TEAM SHELBY FORUM

N A S A 's Space Shuttle Program goes ByeBye!

It's a sad day at NASA. The space shuttle program is over now, after years of arguably wasted tax dollars.

As far as safety goes, they had a fairly successful track record given how dangerous that process really is? Loading up a cylinder with thousands of gallons of explosive liquid and parking four or five human bodies on top of it, and lighting the fuse! Eeeesshhh!

NOT ME MAN!!

So, with that said...anyone ever see one of these things blast off close up? I don't mean on the nightly news...I mean standing the ,what, two miles away that they make you stand down there in FLA.? It has got to be some kind of sight close up? And the sound???? Anyone...David, you live down that way?

What can possibly be next for them? There is no way in H-LL they will fold up the agency and cease total operations. Maybe they have some other sort of ship under wraps that is safer, faster, and is gonna try to get people to Mars? :headscratch:

It's a sad day at NASA. The space shuttle program is over now, after years of arguably wasted tax dollars.

As far as safety goes, they had a fairly successful track record given how dangerous that process really is? Loading up a cylinder with thousands of gallons of explosive liquid and parking four or five human bodies on top of it, and lighting the fuse! Eeeesshhh!

NOT ME MAN!!

So, with that said...anyone ever see one of these things blast off close up? I don't mean on the nightly news...I mean standing the ,what, two miles away that they make you stand down there in FLA.? It has got to be some kind of sight close up? And the sound???? Anyone...David, you live down that way?

What can possibly be next for them? There is no way in H-LL they will fold up the agency and cease total operations. Maybe they have some other sort of ship under wraps that is safer, faster, and is gonna try to get people to Mars? :headscratch:

The Space Shuttle Program has two flights remaining. The last flight is 28 June.

NOT ME MAN!!

I was living in Florida (Tampa) at the time when the Challenger blew up. When Discovery launched (the first after the Challenger disaster), I drove over to Cocoa Beach to watch it live. Let me tell you, it was an AWESOME event. I wonder what NASA has planned for replacements.

Dan

I've never seen one blast off but we did see the Columbia up on the launch pad while visiting the cape. I did however see the Shuttle land at Edwards...................flipping amazing.

Dan,

Gina and I visited Orlando Fla. many times before my pop died, as he lived down in Oviedo. The first time we ever went down there, he took us on the tour....Disney, Cocoa Beach, RonJons, and the Cape! At that time, we were able to see one of them on the 'tracks' coming out of that humungous bldg. Somewhere, I have still shots of that trip. Anyway, O M G ! The single most 'ominous' sight I have ever laid eyes on!!! It is ungodly huge in stature standing there! And to think they put humans on top and launch that thing to the heavens? It has to be one of the top man made phenomenons??!

The only other thing that comes to mind immediately that was as close to awe inspiring for me, was the trip to Tucson Az. to the old aircraft boneyard, and standing 'UNDER' the wings of a B52 bomber! It was a windy day out, and the wings were actually moving up and down! The wing span on a B52 up close is INCREDIBLE!!!

I was an eye-witness to the Apollo 11 launch, from 5 miles away. The sound was deafening and the sight spectacular.

Having said that, I'm no longer convinced that any Federal space program is worthwhile unless necessary for our nations defense and military capability. Beyond that, private enterprise should be taking any next steps (at no cost to taxpayers).

Wow, I don't know where to begin. No way has the Shuttle program been a waste in my opinion. It is the signal longest and must productive space program in history. It may have lacked the spirit of exploration of the previous NASA manned programs but it made up for it pure science and Industry. We have learned more about our own planet, solar system, and universe in the last 30 years then we have in all recorded time and it's all directly tied to the Shuttle.

Frankly is unfortunate that the Shuttle program has not already been superseded by a more advanced and capable spacecraft. Think about all that NASA, and by extension the United States has done in last 50years in space. From Kennedy's speech to landing on the Moon was less then 10years (a fact often lost is the Apollo program had been in development for 2years at the time of Kennedy's speech)! Imagine anyone, anywhere doing that today! It would take them a twice if not three times that long. Ten years after Apollo we see the Columbia lift off for the 1st time allowing the Shuttle to become a 30year workhorse. The Shuttle program was actually a victim of it's own success. It became so common place and routine in the eyes of the public that when we had the Challanger and Columbia disasters space travel was viewed no differently then a commercial flight. The name 'Shuttle' itself helped sell that notion.

I agree that Space Flight should be given over to the public in a competitive commercial environment. The lack of compitition is the primary reason NASA has fallen short in it's public image. Compition in a Space industry will drive inovation. When NASA introduced the now scrapped Orion project I was greatly disappointed. Public pressure had forced our nation's space program to take a 40year step backwards in design and architecture.

Scaled Composites & Virgin Galactic have the right idea and are truely pushing innovation. Companies like this will be our nation's future in Space. Allow NASA to regulate as does the FAA along with develop complex vehicles for exploration to be carried aloft in commercial rockets. It will have to truely be a new relationship between the Gov. and industry. Because it is truely new, it can establish processes that will help to prevent it from falling into the same traps as our military programs (way behind schedule and insanely over budget.).

I was lucky enough to watch Shuttle launch in 96, it was amazing! I was roughly 15miles away and you could still feel it on your chest! It you are fan of power then you have to catch one of the two final launches. I'm in the raffle for Cape tickets for April's launch. I should find out next week if I'm a lucky winner. If not I'll register for the final launch in June, and regardless if I win right to purchase for that launch I'll be making a trip down from Fort Worth to see it one last time.

I've seen many flights from as close as 10 miles to 50 miles away. They are all unfortgettable.

From the ealry morning view from Cocoa on the St.Johns river, while bald eagles play overhead. Too the disasterous shuttle Columbia that disentigrated just after launch. Blinked my eyes and wondered where it went. Ran inside to see the explosion on TV.

I really don't know if it was or was not a waste of money. I do know, it made me very proud as an American. :salute:

When I think of the human race and of the progress our civilization has made, nothing we have done has come close to space travel. Its a monumental leap for mankind, and yes it may be costly, but there are so many other things we could cut or trim in our "budget" to make room for this program. People need to stop and think beyond the next evolution of the Iphone. There is more to this world than the fasted car or fasted cell phone or biggest house or boots with fur. With all the advancements we make with technology the less we use our own minds, and just rely on computers to think for us. Kind of a sad state of affairs I feel.

/Rant off

Shane

Archived