TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Future GT500 Spied Shots

GT500-07

If Ford makes a V6 the hottest engine for the Mustang, it will be the demise of the car. It would become a 370Z and I won't buy one. I believe the vast majority of Mustang enthusiasts would feel the same way, and sales would plummet, basically withering up and dying on the vine like the old 'Maro and the Crown Victoria. I do see it shrinking a little, as it did in the past.

Remember when people gasped at the 500hp that the Shelbys were going to come with for 07? That was formerly exotic car territory. Now the Aventador is coming out with 700 hp. The bar keeps moving, but now with more and more lightweight materials.

Remember, the mustang has to sell as a $20k grocery getting V6 as well so any exotic materials would be out of the question.

If Ford makes a V6 the hottest engine for the Mustang, it will be the demise of the car. It would become a 370Z and I won't buy one. I believe the vast majority of Mustang enthusiasts would feel the same way, and sales would plummet, basically withering up and dying on the vine like the old 'Maro and the Crown Victoria. I do see it shrinking a little, as it did in the past.

Remember when people gasped at the 500hp that the Shelbys were going to come with for 07? That was formerly exotic car territory. Now the Aventador is coming out with 700 hp. The bar keeps moving, but now with more and more lightweight materials.

Remember, the mustang has to sell as a $20k grocery getting V6 as well so any exotic materials would be out of the question.

I think there could be a place for lightweight materials in the high end Mustang. The base Vette doesn't have all the lightweight trim of the Z06 and ZR1.

GM isn't sitting still with the Vette.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/23/2012-chevrolet-corvette-z06-laps-the-ring-in-7-22-68-shaves-20/

As for the 2013 it's going to be an interesting car. I'm sure it will be better then my 2011 but with a whole new car coming the following year it's going to be tough for me to jump on board. However, I could see myself picking up a 2013 sitting on a dealer lot if the 2014 Mustang is a bust.

Yeah but also you have to remember that the corvette is a "sports car" and the Shelby is a "muscle car" two different car catagories. That's why I called the Motor Trend test of the Shelby against the GTR and Corvette unfair. 3 different cars in 3 different catagories.

Yet if the V6 thing were to happen with the Mustang, MAYBE I'll go to corvette and use a mustang as the Daily driver.

The V6 presently accounts for most of the mustang's sales. So it's possible you might see varying v6 packages, the top level being a TT.

Personally I'm a little worried about the next gen mustang. I have a feeling I'm not going to care for it at all.

I've been so bold on other threads here to say that unfortunately, these hp wars have to stop somewhere real close to the territory we are currently in...at least as it relates to the 'non exotic' stuff, built for the masses. It quite simply HAS to. The average consumer that has the small (relatively speaking) amount of dough to spend and can afford a fast car, cannot be subjected to much more hp than we are experiencing now? He (average consumer) just cannot be expected to handle / respect these kinds of horsepower!? The lower priced high power cars are getting into the hands of the very young 'inexperienced' driver way too frequently and wreaking havoc on our roads! Not to mention the insurance companies will help see to it that this is about the maximum as well.

You can only 'build-in' so many idiot proof electronic safety features. What I believe we are going to see, is the use of lighter materials on ALL cars...same high hp's we have currently, and just better handling characteristics built in from now on. I for one never installed any 'go faster' mods to my '07 GT500...partially for resale's sake down the road to a fussy owner that didn't want a beat car...or at least the impression of one, and also because I felt like the car was plenty fast enough at 500hp right outta the wrapper?

I know some of you will feel like I am Debbie Downer here, but this is a fact that the automotive manufacturers are faced with today in the ever growing, fast changing race to the finish line! B)

Average Joe Consumer isn't the guy buying a GT500 though ;)

Turbocharging will be used in the next Mustang. A 2.5L DI turbo 4cyl mustang could make decent power, but also provide excellent gas mileage, especially since the 2014 car is supposed ot be smaller and lighter. I would like to see a turbo six and definately a turbo 8 offered as well, but I don't think we are lucky enough to get a turbo coyote form the factory.

