TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Sell my 2007 GT500 SVT#12

msbmustang54

haha, stop whinging, try 9 bucks a gallon here in the United Kingdom and over 80% of that is tax, and it automatically (the tax) goes up every year with the fuel tax escalator which is built in. Still drive it though, No kids, no one to leave the money to.

Peter

Well since I started this thread I thought I would comment on the gas prices since my temp 3 month contract at Nat Semi is starting it's fourth week and I have been driving 92 to 100 miles every day!

I have been getting around 19mpg l with Justin's tune for high MPG. Thursday last week I paid $4.05 a gal at Costco and of course another $1.50 per tank full for the Octane booster from O'Riley. The booster takes away the little shake/vibration I get in 1st gear. Anyone have any comments on Octane boosters?

Almost to 91K miles now.

MSB Mustang 54 / Mark

• 2 years later...

Thought I would update this thread after two years.

I ended up working as a contractor for National Semi/Texas Instruments for exactly 2 years to the day and my contract expired without renewal March 1! So during the past two years I drove my SVT#12 100 miles every day to work in Silicon Valley and just hit 130K miles! Sometime this week I will be driving it through our brand new tunnel that opened here today on the coastside. (They say it is the first highway tunnel in CA in over 50 years http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/california/New-Devils-Slide-Tunnels-Open-at-the-End-of-Long-Political-Road-199963331.html.)

So I am job hunting again (59 next month) and I have decided to never sell my GT500 SVT#12. Just put in the third set of front brakes (Autozone Duralast CMAX pads and solid rotors and another new wheel stud) and I have gotten used to the funny squeaking noise the McLeod RXT clutch makes engaging into 1st gear. SVT#12 still runs great and gets 20-21 mpg on the highway. Did my fourth oil change with the Castrol Edge Syntec 5w-50 (high zinc) for classic cars. (Sale was ending today at O'Rileys so I bought 5 more qts and a K&N HP-2010 filter for $38)

Any suggestions on other fluids I should change, like the supercharger, or perhaps some bolts to tighten? Is it ime to upgrade the rear diff assembly? (Without a job though it would be hard to sneak the parts costs of an upgrade past the wife. Grabber seems to have solved that problem by getting his wife the same car!)

Thanks everyone for all the help and comments on this forum,

MSB Mustang / Mark

glad to hear you kept it. i'm pretty sure these cars will go at least 150k miles with routine maintenance. as far as i know, the superchargers are sealed from the factory and do NOT require any maintenance or fluid changes. worse come to worse, it would be a great platform to upgrade to an aluminum block crate motor and enjoy for even longer. i'm willing to bet that countless owners of mid-60's shelbys asked themselves the same questions about keeping their aging cars in a changing economic and social landscape and look at those cars now...classics!

Thanks for kind wishes everyone. I will keep you all posted on the job search. A friend from National/TI just went to work for Maxim a few months and submitted my resume and Bob Pease LOR to their audio group for me. Those kinds of contacts are usually 10x more effective than sending in a resume to an online ad or going through a recruiter.

The new tunnel is great. It appears to save almost a mile and a 1/2! Let's see...at 20mpg and around $4 a gal that's 20 Cents per mile so a 60 cent savings for each round trip north through the tunnel!

"2007 Tungsten GT500" - I do not know if the new 2013 5.8 L aluminum block engine will fit in a 2007 with it's dry sump and other features, but if it is possible just replacing the lower 1/2 with an AL block would make a big difference up front. At 130K miles I still do not lose any oil between changes at 6-7K miles...which was about every 3-4 months. Now the only time I will be driving that far south will be when I will be going to a few Sharks games.

With regards to lots of miles... I believe I read somewhere that Shelby's daughter put a lot of miles on one of his 1960's car's that he gave her? 300k+ maybe? Can't find that article now though.

