TEAM SHELBY FORUM

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW MANY COATS OF CLEAR FACTORY PAINTS ON 2012 GT500

In other words, the clear is pretty damn thin. Why do you ask?

I have black 12 GT500 and I have some clear fine scratches only visible under direct sun and dealer buffing scratches. I purcheased some wolfgang swearl removal kit with buffer and worked great. Now I am wondering howmany times I can do this before clear coats gone. Thanks for the response

You should be fine with buffing the scratches. Very little material is removed if any. I was concerned you were going to take on color sanding the clear. That I would not recommend unless you absolutly know what you are doing. Check out Showcar's 'SGT Detailing' thread. There is a sticky under the SGT Discussion forum.

You really don't remove paint when polishing the paint. However, color sanding and using clay bars will remove some material. Just be careful not to burn the paint as you're buffing.

Yes you do remove paint...Not the base coat (Color) But you remove the clear which is paint without pigment.

Always remember the clear IS a paint!!!...So it has to be treated as such.

Yes you do remove paint...Not the base coat (Color) But you remove the clear which is paint without pigment.

Exactly Keith!

And remember once it is corrected you shouldn't have to correct it again. Unless the paint is abused... Not to be insulting, but most people are guilty of this...

Is your car a daily driver? It's much harder to keep a corrected daily driver in good condition...

What are the most common ways that cars are abused?

1) Washing

2) Waterless Washing

3) Detail spray and wiping before events or between washes

Bottom line you have to minimize how much you touch the car.

How do you stop the abuse? It really has very little to do with product and EVERYTHING to do with process.

Here is a video on the correct process for washing. It just so happens that Adams is my product of choice but others are acceptable and we all have or favorites. Adams car shampoo has the most wonderful cherry smell and lubricity. I also use a foam gun to put a layer of soap on the car to losen dirt before you wipe it into the paint with the wash mit.

Here's a video on correct Waterless washing... You need a California duster!!!!! It is the best thing for a car since sliced bread IF used PROPERLY... Be warned Junkman also uses Adams and is very long winded. But the process he uses and the info in this 4 part series is PRICELESS. Do your car a favor and take the 30 mins to watch them. It also shows proper use of a Cali Duster.

I never said the contrary. YES CLEAR IS PAINT! HOWEVER, POLISHING DOES NOT REMOVE PAINT ANY MORE THAN DUST SANDS IT!

I can shout too.

Does anyone know how many factory clear coats installed on Black GT500.

Thanks

i buff out micro scrtaches by hand--much safer--i use Megiars #3 or 2 depending on how deep scrtaches are,then use #9 swirl remover

Does anyone know how many factory clear coats installed on Black GT500.

Thanks

Not enough : the paint on are cars is Sh*ty compared to the paint on previous years ; like in the 80's , 90's. It seems that every time i take one of my Ford cars out on the highway i come home with a new rock chip. That is why i very seldom take my Stangs on the highway and if i do i tend to keep my speeds below 70 mph.

Scotty

Jersey, you nailed it. Swirl marks are the result of poor washing technique, not just "something that happens".

Wash your car correctly, and do a paint correction every few years, and you should be G2G.

Ford has good paint.

I never said the contrary. YES CLEAR IS PAINT! HOWEVER, POLISHING DOES NOT REMOVE PAINT ANY MORE THAN DUST SANDS IT!

I can shout too.

Was this post necessary? I didn't think the other poster was yelling. He used exclamation marks for emphasis. And clarified your vague answer. Relax... We are all family here... :grouphug:

BTW... Dust does sand your paint when you wipe it into the finish. Watch the vids...

i buff out micro scrtaches by hand--much safer--i use Megiars #3 or 2 depending on how deep scrtaches are,then use #9 swirl remover

Not if you use a Dual-Action polisher. I.e. the Porter Cable 7424x. Maybe it's me, but I just hate to sweat and doing it by hand is not only harder but less effective for deep micro scratches. Watch these vids.

Jersey, you nailed it. Swirl marks are the result of poor washing technique, not just "something that happens".

Wash your car correctly, and do a paint correction every few years, and you should be G2G.

Ford has good paint.