Beofre hating too much on turbo 6s, just take a look at what kind of power the GT-Rs are getting from their tt6. One shop just wrapped up tuning on one that made 1201 awhp on a Mustang dyno.

Turbocharging will be used in the next Mustang. A 2.5L DI turbo 4cyl mustang could make decent power, but also provide excellent gas mileage, especially since the 2014 car is supposed ot be smaller and lighter. I would like to see a turbo six and definately a turbo 8 offered as well, but I don't think we are lucky enough to get a turbo coyote form the factory.

Beofre hating too much on turbo 6s, just take a look at what kind of power the GT-Rs are getting from their tt6. One shop just wrapped up tuning on one that made 1201 awhp on a Mustang dyno.

+1. Nowadays turbo 6s have very little or no lag, and lots of torque at low rpm; on top of that, you can easily mod them. If someone could make them sound exactly like V8s, most people would be hard pressed to see the difference. Car & Driver currently has a review of the F-150 Ecoboost on their website and that lack of V8 sound is one of their main complaints. Their 0-60 time is 6.1, not bad for a big pickup truck and faster than the same truck with the 5.0, or even the 6.2. I believe that the top of the line Mustang will still have a V8; I couldn't conceive that Ford would not at least offer it, even if it represents a smaller portion of the engine mix. However, I think a turbo 6 (likely the EcoBoost) will be offered as an alternate choice to those who want good power with better fuel economy, en even the turbo 4 to be found in the Focus ST. Even if a turbo V6 isn't much more economical than a V8 at WOT, it will be more efficient at cruising speed and help Ford's CAFE number. Like it or not, this is an important point for any car maker.

I can see turbo 6's, even turbo 4's in the Mustang down the road but Ford isn't going to abandon the coyote in the next gen Mustang in 2014. Ford invested too much money in it's development for a three year run within the Mustang and F150. I wouldn't expect a significant power source change until 2018, 2019, or 2020 when we will most likely see a refresh in the next gen Mustang. Its more likely we will see an evolution the coyote (direct injected, etc) before we will see a revolution with a new power source.

I can see turbo 6's, even turbo 4's in the Mustang down the road but Ford isn't going to abandon the coyote in the next gen Mustang in 2014. Ford invested too much money in it's development for a three year run within the Mustang and F150. I wouldn't expect a significant power source change until 2018, 2019, or 2020 when we will most likely see a refresh in the next gen Mustang. Its more likely we will see an evolution the coyote (direct injected, etc) before we will see a revolution with a new power source.

At the Chicago Auto Show I saw a camaro with a sign saying 1000hp. I think it was supercharged, but maybe turbo.

Definitely NOT hate'n on TT6's, as I am the proud owner of a 135i. Can't appreciate the TT6 until you experience 'em. ;)

THATS B** A** ...... about 5 years from now my new car project is to build a cobra replica car .... say from E-M Series IV .... so us tall people could fit in it. But after looking at this twin turbo version ... omg ....... what a ride !!!

• 2 months later...

Definitely NOT hate'n on TT6's, as I am the proud owner of a 135i. Can't appreciate the TT6 until you experience 'em. ;)

I have a daily driver 09 BMW 335i coupe with a twin turbo DI , vt cam 6 cyl engine. This engine makes max torque @ 1300 rpm . It's allways on it's power band. These engines make 385 hp with a tune .This is the direction BMW is going . The M3 will not have a V8 in the future.. I got tired of all the constant GT500 changes and went back to a low miles 2003 10th anniversary terminator . I think the 03-04 Cobra's have hit the bottom ( price wise ) and are great cars that run in the 12's bone stock . I will just sit on the sidelines for awhile .

post-9597-0-55262200-1316101033_thumb.jpg

post-9597-0-55262200-1316101033_thumb.jpg

Archived