MSB Mustang / Mark

• 3 weeks later...

glad to hear you kept it. i'm pretty sure these cars will go at least 150k miles with routine maintenance. as far as i know, the superchargers are sealed from the factory and do NOT require any maintenance or fluid changes. worse come to worse, it would be a great platform to upgrade to an aluminum block crate motor and enjoy for even longer. i'm willing to bet that countless owners of mid-60's shelbys asked themselves the same questions about keeping their aging cars in a changing economic and social landscape and look at those cars now...classics!

I bet most of the Shelby original buyers from the 60s passed away before the year 1999. So future values meant 0

Glad to hear you plan on keeping the car, they are a blast and yours definitely has a fairly unique pioneering heritage.

If you are worried about the miles on your blower, there should be plenty of low mileage takeoffs out there you could snap up for cheap.

That would also be a good time to try a smaller upper pulley as well, you can just switch between economy or performance tunes when you need to.

The 2.59" ones are just under $100 now, and really help to give some extra zip.

On a side note, I also noticed that you are a high end audio guy as well, and being close to my age you should be familar with the popular vintage audio gear.

The day I picked up my new 08GT500, I brought it straight home and parked it in the garage.

Early the next day I borrowed my brothers van and drove 2800km down to Baton Rouge Lousianna to pick up a pair of IRS Betas I had found online.

I did the trip in only 4 days, and spent over $650 in gas alone, hows that for dedication to the hobby?

The guy that was selling them for a friend, couldn't believe I drove all the way down there to get them.

For me though, that was the only way I could guarantee they wouldn't get damaged during shipping.

He worked in a high end shop that carrying specialized in McIntosh, Martin Logan and similar big $ equipment, and even they were blown away when they test fired the Betas before the sale.

He described it as like "listening to a wall of sound", wish I had been there for that as he had about 50K worth of McIntosh tube gear powering them.

He had another friend who was familiar with bass servo setups helping him to set them up, and the friend offered to buy them right on the spot.

At the same time another potential buyer from the U.K. offered to pay his full asking price plus shipping costs, as well as another 1K for me to walk away from the deal as well.

I told him heck no, and did end up with them though, and have not regretted it for a second.

Not only do they sound amazing, their cabinets are built like high end furniture with exotic wood.

To be honest with you, if I had to make a choice between the car or the audio gear, I don't know what I would of done.

It may sound strange to some, but it is just one of those things that you either "get it" or you don't :)

Keep your chin up and ask the good Lord to help you out...I was laid off in 2009 and was trying to figure out how I was going to pay child support...called the AG's office and they said their records indicated that my obligation had ended...Woo Hoo! I was out of work for 17 months, looking at my 08 SGT in the garage that I was still paying for and thinking to myself that she was about to have to be sold to continue to make ends meet...got lucky and landed a job with the City here in Odessa, Texas...back at the hole in the paper as I used to work for the Police Department here back in the mid 70's...I'm now almost 56, so I know exactly how you feel...God does take care of us if we ask him to...Trust in him and turn it all over to him...

• 2 weeks later...

MSB64

Is MSB64 and audio related name? Last week TI got rid of the last 2 audio people in the National Offices in Santa Clara out of 90 people a year and 1/2 ago. The take over is nearly complete with all the original National Semiconductor engineers in the audio group gone now. I have been in High End audio most of my life and just got into Mustangs in 2005 when they finally made one my big body fit into! PM me if you want to talk about "MSB Audio". I mostly design D/A preamps now based on the National LME parts I helped to develop.

MotorJock205,

Thanks for the kind wishes. I do know that God takes care (I just realized CAR is part of CARE) of us and something will turn up for me. In the mean time I enjoy the time off and driving my Shelby around town... and sometimes to San Jose Sharks games. On the way to the game last night I stopped to get gas and a "kid" asked me about my Shelby. I told him it was SVT#12 and gave him my history. He is trying to buy a 2010. 25 years old or so and already getting a Shelby! I had to wait until ...uh...52!

Best Audio Regards,

MSB Mustang

Archived