TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford Buys Back GT500 due to Clutch

I called one of my buddies to see if he got his GT500 out of storage finally and was enjoying the nice weather. Last year he was having lots of trouble with the transmission and clutch. Even post a tranny rebuild he had lots of problems to the tune of the car spending 86 days in the shop the last half of 2010. With mixed emotions he told me he has a vet now He said he filed a claim with the better business bureau and Ford agreed to buy back the car (not under the lemon law though) and was sending it to auction.

So Ford does buy these back but am disappointed on how many other members have been hosed with a faulty clutch and have had to find alternatives outside of Ford to address.....like aftermarket clutches.

Anyway I thought I'd share a 'stick it to the man' story.

My last Mustang was a Ford buy-back. I purchased my 92 LX vert, 5.0, 5 speed from the local dealer after seeing it sit in his back "impound" lot for almost a month. Here's the story he gave me. An NC dealer ordered this car special for the customer, triple black, leather, every luxury option available--except automatic transmission PLUS he had ordered the optional 3.08 rear gears. Odd combination, but it would get and go! But in the process of prep and delivery, the car got backed into a wall (probably 'slid" is more like it) and it boogered up the rear panel, one tail light and that corner. Customer refused delivery and the car sat for some time until purchased by a guy who retired back here, near Ft. Campbell. He complained and complained and complained about water leaking into the trunk, because of the previous damage, according to him. The local dealer even locked a guy in the trunk with a flashlight and marker to see if he could find the water coming in. No one ever solved his leak problem and he stirred up such a ruckus that Ford bought the car back. The local dealer said, it's been sitting outside for a month in the rain and we haven't found it wet yet. It was a GREAT deal and I couldn't pass up a V8 Mustang convertible, so I bought it. Drove it almost 6 years and over 100k and NEVER had a leak in the trunk....or anywhere else! But the story doesn't end there. When I bought the car there were some things I couldn't figure out.....the interior lights didn't work. The trunk light didn't work, the glove box light didn't work. The parking lights would not come on alone........so I got to checking. There were NO electrical issues, the bulbs and/or fuses controlling all those lights had been removed. ????? Finally one day I was at work and this guy drives up in a (guess what) all black F-150 and comes in and asks for me. He's the PO and he's got an extra trunk mat for my Mustang....says I'll need it. I said I hadn't yet and asked about the no-light situation. To this he looked around and replied that he was an "aircraft accident" investigator for the Army and when he didn't want to be seen--he didn't want to be seen......I'm like, sure 007, just don't kill me now that you've told me! What a character! Anyway, I drove that sweet little 5.0 for several years and actually embarrassed some GT's, Camaros and Firebirds because of the lower rear gear. Man, that baby put the power to the ground!

Sorry I rambled on so long, but my buy-back Mustang was a sweetie and it's a fun story to tell!

• 1 month later...

I had my 2007 GT500 bought back by FORD.. 91 days in the shop, consecutive by the way...

Eddie

BTW.... I now have a 40th Anniv.. :happy feet:

My last Mustang was a Ford buy-back. I purchased my 92 LX vert, 5.0, 5 speed from the local dealer after seeing it sit in his back "impound" lot for almost a month. Here's the story he gave me. An NC dealer ordered this car special for the customer, triple black, leather, every luxury option available--except automatic transmission PLUS he had ordered the optional 3.08 rear gears. Odd combination, but it would get and go! But in the process of prep and delivery, the car got backed into a wall (probably 'slid" is more like it) and it boogered up the rear panel, one tail light and that corner. Customer refused delivery and the car sat for some time until purchased by a guy who retired back here, near Ft. Campbell. He complained and complained and complained about water leaking into the trunk, because of the previous damage, according to him. The local dealer even locked a guy in the trunk with a flashlight and marker to see if he could find the water coming in. No one ever solved his leak problem and he stirred up such a ruckus that Ford bought the car back. The local dealer said, it's been sitting outside for a month in the rain and we haven't found it wet yet. It was a GREAT deal and I couldn't pass up a V8 Mustang convertible, so I bought it. Drove it almost 6 years and over 100k and NEVER had a leak in the trunk....or anywhere else! But the story doesn't end there. When I bought the car there were some things I couldn't figure out.....the interior lights didn't work. The trunk light didn't work, the glove box light didn't work. The parking lights would not come on alone........so I got to checking. There were NO electrical issues, the bulbs and/or fuses controlling all those lights had been removed. ????? Finally one day I was at work and this guy drives up in a (guess what) all black F-150 and comes in and asks for me. He's the PO and he's got an extra trunk mat for my Mustang....says I'll need it. I said I hadn't yet and asked about the no-light situation. To this he looked around and replied that he was an "aircraft accident" investigator for the Army and when he didn't want to be seen--he didn't want to be seen......I'm like, sure 007, just don't kill me now that you've told me! What a character! Anyway, I drove that sweet little 5.0 for several years and actually embarrassed some GT's, Camaros and Firebirds because of the lower rear gear. Man, that baby put the power to the ground!

Sorry I rambled on so long, but my buy-back Mustang was a sweetie and it's a fun story to tell!

That may have been a USAF chase car used for aiding the pilot during taking off and landing U-2 aircraft.

U2 Chase Car 1

U2 Chase Car 2

thats crazy how it works some times. sucks it had to come down to them buying it back. seems like it would have been easier and cheaper just to put a new powertrain in it and call it a night. but i know how it goes. my cars been at the shop for 7 days now with a clutch issue. rumor is after fighting with them for 7 days, that the new parts will be delivered in the morning then i can get my car back. all covered under the tsb. they did have to go over 6 peoples head to get to that conclusion but we got there none the less.......hopefully

thats crazy how it works some times. sucks it had to come down to them buying it back. seems like it would have been easier and cheaper just to put a new powertrain in it and call it a night. but i know how it goes. my cars been at the shop for 7 days now with a clutch issue. rumor is after fighting with them for 7 days, that the new parts will be delivered in the morning then i can get my car back. all covered under the tsb. they did have to go over 6 peoples head to get to that conclusion but we got there none the less.......hopefully

You got to stay on top of them, otherwise they sit on your car with TSB issues. I had a terrible issue with Ford! They fought me tooth and nail, I used the BBB lemon Law process, and it works awesome. Make your call to Ford Customer Care Early in the process! :poke:

Eddie

no doubt. i got my car back a couple days ago. i guess it went over 5 guys head before it got approved. they tried the whole "the cars been raced and its a ware issue" luckily im friends with the sales manager at the dealership. he informed them how i drive.

it took 7 days, not the fasted, could be worse. but i got her back and it didnt cost me so im happy

I am in the UK. I had a major issue with doors rusting out on a Ford but non mustang car. I had agreement from a dealer it was a known defect but they would do nothing. (as I did not have a yearly paint inspection stamp in my book!) it took ages but as soon as I had a numbered complaint with ford I received a call from the dealer and four new doors within a week. You do have to be persistent. Peter

Archived