....UPR did refund the suspension kit price....good. Due to the extra-component damage, they informed RPM that they were going to also refund my slicks and the driveshaft...good. However, after a few days, they decided not to cover the driveshaft, even though their skinny little relocation brackets caused the damage. What....they'll pay for the damaged slicks and won't pay for the damaged driveshaft? B.S.

And....to top it off, it's been about two weeks since UPR told RPM that they had shipped the slicks. Still no sign of the slicks....they won't give them a tracking number. So, I guess it's a UPS or FED-EX problem? It's starting to 'smell'.

Some of you may have good dealings with UPR, but I am rather pissed at them for they way they've handled the whole thing. They've been inconsistent. Yeah, it's good they refunded me the suspension kit price, but the issue with the slicks & driveshaft has left a sour taste in my mouth. The driveshat issue really chaps my hide. The way I see it, UPR owes me for the all the damage, but I guess they don't care about their reputation.

In the furure, I will definitely not be recommending any UPR products to anyone.

Archived