TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ball Joints already!

My shelby that has come to me with only 12,000 miles on it and needs ball joints replaced to past the safety test. Is there anything else I should expect with these former "racing cars"??

If you're talking about a GT-H, then you may want to check for a spare. Most don't have them and some people want to get one for peace of mind. Many people don't realize there is not one there until a bit after purchase.

My shelby that has come to me with only 12,000 miles on it and needs ball joints replaced to past the safety test. Is there anything else I should expect with these former "racing cars"??

I would Check with local Ford Dealer and find out what the factory spec is for Ball joint Play.

A lot of ball joints were replaced in the 60s ,70s , 80s on mustangs because it was a money maker.They were allowed 1/4 in of free play but a lot of "Mech" thought that was too lose and would fail them for Safety insp. with out checking the Spec.

Terry

07H350

This is a serious S197 issue and will probably be replaced under warranty or TSB if one exists by now..

I had to replace mine as well at about 15,000 miles in 2008 and my car is a 2006 and has never seen a road course.

Google that question and you will find thousands of posts.

I opted to go with a more robust aftermarket version so I wouldn't have the problem again.

BTW...I had a thread somewhere back a few years ago about this issue and the first sign of problem is steering wheel vibration when braking

Don't be surprised if he quotes you $500 for parts either since the factory balljoints aren't replaceable. You have to buy complete front lower control arms. But, at least you get new bushings with them.

I got separate ball joints...

I'll just have to remember what they were

found it...Moog part number MOK500033

Vibration? Could this be the cause of the slight vibration I feel around 60mph that comes and goes? I've been chasing this thru balancing the wheels to no avail.

I would almost guarantee it...

I went through the same thing and it drove me crazy.

Wheel balance,checked for bent rims, changed pads twice, checked rotors...

Never once did I suspect worn ball joints with this low mileage but once they were changed, problem solved.

BTW...they wern't a little worn, they were a lot worn

My Goodyear buddy told me mine need to be replaced and are expensive. There is nothing noticable while driving yet. What should I tell him to get (reasonable replacement) and about how much cost am I looking at.

If anyone comes across a TSB, please let us know. Casey

I have not seen a TSB on the ball joints (I've been searching) but there is a TSB on the lower control arm bushings. Grabber had a thread on this some time ago. Because the entire arm is replaced with this TSB you will have new ball joints if you qualify for the control arm bushing replacement. Now that I'm paying more attention I'm certain I have a bushing issue as well. I just prefer to replace with better then OEM if give the choice hence I'm leaning towards the BMR/Shelby control arms.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=51738

• 3 weeks later...

Took it to the FORD dealer. They had the TSB. They drove it some and said they couldnt find the problem. The guy at GoodYear said there was a problem (he is a trusted friend - but not the FORD service shop.

They also told me I had to pay for the TSB. If I were going to do that, they why bring it in for a TSB? Is this true?

Casey

Took it to the FORD dealer. They had the TSB. They drove it some and said they couldnt find the problem. The guy at GoodYear said there was a problem (he is a trusted friend - but not the FORD service shop.

They also told me I had to pay for the TSB. If I were going to do that, they why bring it in for a TSB? Is this true?

Casey

I'm not sure about that....mine would have been done under warranty but they were on b/o for weeks and I wanted them fixed immediately as they already

started to wear my tires.

Archived