:salute:

Did you watch the vids? Junkman is always working on vettes! Figured you'd like that... :)

That's what I was trying to say. Buffing doesn't really remove paint. That's like saying, you're leaving your car outside just have the dust sand it? Get it?

When someone attacks my post with !!! and CAPITAL letters, than I will defend my post as such because I will only give out information that I know to be true.

Was this post necessary? I didn't think the other poster was yelling. He used exclamation marks for emphasis. And clarified your vague answer. Relax... We are all family here... :grouphug:

BTW... Dust does sand your paint when you wipe it into the finish. Watch the vids...

Not if you use a Dual-Action polisher. I.e. the Porter Cable 7424x. Maybe it's me, but I just hate to sweat and doing it by hand is not only harder but less effective for deep micro scratches. Watch these vids.

Did you watch the vids? Junkman is always working on vettes! Figured you'd like that... :)

I did not watch those particular vids, but autogeeks and other companies have some vids that I watched previously. 2-bucket method, grit-guards, etc. etc. etc.

Washing a car is almost as complex as building an engine it seems.

That's what I was trying to say. Buffing doesn't really remove paint. That's like saying, you're leaving your car outside just have the dust sand it? Get it?

When someone attacks my post with !!! and CAPITAL letters, than I will defend my post as such because I will only give out information that I know to be true.

Well, technically, buffing does remove clear-coat. Otherwise it wouldn't get rid of scratches. It removes material to the level of the depth of the scratch (and no more, if you stop when it's good for you).

I watched junkmans video and I just wanted get this straight. I have used both portercable and flex. First I used portercable and I polished about half the car then buffer started to slow down by the time 2/3 of the buffing the car buffer was useless. I sent it back and got the flex and I am very happy with the flex, gets the job done but need to watch the polishing speed and make sure pad has plenty of polish. I understand easy to use portercable but vibration is unreal with little bit of pressure and flex has almost no vibration. I prefer the flex Thanks

I watched junkmans video and I just wanted get this straight. I have used both portercable and flex. First I used portercable and I polished about half the car then buffer started to slow down by the time 2/3 of the buffing the car buffer was useless. I sent it back and got the flex and I am very happy with the flex, gets the job done but need to watch the polishing speed and make sure pad has plenty of polish. I understand easy to use portercable but vibration is unreal with little bit of pressure and flex has almost no vibration. I prefer the flex Thanks

Very surprised by the failure of the PorterCable... But stuff happens. The Flex is a bigger, badder beast. Only thing is you can do damage with a Flex. So be careful...

Happy detailing...

No I don't "get it"

What I do get is your anger issue...

hey jersey, quick question, the washing video says more foam the better to prevent scratches, yeah it makes sense on dust but don't you have to press the washing mitt somewhat at a force to wash off dry bird do-do's, dry puddle water splashes and etc? how do u wash off those type of things without putting any force against the paint/clear? thanks man.

hey jersey, quick question, the washing video says more foam the better to prevent scratches, yeah it makes sense on dust but don't you have to press the washing mitt somewhat at a force to wash off dry bird do-do's, dry puddle water splashes and etc? how do u wash off those type of things without putting any force against the paint/clear? thanks man.

Before I start I rinse with water. Let stand for a few minutes and then rinse again with a strong spray. This alows the contaminents to soften and rinse away the majority of it. Then with the foam gun you lay down a hugh amount of foam that softens the contaminents further. If you don't have a foam gun just use as much soap as possible clean the contaminent and immediately rinse the mit with fresh water. I typically have 2 mits. One for the top of the car and upperside panels. And the other mit for lower panels and bumpers.

Hope that helps...

Before I start I rinse with water. Let stand for a few minutes and then rinse again with a strong spray. This alows the contaminents to soften and rinse away the majority of it. Then with the foam gun you lay down a hugh amount of foam that softens the contaminents further. If you don't have a foam gun just use as much soap as possible clean the contaminent and immediately rinse the mit with fresh water. I typically have 2 mits. One for the top of the car and upperside panels. And the other mit for lower panels and bumpers.

Hope that helps...

thanks for the tip, i'll buy more washing liquid n try it. on the do-do's and dry dirt/water puddles, i've been chipping it off very delicately with my fingers with heavy water running over it. its a lot of work when the car is very dirty :-(

Archived