TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Baer Extreme Front Kit

03 DSG Snake

I am looking into picking up the Baer Extreme front kit ,but don't prefer drilled rotors at all, especially when taking this thing to the track.

I run my other card on the road course with slotted only Brembo rotors all around, and they work great.

Are any other rotors available for the Baer 6 Piston kit?

I am looking into picking up the Baer Extreme front kit ,but don't prefer drilled rotors at all, especially when taking this thing to the track.

I run my other card on the road course with slotted only Brembo rotors all around, and they work great.

Are any other rotors available for the Baer 6 Piston kit?

Why not step up to the AP kit with slotted-only discs? Then you'd have the option of the matching rear kit later (with no pad knock-back).

I know you have to push your product, but can you explain to me why you think the AP Racing brakes are a "step up" from the Baer Extremes? I am by far not a professional driver, but I have driven both, and do not have the same opinion as yours.

Thanx

Chris

Edit: not trying to start a war, just asking a simple question. :)

I know you have to push your product, but can you explain to me why you think the AP Racing brakes are a "step up" from the Baer Extremes? I am by far not a professional driver, but I have driven both, and do not have the same opinion as yours.

Thanx

Chris

Edit: not trying to start a war, just asking a simple question. :)

No worries. Actually, I don't have to push any product. I looked at your question as something I could genuinely help with, so I decided to reply. I could have let it go by just as easily. If I didn't believe there was much of a difference, I wouldn't bother.

I have spoken to dozens of drivers, many at or near pro level, that have tried many different systems. Their feedback has been pretty consistent and converges on the point that the AP Racing solution is the most consistent, best feeling, most responsive system they have used on the track. Of course, pad choice will have a lot to do with how one driver perceives a system versus another. But this also plays to the advantage of the AP system as so many pad manufacturers provide shapes in most, if not all, of their compounds. Some tuners I have worked with were certain that other systems were as good or better -- until they tried the AP's. Afterwards, you could not get them to go back.

The rear AP system is currently without equal as it relates to pad knock-back with the floating axle, while still retaining the parking brake for street use. It also has a pad and rotor that are appropriately sized for performance and mechanical (as well as thermal) balance. As an engineer, I see no other solution even close as of today. Some of them use a caliper/pad size that is way too large, which means the front pads will get into their thermal sweet spot and the rears never will. It is very difficult to keep a brake system balanced during a run when there is such a large split in temperatures from front to rear.

Keep in mind that AP Racing's experience with brakes goes back about 100 years. They are currently at the top of the heap in Formula 1, NASCAR, DTM, F3, etc., along with OE contracts such as the Bugatti Veyron, McLaren MP4-12C, and so on. Not to belabor the point, but the same engineers get assigned to the road car aftermarket product line. And the performance shows.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Archived