TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Future GT500 Spied Shots

GT500-07

A pair of twin-turbo Ford Shelby GT500s have been circling the famed Nurburgring in Germany over the last few days and our spies finally had time to put down their digital still cameras in order to record a little video.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-shelby-gt500-future.html

This is a sweet development for Ford and I can confirm that there is at least one Twin Turbo GT500 in a R n D garage off of OakWood Blvd that is running on diesel and is producing over 700 rwhp. in Dearborn MI.

Scotty g

Retired Engineer ; Early buy out from Ford Motor co ; Currently on contract with Ford Reasearch and Development.

I'm lost as to how anyone can tell from the photos and this vid that it has Turbos. At :40 you can hear what could be the turbos "fluttering" (I'm at a loss for a better descriptor) but I'm more inclined to believe I'm hearing the tires fighting for traction as the 2ton beast drifts thru the corner.

I'm lost as to how anyone can tell from the photos and this vid that it has Turbos. At :40 you can hear what could be the turbos "fluttering" (I'm at a loss for a better descriptor) but I'm more inclined to believe I'm hearing the tires fighting for traction as the 2ton beast drifts thru the corner.

I can sort of hear the hiss, but I'm not really sure. That could just be something else in the engine or a belt or something. You'd need a spy photo of the engine to really tell.

we already knew there would be a 2013 GT500, just not 100% sure what will be under the hood :shift:

Yeah but my point is it's not with the 2010-2012 which would indicate significant changes. Look at the changes between 2010 & 2011 yet they are together. Something real big is going down.

Well something is up since there is now a dedicated 2013 section.

Yep, Robert showed his hand...and maybe just a wee bit early.

He originally had "Gen V" attached to the 2013 section but when asked about it, he removed it.

Think about it....

2007, 2008 and 2009 GT500. That's a three year run.

2010, 2011 and 2012. That's a three year run.

It stands to reason that 2013 will be the beginning (1st year) of another 3-year run with at the very least, a body style change.

Shelby American knows what's going on at Ford long before the GP does.

During a casual conversation proir to the release of the new Aluminum block a Shelby employee confirmed the new Aluminum block in the GT500 to me. And that was long before it was announced to the public. It was a rumor, but only a rumor. The employee flat out CONFIRMED it to me. The same employee also let the cat out of the bag regarding the "new" Coyote 5.0 and how Shelby was ramping up for it (which basically confirmed the GT350 rumor!), all without realizing it.

It is my opinion that Robert just let the cat out of the bag regarding a new Generation (Gen V) Mustang/GT500 by adding a 2013 specific section to the TS website.

2 + 2 = 4.

Phill

Bottom line is they can add all the power they want but that's not the problem. Getting that power to the ground is and it should be the focus of this car.

Amen, brother. Enough with the silly hp numbers. Redesign the rear floorpan, move the top of the shock further inboard, and give us the wider wheels from the factory. That and a serious, user adjustable, traction control.

I heard they may be upping the HP a bit.

I don't think anyone would complain about more power as long as you can actually use it without having to put drag radials on. There is a reason the GT500 is the slowest 500HP car in stock trim.

I don't think anyone would complain about more power as long as you can actually use it without having to put drag radials on. There is a reason the GT500 is the slowest 500HP car in stock trim.

Cry, cry, cry. Get's pretty old.

Amen, brother. Enough with the silly hp numbers. Redesign the rear floorpan, move the top of the shock further inboard, and give us the wider wheels from the factory. That and a serious, user adjustable, traction control.

+1000 would like to see those mods done But when I read the autoblog last night about the Hp jump for 2013 it's going to make me sit back and wait for it instead of doing an 2012. Just so I have the biggest Hp on the block !!! My sweet neighbor he got himself a nice lambo and his buddy who owns the Ford dealership in his GT350 love to drive by and give a health rev.

A car of that Hp It should come from the factory with coil overs or at least drop the ride height tired all together with the jeep look.

But we also have remember that this a muscle car HP war like the old days and back then those cars did not hook up just layed rubber with a smile.

I would most definitely expect a power and hopefully a handling bump/improvement. With the Z28 entering the ring Ford needs to keep one step ahead of GM. GM has always kept the power and handling of the Camaro one (or several )notch below the Corvette and with 550+ HP from the factory they standing squarely in Corvette territory. I wouldnt expect GM to go much higher than 550 for fear taking more sales away from the Vette thus leaving the GT500 standing on top of the Muscle Car power ladder with what I assume will be 600 to 650 ponies.

I wouldn't go assuming that the Vette is just going to remain stagnant. The performance bar will just get raised that much higher.

+1

Chevy is playing with adding power to the corvette. They just are not telling anyone yet.

I wouldn't go assuming that the Vette is just going to remain stagnant. The performance bar will just get raised that much higher.

Not sure how much higer they can go with the Corvette. I'm not talking from a technical standpoint, but rather from a PR standpoint. If they raise the power of the base Vette to be higher than the ZL-1 Camaro, they also have to raise the power level of the Z-06 and ZR!, which would mean a ZR1 in the 700-750hp range. This kind of number may be viewed as overkill by many in the general public, for a company that tries to look like a leader in "green" technologies with a car like the Volt.

I understand that this race for more hp is a result of the competition between automakers. This is not exclusive to US brands. You see that with the Germans sports sedans too. Power is essentially a marketing tool, but past a certain point, this marketing tool may backfire, not necessarily with the enthusiasts, but with the average car buyers. Over the years, performance cars have often been referred to as "halo" cars, as they help enhance the image of the brand and bring people into showrooms. I just feel that in the current climate and if automakers keep pushing the envelope, high performance cars may become less of a halo and more of a liability to a brand's image, maybe not for people like us, but for a vast majority of car buyers.

I believe that within a few years, automakers will realize that dropping the weight while keeping the power output steady or even lowering it just a bit is a better option, as it would benefit straight line performance, handling and fuel consumption, the latter being increasingly important for carmakers as the CAFE ratings will become tougher to meet as the years go by. The current method of simply adding more power may improves straight line performance (providing that you have enough traction) but does very little for fuel economy. I few cars have already adopted the new approach. The current Audi S4 has dropped its normally aspirated V8 for a suparcharged V6, with slightly less hp but more torque at a lower rpm, resulting in improved performance numbers and better fuel economy.

For the next generation Shelby/SVT I would rather keep the current 550hp output unchanged, with a slightly smaller displacement engine like the 5.0, fitted with turbos and direct fuel injection, drop weight 400-500 pounds, from the current 3,800-3,900lbs range to around 3,400lbs, and improve weight distribution and traction, rather than simply add another 75-100hp to the current design. That being said, I certainly won't protest if Ford bring to market a more powerful Shelby that still outperforms the top Camaro.

This is what I was getting at. Will the Vette get more power, possibly, but Vette sales have taken a serious dive since the Camaro returned and the new ZL1 (I called it the Z28 earlier) is only going to take more sales away from GM's flagship performance car. With increased power comes increases in price. Many GM fans are already asking 'Why should I Pay $60-70k for a Vette who's appearance hasn't changed significantly in 10yrs when I can own a fresh Camaro with nearly identical power numbers for $10-$20K less?'. The last thing GM wants is to create more competition for Vette sales. The average Joe doesnt put much stock in the Vette's pedigree, they only want a cool sports/muscle car that sounds awesome. Ford, with it's lack of a halo sports car (at least for the time being) doesn't have this problem.

I hadn't considered that it would cost a heck of a lot more for GM to continue to bump the Camaro's power then for Ford and the Mustang. With anything higher then the number planned for the ZL1 would result in a domino effect of power bumps in at least three if not four variations of the Vette in order to maintain the current level of separation in power between the models.

GM isn't sitting still with the Vette.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/23/2012-chevrolet-corvette-z06-laps-the-ring-in-7-22-68-shaves-20/

As for the 2013 it's going to be an interesting car. I'm sure it will be better then my 2011 but with a whole new car coming the following year it's going to be tough for me to jump on board. However, I could see myself picking up a 2013 sitting on a dealer lot if the 2014 Mustang is a bust.

The C7 Corvette WILL have a V6 as a base engine. IMO, this is the direct result of the growing horsepower wars affected by the CAFE standards. It will inevitably affect the Mustang as well. We will see a V6 as the 'hottest' engine in a Mustang, eventually. ;)

Archived